Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was just wondering where everyone likes to get their favorite fabrics from - either when you're sewing, quilting, whatever the case might be. I only know of a few here that I visit quite often - Joann's and Hancock Fabrics, and I've been looking for a few new places to try. Of course, it probably won't be local, but post anyway.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm not into this kind of stuff. But where I live in Canada (Vancouver, BC), there is a HUGE international community. Lots of Indian stores with very fancy looking fabrics and such.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I don't visit them very often either, but we have a Joann's and a Hancock's too and the former seems to be the superior of the two by quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
About 20 years ago, I worked for a regional discount fabric store called "Piece Goods Shop".  The District manager said that fabric stores were struggling because the younger women did not sew like the older women.  I think that chain finally ended up in bankruptcy.

More recently, even the Walmart stores are eliminating their fabric departments as they remodel stores.  The only fabric store we have left in our city is JoAnn Fabrics.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Neither of my daughters sew.  My Mom signed me up for sewing lessons because my Dad bought her a sewing machine and she didn't want it to go to waste! (She had no intention of learning how)  haha!  I don't think people sew like they used to, although if you subscribe to Threads magazine, they show such beautiful work, it makes you want to try!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went through a whole phase of trying to sew, but I eventually gave up after a few months. I'm starting to pick up on it again. I really want to take some classes, but I never have the push to actually go sign up. I really want to make my own bags and pajama pants.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
As a quilter, I shop for fabrics wherever I find them. ;D If we're in a town and it has a fabric shop, and I like one of the fabrics, I get a bit (typically a 1/2 yard). In Alexandria, I'm fortunate to be close to some quilt shops in Burke and Fairfax, so I buy from them. I also buy from G Street Fabrics, which has stores in Gaithersburg and Falls Church. Occasionally from Hancock, as that is close to my house, if I need something basic (plus Hancock used to be Minnesota Fabrics, my mom liked to patronize them. :D) I don't buy much now, the house is full.

from my blog www.betsytruedesigns.blogspot.com

Betsy

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I would love to be able to sew, but my creativity out-weighs my sewing ability. I have several times thought,"hmm I can do that, Looks easy enough for me to try."  Several projects have started with good intentions, but my intentions still don't turn out a pretty end result lol.

Betsy I am in awe of your workspace. I love how you have everything labeled on your pic. You obviously have a passion and a knack!

Back to the original question, I've always just went to jo'anns or hancock fabricks or hobby lobby.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Joann's is my favorite fabric store, but I am probably prejudiced. My mom was a manager of a Joann's for 10 years. I feel like I grew up there. I feel very nostalgic every time I go into the store she managed.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
lynninva said:
About 20 years ago, I worked for a regional discount fabric store called "Piece Goods Shop". The District manager said that fabric stores were struggling because the younger women did not sew like the older women. . . .
I made my own clothes from about 8th grade through 6 years of college. Once I started working full time, it was over. Many years after that, I gave away my Singer sewing machine. I doubt that I will ever buy another, but it seems that it would be pretty easy to make laptop sleeves and the like.

Oh, and the Singer was a hand-down from my great aunt Cornelia (RIP).

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Joann's for notions, and for fabrics for DD (cotton prints, cozy flannels, warm fleece). G Street for anything a bit fancier (got the fabric for my custom Borsa Bella there). I have long lists of mail order fabric stores and what they specialize in, but I prefer to feel a fabric and see the drape, so I almost always buy hands-on.

When I bought my house 17 years ago, there was a Minnesota Fabrics within walking distance. That added to the neighborhood's appeal... Unfortunately it closed a couple of years later, and the place is a car parts store now. :p

I also used to look at fabric stores when I travelled... still have a stash of half a dozen flower prints from Hawaii... and half a dozen colors of raw silk from a 90%-off sale in Germany.... I don't dare buy any fabrics for myself anymore, since I probably have enough to last me the rest of my life!
And yet... I know I'll buy more...

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Susan,
In the 70's my employment caused me to be based in London (family stayed there) and I traveled 60% of the time.
Almost all in third world countries.

Brought back some "things" for the wife.
Got a damasc tablecloth from Syria.
And a some yardage of silk from Thailand.
Some of it she hasn't cut into yet.

But the best fabric stores can be "other countries".  Batic from Indonesia.

Oh well - long ago and far away.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Thank you for reminding me....  I have a gorgeous lace tablecloth from Cyprus that I have never used because "it's too nice to use"  --  silly idea!  --  the older I get, the more I realize that it's important to USE the good china, glasses, tablecloths etc., but I had completely forgotten about the ones from travels.  (Proof that I have too much stuff, if I can forget I even have some of it!)

And yes, I should cut into my silk too!  I really have no excuse for letting that sit for, hmmm, about 20 years now...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am addicted to etsy...  the site has a very nice selection of sellers who provide a large selection of fabrics and sewing supplies at a pretty nice price.

I go to JoAnns and there is a small quilt shop near me that I can order fabric from.  :)

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
geoffthomas said:
Betsy,
In addition to Joanns and Hancock and Gstreet;
My wife also likes Capital Quilts in Gaithersburg
and Patches in Mount Airy.

Just sayin...
Yes, Geoff, been to both of those, don't cross the river very much. ;D I've been to Capital Quilts more than Patches, need to do a field trip sometime.

The Artful Quilter in Burke is another great store, as well as the Quilt Patch in Fairfax.

Betsy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts