Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It could be from your own work, or not, I don't think it really matters. Just wondering what are some fun, unusual, and quirky superpowers out there in fiction that you really like.

I had one in an old book that I really grew to love. It was a character in a fantasy world and her power was that if anyone stopped specifically looking at her, she was instantly behind them. At first I made it as just kind of a joke. Like, in a world with big powerful fantasy people, she just has this silly power. But after a while I realized that this character was by far the most powerful. Also there was a person with the power to roll things that aren't round on hills that aren't down. That one truly only had ridiculous applications :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pyrokinesis has always been my favorite. But, I was toying with the idea lately of a character in a post-apocalyptic setting whose urine was gasoline.
Ha, nice! I just hope that those powers aren't going to the same character. They'd have to urinate and try not to think about fire, and also fire things while trying not to think about urinating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pyrokinesis is also one of my favorites. And telekinesis. I blame Stephen King's Carrie for that one. LOL Out of my own characters, one of my favorites has the ability to dream the future. It's not something she can control. So she could dream about something that will happen tomorrow, or something that will happen years from now. Could be a dream about someone she knows, could be a complete stranger. I always have a lot of fun with her.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not very original but flight or invisibility would be my favorites. Good for all sorts of escape situations.
Flying would be really cool. I've always wondered about how it would actually play with how thin the air is. Like, how high someone could actually fly with the power of flight? I don't know why, but I wonder about that.

Out of my own characters, one of my favorites has the ability to dream the future. It's not something she can control. So she could dream about something that will happen tomorrow, or something that will happen years from now. Could be a dream about someone she knows, could be a complete stranger. I always have a lot of fun with her.
I love a good dream power storyline! A character having supernatural information can add a whole other level to the story, and dream worlds when done well can be amazing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a negative superpower, but I really enjoyed VE Schwab's The Invisible Life of Addie Larue. Larue makes a bargain to live forever, but the price is that no one ever remembers her.

I think the cost of using a power is often what makes it interesting. It could also be what makes it quirky.

For example, what if you could fly, but every time you took to the air, your vision stops working?

Reactions: Corvid

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For example, what if you could fly, but every time you took to the air, your vision stops working?
That would be a fun one. Honestly, I'd still probably fly around blind. I know it would be a bad decision, but how can you not fly if you know you can fly? Probably would have to duct tape pillows to my body just to be prepared to crash.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I loved the original X Men... I wanted to be Storm as a kid. I haven't really thought about since then, but I think on a practical level, I'd like to be able to be invisible/phase through walls. Walking into a empty bank in the middle of the night and taking a stack would make life easier. And then on a personal level I'd like to read minds, I hate when I don't understand people, or situations, or feel lied to when words and actions don't align, but then I'm also big on privacy and respecting spaces so that one only works if I don't think about it too deep.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I loved the original X Men... I wanted to be Storm as a kid.
Storm was the coolest, and I feel like she secretly had the most powerful power. Would I rather have laser eyes or the power to change ecosystems and feed everyone in the world? Definitely the weather one. Either that or being a blue wooly person.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Storm was the coolest, and I feel like she secretly had the most powerful power. Would I rather have laser eyes or the power to change ecosystems and feed everyone in the world? Definitely the weather one. Either that or being a blue wooly person.
I didn't think about it like that but considering some of the problems we have today, Storm really could be doing the most to save our asses. She did have the best powers IMO, she just took too long with the pageantry of it all and the narration.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'd have to say my favorite is the character in Mystery Men who can only be invisible when no one is looking at him, lol.

If I had to choose a power for myself, though, I would definitely want to be a healer. To cure someone through the power of touch. I can't imagine anything more rewarding.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd have to say my favorite is the character in Mystery Men who can only be invisible when no one is looking at him, lol.

If I had to choose a power for myself, though, I would definitely want to be a healer. To cure someone through the power of touch. I can't imagine anything more rewarding.
Bwhaha! I forgot about mystery men. Invisible when no one is looking was hilarious. Also, when the shoveler pulled out the garden trowel, I was rolling.

That's so true about healing. It would be like a superpower that you give to the world.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't think about it like that but considering some of the problems we have today, Storm really could be doing the most to save our asses. She did have the best powers IMO, she just took too long with the pageantry of it all and the narration.
Ha, yep! She did narrate a lot. If she was just like, boom, lightning mother-f, the bad guys would be so doomed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts