Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • In this book of stories and essays about fatherhood and Mangalore (see SALE DETAILS in last post):

--A Dutch artist and loving father finds himself lost in Thailand, takes an overdose of Valium, and dies, only to have his corpse sent to his young children.
    --An author thinks of a book as if it were a child, and suffers the same trauma when his books "die."
    --A son who has been arrogant and condescending towards his old father, suddenly finds that the father is ageing and that he might lose him; he begins to appreciate his father's true greatness, which his own personal sense of injury had hidden from him; he hastens to bring a long-forgotten and unpublished book of his father's into existence, and has the pleasure of seeing him become, in the world's eyes, an author, less than two years before his death.
    --What would be the most appropriate monument to commemorate the visits of the great South Indian monarch, Tippu Sultan, to Mangalore?
    The author's passion, humor, humanity, and feeling, are all blended together, in varying amounts, in this eclectic book by the author of the acclaimed novel "The Revised Kama Sutra."
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051OEQPA

Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/64287

Sony: http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/richard-crasta/father-rebel-and-dreamer/_/R-400000000000000406438

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
Congratulations on your book, Richard!

(If you've gotten this welcome before, it's just as a matter of housekeeping. We like to put a copy of the "welcome letter" in each book thread. It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, it just helps us know that you know the rules.)

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . .there are details there about how you can be listed so that our readers can find you.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A very personal story, written as therapy, with insights into Mangalore, my home town. A very eclectic book for all those who have lost something very personal and precious.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all,

If you are looking for a Fathers Day gift for an unusual, intelligent father--who has had some sadness in his life, this may fit.

If you want to give the gift of pure laughter, my choice would be "I Will NOT Go the F*** to Sleep"--my new book.

And "Eaten by the Japanese"--my father-son collaboration story--is a touching father son story along with being a POW memoir.

Yes, I know, the price of the first book has gone up--my audience is small and selective, which is why I have to charge a bit more.

thank you,
Richard

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Down to 1.99 on Smashwords.
would love your opinion of the cover, by the way.
thanks
Richard

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, now at Smashwords, Sony, Itunes, Kobo.
Short but sweet.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And Merry Xmas if I don't have the chance to say so . . . and a Happy New Year.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me with my Mother
Friday, January 20, 2012
Father, Rebel, Dreamer: An Excerpt
An Excerpt from this Eclectic, surprisingly varied book:

This is why every act of injustice matters, is important. For injustice is like a cancer, like a hundred thousand cancers growing in the different body parts of society.
Just the other day, legendary Indian editors N.Ram and Vinod Mehta were on a television show discussing journalistic ethics. But do they truly care and ensure that they and every employee of theirs, while wielding their enormous power, try to be just in every instance? And what about in publishing, which is an arm of the Press, a tool of freedom of expression and the democratic process of debate and of intellectual enquiry: does it not too deserve an Ombudsman?
To return to the story of Beauty Queens, Children and the Death of Sex: About two months before the launch date, the editor who had embraced the original manuscript and concept so enthusiastically was suddenly determined to suppress a few chapters. I resisted those attempts, but did not have the energy or the heart to withdraw a book that had been growing for seven months in my womb, and within two months would be out and alive in the world, a loveable if somewhat defective creature. So I compromised and accepted some cuts, though not all the cuts I noticed when the book actually came out.
So the baby that emerged was a book in which some parts had been ripped out: a baby missing an arm, say. However, because the ripping out was hurried, not all and indeed not most of the dangerous elements of the book had been cleanly ripped out. Which is not so easy to do with my work; a fan of my next book, Impressing the Whites, remarked that if I had submitted it to a regular Indian publisher, the final printed work, after the publisher had cut out the dangerous material, would have contained just two pages: the title page, and the Acknowledgments page So the end product was still dangerous, though somehow damaged, bleeding, not whole, lacking its integrity, a flawed child.

And this snippet about Mangalore:
And now, twenty-four tumultuous years later, I was on my way to see Dennis, a little nervous yet excited about the beans he might spill.
At the bus stand, where yellow-plastic-enclosed copies of "Rati Shastra" (the poor Indian's "Sensuous Man"-but this is a post‑1970 development) are still sold side-by-side with oranges and jasmine flowers, I took an autorickshaw past Kirti Mahal, St. Mary's Convent, and St. Joseph's Bakery to the path through dense tropical foliage-you had to walk now, assuming you could pick up your pulverized bones and step out of the auto‑rickshaw-and you were now in front of the bamboo‑obstacle that was the gate to Dennis's house.
This was pretty much the route I had traversed as a child. Things hadn't changed all that much since then. Dennis's house, an old, tiled affair with a veranda and a porch, enveloped in a leafy cocoon of tropical darkness, recalled that very time. As did the cobwebbed yellow walls, on which stained gloomy, framed photographs of various dead relatives lying in state alternated with occasional wedding photographs of assorted relatives, the newlyweds seemingly in a state of shock. A single, dominant steel cross completed the picture: Mangalore's obsession with death, marriage, and religion. Dennis, a lean man in a chocolate-brown sweater, lungi, and crudely cut leather sandals, his scarecrow frame topped by a shock of white Bertrand Russell hair, his glass-magnified eyes, Dr. Spock ears, and bony, accusing fingers magnifying the impression of eccentric intensity, looked most of his ninety-five years-until he started to hold forth from his "easy chair" pulpit in the manner and voice of an ancient but impassioned priest.

Also on Apple, Amazon Kindle, Nook, etc:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051OEQPA
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/64287

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now on sale on Kindle.
thank you.
richard

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A thoughtful Valentine's Day gift for a thoughtful father--any father?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eclectic.
"Eaten by the Japanese"--another of my books that would make a great gift to a father or to a veteran.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On sale at Smashwords. Look for the coupon code. All my books on Smashwords on Sale.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,
This book is half price on Smashwords till March 30, along with 5 other titles:

Details below:

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/richardcrasta

FATHER, REBEL, DREAMER
Promotional price: $2.00
Coupon Code: ZB46F
Expires: March 30, 2012

The Revised Kama Sutra: A Novel
Promotional price: $4.00
Coupon Code: BT74M
Expires: March 31, 2012

The Hunger for Touch and Love
Promotional price: $3.00
Coupon Code: RX85Q

EATEN BY THE JAPANESE
Promotional price: $2.50
Coupon Code: BT83R

I WILL NOT GO THE F TO SLEEP
Promotional price: $2.23
Coupon Code: TY73Z
Expires: March 30, 2012

LORD BUSH OF IRAQ
Promotional price: $0.99
Coupon Code: ZM64G

thanks!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last day of sale tomorrow.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Available on all major platforms including Apple, Amazon, Nook, etc.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Remembering my father today, on Memorial Day. He is also the author of "Eaten by the Japanese."

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is one kind of Fathers Day book, and it is complemented by my new book:

FATHERHOOD IS ETERNAL: Letters to My Sons

If, as Franz Kafka said, a book ought to be the axe for the frozen sea inside us, my hunch is that this is one such book.

thanks!
Richard

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Terrorist Mother-in-Law will send chills through your spine

1 - 20 of 36 Posts