Kindle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
and by the time he got to the series finale, The High King
, he had produced a book worthy of even the most sophisticated reader.
I cried when I came to the end of The High King--I didn't want the series to end! And this was when (gulp) I was in grad school and discovered the wonderful series as part of my Children's Literature course.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
You may be the first person I've encountered who prefers Way Station over City. ;) (I've lost track of how many times I've read City.)
I think there are a number of us on the Simak mailing list who prefer it, but maybe only by 0.001%. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think my favorite book is 'The Last Unicorn' by Peter S. Beagle.

I also love Watership Down, The Neverending Story, The Chronicles of Narnia, To Kill a Mockingbird, His Dark Materials, Sherlock Holmes, The Bell Jar- Too many to name! If anyone hasn't read all the books/series I just listed I highly encourage them to check them out! I wish they were all available for Kindle :(

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
There are too many to choose from... usually my fav is whatever book I am currently reading! I guess I could say that one of my most recent favorites is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. This book was not one that I would have picked to read... it is not a mystery, or supernatural, or scary, or sci-fi, but is was one that my bookclub chose for a summer read about 2 years ago and I fell in love with this author. Rivers used to write romance novels and that is not my genre of choice!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
snapcat said:
I think my favorite book is 'The Last Unicorn' by Peter S. Beagle.

I also love Watership Down, The Neverending Story, The Chronicles of Narnia, To Kill a Mockingbird, His Dark Materials, Sherlock Holmes, The Bell Jar- Too many to name! If anyone hasn't read all the books/series I just listed I highly encourage them to check them out! I wish they were all available for Kindle :(
Thanks for the contributions. When I next buy a book, I'm going to browse the Kindleboards first!

The Chronicles of Narnia are available on Kindle, as are the complete Sherlock Home. The one below has been recommended by the Kindleboard readers as it has the original illustrations

The Last Unicorn, To Kill a Mockingbird, Watership Down, The Neverending Story, His Dark Materials, and the Bell Jar are not available on Kindle. I've clicked on all of them, requesting them on Kindle. Here in the Book Corner, we encourage people to click through and request books not yet on Kindle on behalf of each other! I've provided live links to all of the books.

Betsy

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
My husband's favorite book is Clifford the Big Red Dog. At least that is what he always tells people when asked!

From Betsy: you can request that it be Kindlized! LOL!

·
Registered
677 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I read Outlander when it was first published in 1991(?) and DG was upset that they put it on the Romance shelves in the bookstores. I don't blame her. Back then, romance = bodice ripper and Outlander is way above that level. Not that I don't like bodice rippers, but that's a whole different genre.

Yes, Outlander is probably my favorite book. I read it at least once a year ... humor, suspense, action, history. The romance portion of the book I would define by the horse master's comments to Claire at Castle Leoch. In 50 years Laoghaire will still be a girl. What Jamie needs is a woman (Claire).

None of the series after that (originally intended to be five books, but now eight) lived up to Outlander's promise. For me, they went steadily downhill. That's why DG is not on my list of favorite authors.

My two favorite authors are Susan Howatch (Her historical fiction and Church of England series, but not the gothic mysteries) and J.K. Rowling.

Link to Outlander
:

I thought there were only 6 books so far. The last one I read was A Breath of Snow and Ashes, with another book to come out in 09. Please don't tell me I have missed any. I LOVE the series.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Have to admit I am a big romance reader, but surprisingly none of my favorites are in that genre.
As a kid my all time favorite was A Wrinkle in Time.
Later it switched to Clan of the Cave Bear.
I also liked Ken Grimwood's Replay
and all 9 of Robin Hobb's Farseer/Liveship/Fool books

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Just one? Can't do it.

1. Harry Potter Series (Goblet of Fire is my Favorite)..Not on Kindle
2. Outlander Series (Outlander is my Favorite)
3. Water for Elephants (AMAZING BOOK! Listen to the Audio version..TRUST ME!)
4. If Tomorrow Ever Comes by Sidney Sheldon..Not on Kindle
5. Dragonlance Chronicles..Not on Kindle
6. Imzadi (Star Trek)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Angela said:
My husband's favorite book is Clifford the Big Red Dog. At least that is what he always tells people when asked!

From Betsy: you can request that it be Kindlized! LOL!
thanks Betsy, but if Larry wants Clifford kindlized, he's gonna have to buy his own Kindle cause I ain't sharing!! ;D

·
Registered
25 Posts
For me, it's always a tie between Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre.

Kat

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Kat said:
For me, it's always a tie between Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre.

Kat
I was browsing through Amazon a little bit ago, and Jane Eyre just came out on Kindle for 80 cents. It's supposedly typeset just for Kindle.

They have a few classics listed that way, and I think they were all 80 cents.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I couldn't actually limit myself to a single favorite, but if there was one book that I've reread more than any other (and would LOVE to have on the Kindle to make it easier to continue to do so), it would be The Mote in God's Eye, by Niven and Pournelle. I've already read my original edition paperback (bought ages ago) that now it's just held together with rubber bands...!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have not been a reader in past but since Kindle I read The Lucky One and liked the style of Nicholas Sparks.  My niece is bringing me her dead tree versions of many of his books.  Tradeoff is that she wants to read The Shack and Dreams From my father on my Kindle.  I will probably suffer separation anxiety over this deal.  She has loved Kindle for a year now and had not seen one until I stopped by her office and pulled it out of my purse.  She went into shock.

·
Registered
829 Posts
No way can I limit it to one... here are a few of my favorites:

41 - 60 of 75 Posts