Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are your favorite romantic movies???

mine is notting hill

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hmm. My favorite movie period is The Philadephia Story (the original Katherine Hepburn/James Stewart version), and it's a romance so I guess that would be my favorite. :D

Another oddball romantic comedy favorite is American Dreamer with JoBeth Williams.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I can't possibly narrow it down to one, but here are some of my favorites:

Pride & Prejudice (1995 A&E miniseries starring Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy)
Love, Actually
Bridget Jones's Diary
What a Girl Wants (the father/daughter dance ALWAYS makes me cry)
Notting Hill
Paperback Hero (Australian movie starring Hugh Jackman and Claudia Karvan)
Kate and Leopold
Someone Like You
Shakespeare in Love
One Fine Day
While You Were Sleeping
You've Got Mail

I'm sure I've left out some others that I consider to be great "chick flicks," but these are the ones that immediately come to mind. I admit to being a hopeless romantic as well as a fan of anything with Colin Firth, Hugh Jackman, and Hugh Grant in it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I kinda liked Mama Mia and Love Actually.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
There ya go, Forster! How could I have forgotten Mamma, Mia? I loved it. (Even if I hadn't loved the movie, I'd have loved the scenery. I needed to see the movie a second time if for no other reason than the scenery captivated my attention the first time through. What I wouldn't give for a trip to Greece!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Cindy416 said:
There ya go, Forster! How could I have forgotten Mamma, Mia? I loved it. (Even if I hadn't loved the movie, I'd have loved the scenery. I needed to see the movie a second time if for no other reason than the scenery captivated my attention the first time through. What I wouldn't give for a trip to Greece!
My wife drug me to it. I swear there was only one other guy in the theater so it was just us two guys and about every middle aged women in town, lol.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I'm not a big romance movie (or book) fan, so there are many I've never seen, but probably my favorite is "City of Angels."

·
Registered
2,212 Posts

They eventually remade this as You've Got Mail, and while that version is serviceable enough, it doesn't even begin to touch the original. I watched both movies back-to-back last year, and it was a lot of fun - especially to see a couple of entire scenes from Shop Around The Corner lifted (badly) by You've Got Mail.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lynninva said:
I don't watch movies much anymore. My favorites:

An Affair to Remember
Sleepless in Seattle
You've Got Mail
me either, too busy reading

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Cindy416 said:
I can't possibly narrow it down to one, but here are some of my favorites:

Pride & Prejudice (1995 A&E miniseries starring Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy)
Love, Actually
Bridget Jones's Diary
What a Girl Wants (the father/daughter dance ALWAYS makes me cry)
Notting Hill
Paperback Hero (Australian movie starring Hugh Jackman and Claudia Karvan)
Kate and Leopold
Someone Like You
Shakespeare in Love
One Fine Day
While You Were Sleeping
You've Got Mail

I'm sure I've left out some others that I consider to be great "chick flicks," but these are the ones that immediately come to mind. I admit to being a hopeless romantic as well as a fan of anything with Colin Firth, Hugh Jackman, and Hugh Grant in it.
Wow, my list is almost identical. The only one I can think of adding is Sleepless in Seattle.

Debra

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Zebra, I love Sleepless in Seattle, too.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Cindy416 said:
Zebra, I love Sleepless in Seattle, too.
Darned iPhone! I meant Debra, not Zebra! :-\

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
CS said:

They eventually remade this as You've Got Mail, and while that version is serviceable enough, it doesn't even begin to touch the original. I watched both movies back-to-back last year, and it was a lot of fun - especially to see a couple of entire scenes from Shop Around The Corner lifted (badly) by You've Got Mail.
I can't lie -- I prefer You've Got Mail. :-\

Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth version.)

Adam's Rib

Music and Lyrics, because Pop Goes My Heart.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The English Patient - one of my all time favorite films regardless of genre.

Some others, mostly older films and in some cases not entirely romances in terms of genre:

Sense and Sensibility (1995)
Roman Holiday (1953)
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir(1947)
Brief Encounter(1945)
Say Anything(1989)

The Philadelphia Story(1940)
Bringing Up Baby(1938)
A Very Long Engagement(2004)
Doctor Zhivago(1965)
My Man Godfrey(1936)

Some Like It Hot(1959)
Portrait of Jenny(1948)
Wuthering Heights(1939)
The African Queen(1951)
Gilda(1946)

I could probably go on, but these are all films that I have enjoyed tremendously; in many cases through multiple viewings.

Edit: How could I possibly forget Casablanca?

- Walter.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
My all time favorite movie period is The Way We Were with Robert Redford.

I still cry EVERYTIME at the end. If it's on t.v I can't click past it, I stop everytime. I even no what to expect at the end and I still don't want it to happen every single time.

Robert Redford is my favorite actor also, so maybe he grabs my emotions. I just love that movie.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
MichelleR said:
I can't lie -- I prefer You've Got Mail. :-\
I just think that Margaret Sullavan comes across as crazy-coo coo in the original, and the couple seems doomed
Ok, mine is...
"Shop around the Corner" and "You've Got Mail"
"An Affair to Remember" and "Sleepless in Seattle"
"City of Angels"
Both of the re-makes were Meg Ryan of course... I LoVe Meg Ryan... also loved her in "French Kiss" and "When Harry Met Sally"
Also love "Titanic" and "50 First Dates", "Pretty Woman" and "Sleeping With the Enemy" ;D

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
cheerio said:
what are your favorite romantic movies???

mine is notting hill

OMG! Was that the one that Julia Roberts cursed like a sailor in???? I went to see that with my mother-in-law and felt like crawling under the theater seat... yea, I picked the movie... how dumb was that???? :-[

·
Registered
677 Posts
The Notebook is my favorite.

I also love
Kate & Leopold (my introduction to Hugh)
Pretty Woman
Message in a Bottle
and of course, An Officer and a Gentleman (Richard Gere in Dress Whites - yum)  :p

1 - 20 of 116 Posts