Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I'm not a big fan, so my vote probably shouldn't count. By far my favorite is Good Omens, which may be one of my top 10 by any authors, but that's only half his. Of the other few books of his I've read, I'd probably go with Neverwhere. Amercian Gods wasn't bad, but never really clicked for me (plus I kept thinking of Douglas Adams' The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul while reading it). I never got around to finishing Stardust, as I found I couldn't care much less what happened to any of the characters.

I agree that his writing is very good, but his themes and characters seem not to resonate well with me, so generally I come away from his stuff with a fairly luke-warm response.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Neverwhere, definitely. The others are great but...

The first one of his I read was Stardust. I thought, this is pretty good. Then I read American Gods and Anansi Boys and I thought, hot damn, even better! Then I read Neverwhere... It's like they just kept getting better and better ;)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Good Omens.

/thread. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
While it's a short story and not a book, 'A Study in Emerald' is brilliant and one of my favorite Gaiman reads. A Sherlock Holmes/Lovecraft mashup? Lovely.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Even though it's not 100% Gaiman, I have to say Good Omens, because it's probably my favorite book ever. Neverwhere is great, though, and I have a soft spot for Smoke & Mirrors because I read it on a ghost hunting trip once so it reminds me of ghost hunting in northern Ohio.

R. Reed said:
American Gods is reportedly being made into an HBO series.
Good Omens is being made into a mini-series, too, I believe, but I don't know for who. And I think Pratchett is a little more involved than Gaiman is.

·
Registered
94 Posts
backthatelfup said:
While it's a short story and not a book, 'A Study in Emerald' is brilliant and one of my favorite Gaiman reads. A Sherlock Holmes/Lovecraft mashup? Lovely.
I just got this via Fragile Things on my Kindle recently and I must say, I agree. I even read it out loud to my husband on a car trip right after I'd read it to myself. I said to him, "A Sherlock Holmes/Lovecraft cross...you wouldn't think it was possible!" But then, Mr. Gaiman is brilliant ;)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Smoke And Mirrors for me... the range of his writing displayed in the stories and poems in that book is amazing.

If you think the Sherlock/Lovecraft cross is brilliant, wait till you read the Lovecraft/Peter Cook & Dudley Moore hybrid in S&M...

James

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
American Gods is easily one of my favorite books of all time.  He writes a passage, near the beginning, where the hero thinks about when and why he first fell in love with his wife that is one of may all-time favorite passages explaning WHY you fall in love with someone...ever.

·
Registered
692 Posts
love,love,love me some American Gods. It's the only ebook I've ever spent $10 on, and I already own the paperback. It's one of my favorites of all time. A writing group once compared one of my books to Gaiman, and I was embarrassed at the praise. He's flippin' amazing.

But I've been a fanboy since way back in the Sandman days.

And Death: The High Cost of Living and Sandman: A Game of You and Season of Mists are also amazing. They elevated the comic book form.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts