Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posted in another thread about books I've been reading to my kids.
We are always looking for suggestions.

Have read many, some of our favorites: Where the Red Fern Grows, Tom Sawyer, Mr. Poppers Penguins, Indian in the Cupboard

What have you read to your kids?

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Great question.

When my children were very small I read poetry and short stories to them: A Child's Garden of Verses, Anderson's fairytales, etc.

I think the first full books were the James Fenimore Cooper Leatherstocking Tales pentalogy. Maybe not all of them. I don’t remember now. Here are some others that come to mind:

The Jungle Books
Mary Poppins
Little Women
Moby Dick
The Call of the Wild
White Fang
The Sea Wolf
A Swiss Family Robinson
Robinson Crusoe

Reading to them turned my children into readers but my grandchildren don’t like me to read to them. If it doesn’t have a joystick, they’re not interested.

Jeff

·
Registered
377 Posts
Btw, I'm talking about regular dead tree books here, altho some are available on Kindle I suppose...

Here are some of our family favorite classics (covering several different age groups here and in no particular order):

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
The Earthsea series by Ursulas K. Le Guin
Misty of Chincoteague

anything Beatrix Potter for the wee little ones
Stuart Little

Frank L Baum's Oz books
Treasure Island
the Tarzan books by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Where the wild things are

Goodnight Moon

the Runaway Bunny

the Velveteen Rabbit

Charlotte's Web

I actually bought both of these to my Kindle for me to read since it's been so long since I've read them (and they were super inexpensive, too:

The Secret Garden
by Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Wind in the Willows
by Kenneth Grahame

·
Registered
88 Posts
My favorites to read aloud to kids are Roald Dahl's children's books (I can't stress strongly enough that it be his children's books, I won't make that mistake twice), and A.A. Milne's Pooh stories. Alas, none of which are available on the Kindle yet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
quickfics said:
My favorites to read aloud to kids are Roald Dahl's children's books (I can't stress strongly enough that it be his children's books, I won't make that mistake twice), and A.A. Milne's Pooh stories. Alas, none of which are available on the Kindle yet.
Oh, yes, of course - the Pooh books are one of our favorites, too. We even had a tabby cat named "Tigger."

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quickfics said:
Good Suggestion about Roald Dahl. My oldest had to read his autobiography Boy over the summer and has read many on his own, but the 2nd son hasn't so...
James and the Giant Peach or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Or a different one?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
chynared21 said:
My daughter enjoyed Tales of Despereaux and James and The Giant Peach. I read them to her when she was in Kindergarten and she just loved them :)
Tales of Despereaux is now a movie. I don't know when they are releasing it, but I saw the previews when I took my granddaughter to see HSM 3.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
We just finished a read-aloud of Harry Potter and we're starting on Chronicles of Narnia. My kids also enjoy the Warriors series and if I don't read Star Wars to my son a couple of times a week he freaks out. My middle girls also like the Disney Fairies series.

Here are a few others:

Sing Down the Moon
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Shiloh
Number the Stars
Call it Courage
The Sign of the Beaver
Anne of Green Gables
The Secret Garden

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
My kids loved the Oz books.

The grandkids just love books, period. We have almost all the Seuss books here and they always bring a backpack full when they come to visit. Jackson (almost 6) wants to read to me now!!  :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mom of 4 said:
Just posted in another thread about books I've been reading to my kids.
We are always looking for suggestions.

Have read many, some of our favorites: Where the Red Fern Grows, Tom Sawyer, Mr. Poppers Penguins, Indian in the Cupboard

What have you read to your kids?
I always loved reading Dr Seuss to the kids, especially "Green Eggs & Ham" & "Oh, the Places You'll Go"

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
One of the greatest joys I remember from when my children were little was having them help read. When they were learning their letters I'd point to the a's and I's and let them say them. They thought that was really neat, that they could read. Later we moved on to the big words like "and" and "the". Wish I was nearer my grandchildren so we could make the same memories.  :'(

·
Registered
26,676 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I don't have kids, but I don't remember my parents reading to me. So I asked them if they ever read to me. They said my nanny did. Then when I could speak I started to look at childrens' books and made up my stories to go along with the pictures. My cousin, who I am used to reading to, is starting to do the same.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts