Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd start a Phobia thread:

Mine: Closed spaces (that trapped, can't breathe feeling)
My Daughter's: Ladybugs -Strange, at 21 (real bad: screams, cries, shakes from head to toe)
My Husband's: ME...lol.
My Son's: The fridge being empty. 6'3" and eats me out of house and home!!

YOUR TURN!!

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I'm afraid of heights and going new places alone, but my biggest fear is dying.

That second one...that's a pain in the Spouse Thingy's behind ;D

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thumper:  Fear of dying in general or fear of dying in some sort of horrid way?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Well I am a little like Monk. "Wipie please" and I HAVE to have my Lipbalm & Burt's Bees hand salve. I freak if I don't have these moisturizers!!! As far back as I can remember I have even had to leave a movie to go out to my car to get my lipbalm. WEIRD! My husband is afraid of toads, spiders, anything that moves in the grass! Strange because I will put bait on our hooks while fishing and I will take the fish off of the hooks... my husband is like "YUCK, UH, UH!" So MANLY!!!! ;D Calls me or my DD outside to check his shoes on the back patio for toads! DD... can't think of anything.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is going to be a very interesting thread.

Lip balm, I can see that. I always have something on my lips...and earrings, can't leave the house without them or I feel naked. I've actually gone back home (on way to work) to put earrings on.

TOADS: Bufonophobia = Fear of toads.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Swimming..... Showers, baths, shallow pools don't bother me, but I have to feel the surface under my feet or I panic.

Spiders.... The little buggers scare the bejeezzus out of me.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pidge:  Fear of spiders = Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia.  (fear of spiders and swimming are very common)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
sjc said:
Pidge: Fear of spiders = Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia. (fear of spiders and swimming are very common)
I do my best to be ordinary. ;D

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
1. Snakes
2. Rats

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
I manage to mostly block my fears out of conscious awareness because I usually manage to avoid situations that involve them!

Small enclosed spaces, not so much for the physical space as for the fear of not being able to breathe.  

Various bugs, especially the 17-year locusts and other kinds that think it's ok to use me as a landing pad.

As a child I was terrified of fire, in all forms.  I was almost 20 before I could manage, with very shaky hands, to light a candle.  My parents were never concerned that I'd start smoking as a teen!   :D

A new adult phobia that took its place  --  I love to swim, but I can't stand being in the deep end of a pool (12 feet deep or more)  when there are people swimming underwater below me.  At my high school we had a Senior Swim evening close to graduation, and a classmate chose that evening to kill himself by quietly diving deep and lying on the ground under the (closed for the evening) diving boards.  A bunch of us were talking and treading water right above him for probably fifteen minutes before any of us noticed, by which time it was too late.  (Definitely not an accident; there was a note.)   I was the first to see him; I don't ever want to look down in a pool and see someone below me again.

Oh, and one funny one...  I used to be afraid of depictions of pterodactyls!  Those pointy noses/beaks, and those talons....  eek!   I'd slam the book shut and refuse to open that section again.   Lost that one about 15 years ago, finally.   ::)

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I hate when people swim below me when I'm doing my laps.  It's downright rude.  It would be a calamity if they came up right where I am.  I have a lot of swimming pet peeves, but I wouldn't call them phobias.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Susan in VA said:
A new adult phobia that took its place -- I love to swim, but I can't stand being in the deep end of a pool (12 feet deep or more) when there are people swimming underwater below me. At my high school we had a Senior Swim evening close to graduation, and a classmate chose that evening to kill himself by quietly diving deep and lying on the ground under the (closed for the evening) diving boards. A bunch of us were talking and treading water right above him for probably fifteen minutes before any of us noticed, by which time it was too late. (Definitely not an accident; there was a note.) I was the first to see him; I don't ever want to look down in a pool and see someone below me again.
How horrible! My best friend when I was younger actually had her best friend drown while they were swimming to a small island, she repeatedly went down after her... it was traumatic for her it was her sophomore year of high school. Sorry to hear about your situation. :-[ :-\

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Susan: Your fear is so understandable, given the circumstance...I'm so sorry you had to experience that...how very traumatic. I feel that suicide is selfish. I know some reach a point of desperation: but it is so unfair to those they leave behind.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
mlewis78 said:
I hate when people swim below me when I'm doing my laps. It's downright rude. It would be a calamity if they came up right where I am. I have a lot of swimming pet peeves, but I wouldn't call them phobias.
I was a synchronized swimmer when I was in college, so I don't have a problem with anyone swimming anywhere in proximity to me (although if I had your experience, Susan, I'm sure I would). I have a mask phobia. I don't like anything that covers someone's face so that you can't tell who they are. Even little kids at Halloween freak me out, even though I try to hide it.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Meredith Sinclair said:
How horrible! My best friend when I was younger actually had her best friend drown while they were swimming to a small island, she repeatedly went down after her... it was traumatic for her it was her sophomore year of high school. Sorry to hear about your situation. :-[ :-\
How awful for her, especially since she probably felt that she couldn't do enough to save her friend, even though she did everything she could.

For me... well, I didn't know the guy, we had a graduating class of over 700, so it was certainly a shock at the time but not as traumatic as if I'd known the person. It was not until a few years later that someone swam underneath me in fun and I realized how much it upset me to have that view again.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Susan in VA said:
How awful for her, especially since she probably felt that she couldn't do enough to save her friend, even though she did everything she could.

For me... well, I didn't know the guy, we had a graduating class of over 700, so it was certainly a shock at the time but not as traumatic as if I'd known the person. It was not until a few years later that someone swam underneath me in fun and I realized how much it upset me to have that view again.
Wow. I would definitely hate being in deep water and looking down if I had your experience, too!

For me, I hate rats. I'm paralyzed (aside from the screaming that is lol).
I also hate things touching my neck. I can stand a *soft* turtleneck for an hour before I start fidgeting and have to get it off me. Not having things touch my neck also leads to me having a fear about
getting my throat cut or being strangled
... that's really kind of unpleasant. I'm just going to hide that one. :D

I also have this irrational fear about not being dead. Like, I'm afraid I'm going to be buried or cremated because people think I'm dead but I'm actually not.

Well this post took a turn for the worst and weird, didn't it?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Aravis60 said:
I was a synchronized swimmer when I was in college, so I don't have a problem with anyone swimming anywhere in proximity to me (although if I had your experience, Susan, I'm sure I would). I have a mask phobia. I don't like anything that covers someone's face so that you can't tell who they are. Even little kids at Halloween freak me out, even though I try to hide it.
Just realized something I forgot... I can NOT stand the word
TORTURE
in any shape or form, the word itself makes me physically ill. and any movies/tv programs (even some books) that have someone in
bondage
or
gagged
I would say it is a HUGE FEAR! :-\ How could I forget that? I think what triggered it is masks, I
HATE those rubber masks
, like the president ones etc.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
sjc said:
Susan: Your fear is so understandable, given the circumstance...I'm so sorry you had to experience that...how very traumatic. I feel that suicide is selfish. I know some reach a point of desperation: but it is so unfair to those they leave behind.
Yes, it's selfish, but I imagine that for people considering it, it still seems like the best of a bunch of bad options. Other than the pool guy, whom I did not know personally, I've known three people who killed themselves, all for medical reasons -- a terminal and incurable illness that was going to get much worse very quickly; the physical near-incapacity of advanced age; and the forced feeding and breathing tubes for someone who wanted to die (at 80-something) without what he perceived as artificial prolonging and undignified interference. In some way I can understand each one of those. Yes, families were hurt, but we also knew and understood that because of the personalities involved, continued decline and dependence would have meant ongoing misery for them.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
AddieLove said:
I also hate things touching my neck. I can stand a *soft* turtleneck for an hour before I start fidgeting and have to get it off me. Not having things touch my neck also leads to me having a fear about
getting my throat cut or being strangled
... that's really kind of unpleasant. I'm just going to hide that one. :D
Eeeek! I totally understand about the fear of strangulation or suffocation. And not having your neck touched... hmm, that must be tough at times of, um,
tender moments

AddieLove said:
Well this post took a turn for the worst and weird, didn't it?
LOL! I was just thinking that it was turning into a pretty creepy thread! :D

1 - 20 of 496 Posts