Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love movies! the family used to have blockbuster online, but cancelled it. Miss it though...it allowed me to indulge my crave for entertainment. Sometimes I find I make great movie discoveries when I ask someone.."What's your favorite movie?"

My favorite movie: Pan's Labyrinth.


Although its not a movie would think I like with me being the hyper youngster and a constant optimist. Still as much as I like happy-go-luck stories. I LOVE my dark fantasy.
Its about a little girl, Ophelia, who loves books especially her fairy tales. During WWII, her mother remarries and the new family is expecting a new baby. With the birth of her new sibling nearing, she and her mother join Ophelia's step-father (who is a sadistic EVIL man) in the forest base that he charges. During her time at the mansion in the middle of this dark forest, Ophelia meets a fairy, who leads her to a faun. The faun informs her of her past life, where she was a princess of a hidden kindom, but first she has tasks to complete before her return...thus starting her adventure. I would recommend this to many. Although the movie revolves around a little girl, this movie isn't for most children. The movie include some graphic scenes of violence. I love the movie for its supernatural aspects and the fact the story is different from what I see released again and again. Its a Spanish movie and isn't dubbed. So if you watch it, you'll have subtitles to read, but with this being a kindler site...i don't think many of you would mind the subtitles.
Here's the US trailer.
 
G

·
Sorry, but I'm old. I really enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth. LR and I discussed and debated it all the way home, which is always the mark of a good movie. But none of my favorite movies have been released in the last 15+ years.

1. Lawrence of Arabia
2. The Big Chill
3. It's a Wonderful Life
4, The Empire Strikes Back
5. The Maltese Falcon
6. Monty Python & the Holy Grail
7. Fiddler on the Roof
8. Brazil
9. Blade Runner
10. Raiders of the Lost Ark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
My favorite is "Shawshank Redemption"

Pan's Labyrinth is a good movie also (have it in my collection)


Fiddler on the Roof Jim?  Really?    ;)

I tend to enjoy quite a variety of films (kind of like my taste in music), everything from old Clint Eastwood westerns to Akira Kurosawa.
 
G

·
J. Steinbeck said:
My favorite is "Shawshank Redemption"

Pan's Labryinth is a good movie also (have it in my collection)

Fiddler on the Roof Jim? Really? ;)

I tend to enjoy quite a variety of films (kind of like my taste in music), everything from old Clint Eastwood westerns to Akira Kurasawa.
You gotta problem with Fiddler? Best. Movie. Musical. Ever.
 
G

·
J. Steinbeck said:
I put it somewhere between Oklahoma and Moulin Rouge
Of course, you're a robot. Which gives you a different point of view (heartless, cold and technological) than mine. I can understand your point of view, as abhorrent and chillingly insidious as it is.

*puls out a mega-magnet and puts it on Steinbeck's head*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
J. Steinbeck said:
I put it somewhere between Oklahoma and Moulin Rouge
I LOVE Moulin Rouge!!!!! I am still searching for the complete soundtrack...not just the top ten songs people love from the musical. Maybe I should just download it. I still buy cds.
 
G

·
Vegas_Asian said:
I LOVE Moulin Rouge!!!!! I am still searching for the complete soundtrack...not just the top ten songs people love from the musical. Maybe I should just download it. I'm still buy cds.
Of course you do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
My favorite musical would have to be "The Sound of Music" the cinematography and production went hand in hand with a good script and music. I also thought very highly of The Music Man and South Pacific.

*starts singing cold, heartless, and insidious Folk Songs due to magnet*
 
G

·
J. Steinbeck said:
My favorite musical would have to be "The Sound of Music" the cinematography and production went hand in hand with a good script and music. I also thought very highly of The Music Man and South Pacific.
The Music Man is my third favorite musical. Mostly because of the sheer bizarrely interesting and wildly different music. ("He Doesn't Know the Territory" is pretty much a sound poem, while "Till There Was You" is almost operatic, and the score includes a huge variety of songs in between the two motifs.)

Plus, Preston gives a great performance. Shame he had to mock it in The Last Starfighter. :(

My #2 musical is Jesus Christ, Superstar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Sorry, but I'm old. I really enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth. LR and I discussed and debated it all the way home, which is always the mark of a good movie. But none of my favorite movies have been released in the last 15+ years.

1. Lawrence of Arabia
2. The Big Chill
3. It's a Wonderful Life
4, The Empire Strikes Back
5. The Maltese Falcon
6. Monty Python & the Holy Grail
7. Fiddler on the Roof
8. Brazil
9. Blade Runner
10. Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Big Chill! It is one of my favorite movies too. I still listen to the soundtrack often. It is the music of my youth. You know what Kevin Klines character says about music in the movie...
 
G

·
Mollyb52 said:
The Big Chill! It is one of my favorite movies too. I still listen to the soundtrack often. It is the music of my youth. You know what Kevin Klines character says about music in the movie...
"There IS no other music! Not in this house."

Or did you mean the follow-up?

Michael: You know, Harold, there's been a lot of terrific music in the last ten years."
Harold: Like what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
"There IS no other music! Not in this house."

Or did you mean the follow-up?

Michael: You know, Harold, there's been a lot of terrific music in the last tem years."
Harold: Like what?
Bacardi Jim said:
"There IS no other music! Not in this house."

Or did you mean the follow-up?

Michael: You know, Harold, there's been a lot of terrific music in the last tem years."
Harold: Like what?
Another of my favorite lines is..Meg: I think I'll wash my hair and puke.
Michael: Puke first. Sick but it always cracks me up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
J. Steinbeck said:
Help me Obi-wan-Kenobi......You're my only Hope!! ;)
Hey Star Wars I that's the first Ewan Mcgregor movie I saw..it also started that crush. lol. I was 10/11 at the time of that release.
 
1 - 20 of 100 Posts
Top