Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
I dug this bit from a recent review of Frantic Planet: Volume I.

I don't know how to explain it other than it's either the extremely well written ramblings of a madman, or he's a genius and I'm too stupid to know what the heck he's saying.

Either way, the writing is highly entertaining. Somehow, he manages, amidst all the creative word play and absurd word pictures he paints, to tap into a vein of vaguely but magically familiar emotions. I can't explain what it is he's doing, all I know is that he's doing it extremely well.

Kind of like the way I read pop science books on physics, and feel smarter for reading it, but five minutes later after I put it down, I still don't quite understand what just happened.
Another review referred to me as "The master of darkness and despair" which would make for a great nickname if I was a UFC fighter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My book got a review on Goodreads which said, "Both Case and Johnny are strong characters who the reader can care for even when they aren't on the best behavior." I thought that was awesome.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
My favorite quote is the title of one of my earliest Amazon reviews: Isaac Asimov Would Have Loved Cyberdrome. It was from author, Dianne Salerni, and she presumably made this statement because in the review she wrote, "This novel reminded me of the earliest Foundation books by Isaac Asimov..." I expect some people might be put off by such an "over-the-top" statement, but since I didn't know her and didn't ask for such a glowing review, it is still my favorite...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am humbled and blessed to have each review for my book, but this is my favorite.  Especially since it's from a complete stranger and I recieved it right after I released my book on Kindle and was so beaten down by traditonal publishing and getting so close etc. 

"i read about this in a thread this afternoon, sampled it, bought it , and read it straight through . all i can say is, keep writing! and let me know when your next book is out- i want that one, too.

really, i'm serious- quit hanging around here looking at reviews. go pour some coffee and get writing!

and, you readers- go ahead and buy this one- it's great! "

·
Registered
589 Posts
I really don't have a favorite, but I like this one because it 'covers' it well...

The Hot Tea series is wonderfully written by first time author Sheila Horgan. Once you get started with Hot Tea and fall in love with the characters you just can't get enough. There is a little something for everyone in each book. A little romance a little mystery and a lot of fun. You won't be disappointed, load up your eReader and grab a cup of tea, sit outside and enjoy! Looking forward to the next installment.

Sheila

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Joseph.Garraty said:
My book got a review on Goodreads which said, "Both Case and Johnny are strong characters who the reader can care for even when they aren't on the best behavior." I thought that was awesome.
Then, I definitely need to read this when I'm not on my best behavior. :D ;)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
From Peace Warrior:

"If you are 9 years old, you might enjoy this novel. The writing is more appropriate for a comic book than a novel. No, I take that back, comic books are better written."

From Peace Army:

"I am very disappointed to find that the second book in the series, "Peace Army", is nothing more than a platform to promote the gay, or homosexual, lifestyle. Extremely disappointed that I bought this garbage. Had I known before, I surely would not have. I would have given this book a minus 5 stars had I been able to."

·
Registered
989 Posts
I got this five-star review on Goodreads once for These Hellish Happenings, and this was all it said:

"This is hilarious."

I don't know why, but I love that review. It makes me very happy.

This is probably my favorite, though:

"...a very original, witty comedy that rushed along apace due to the crisp, refreshing prose style. ... This is one to look out for."

It's not so much what's said (though I like being called 'one to look out for'). It's who said it. This came from a blog called Taliesin Meets the Vampires, and the gentleman who runs the place is not terribly easy to please. I got a better rating from him than he gave Christopher Moore, one of my heroes, so I was a little gobsmacked and delighted about that review. :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
This is one of my favorite quotes from a customer review... and it's the kind I love to see!

"...at least 4 of my friends have bought this book after i talked about it, and really, truly, even if you don't know me, take my word here- buy the book!"

That's the stuff!  Get 'em talking!!  :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
my favorite quote, from a 5 star review (the book has 10 of them) - and it could be just because I'm hungry at the moment :p

Where do I start? Prepare to feast on this scrumptious word meal! If this novel could be described as a cut of beef, then The Depths of Deception would be Prime Rib or better still Filet Mignon! Include your favorite red wine, voila! An all around superb dish.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Steven L. Hawk said:
From Peace Warrior:

"If you are 9 years old, you might enjoy this novel. The writing is more appropriate for a comic book than a novel. No, I take that back, comic books are better written."

From Peace Army:

"I am very disappointed to find that the second book in the series, "Peace Army", is nothing more than a platform to promote the gay, or homosexual, lifestyle. Extremely disappointed that I bought this garbage. Had I known before, I surely would not have. I would have given this book a minus 5 stars had I been able to."
"While the book had it's high points, and was very exciting, the liberal propoganda throughout the book ruined the whole experience for me." One star review.

Somehow, my book had a liberal "agenda" too. I wonder how long it took the reader to realize my insidious plan to fill his/her mind with liberal lunacy...obviously not until AFTER finishing the "exciting" book. The reader must have really felt violated. At least I didn't have gays in mine...ughhhh, can you imagine the reviews then?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok, my favorite line from a review of Gifts on Amazon:

"Least annoying YA heroine."

4 or 5 stars, I don't remember, but I still want to put it on a t-shirt.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Vickie that made me LOL for real. :)

Boy, I have so many favorite quotes from reviews. Early on when I was posting drafts at my website one commenter said that my writing was junk food, "a Cheez-It compared to fois gras" (and this was in no way meant as a compliment). I loved that so much that the default icon for anonymous commenters on my site since 2008 is a Cheez-It, as is the default name--if you don't give yourself a name your name is shown as Cheez-It.

My favorite lines from good reviews--
From Frida Fantastic Reviews (4 stars): "If George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series captures the gritty realism of medieval history, Lovers and Beloveds reveals the intimate and personal dynamics of power in aristocracies." In a blog post later she also mentioned me in the same breath as Joanna Russ. Both times I was blown away.

From a Goodreads review (4 stars): "I didn't love it until somewhere halfway when I suddenly realized it was 6 o'clock in the morning and I couldn't put it down, so instead I just read on."

From a review at my site: "You know a book is good when you read it at stop lights."

That last may be my all-time fave. :)

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
It would be hard to pick a favorite, but I got one yesterday for Sing My Name that left me with my mouth open. It's fairly long and the first paragraph talks about Atonement and not my book and how they're different. Then in the next paragraph comes this (emphasis mine):

"There is more of a love story here, the two main characters have a lovely if unbelievable young love that seems incredibly genuine and believable."

Reviews are a constant source of entertainment and amazement to me.

This one of Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold did make me feel good:

"When I finished, the thought foremost in my mind was 'How soon will I forget enough to read this book again?'"

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
A five star review for Unicorn Whisperer from a top 500 Amazon reviewer:

"So I guess the question is whether `The Unicorn Whisperer' is merely a children's fable for the lover of princesses and unicorns or a simple, approachable allegory designed to encourage both child and adult to reexamine one's assumptions and fears and open oneself up to new, positive ways of thinking and perceiving the wondrous world around us? I think it's the second one."

·
Registered
390 Posts
The review this is quoted from warmed the cockles of my heart:

Joshua Price is an artist with words as he paints a picture in your mind of each and every scene in the book. As you read, it's as if a movie is playing just behind your eyes as you visualize each movement the characters make on their way to saving the world. I've never read a book before where I can picture absolutely everything so vividly. I applaud the originality in the tale, as well as Price's ability to bring so many fictional creatures and crazy antics into a story without making it feel jumbled and thrown together.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't know if I'll ever get a review that has a better quotable line than this one:

"The best zombie book since World War Z."

The others were nice and detailed and well thought-out, but that just blew me away. Especially since The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z were practically reference materials for my work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts