Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Ann, Ann, Ann, cookbooks?  I had not thought of that.  Newspapers and cookbooks!  Well, that's two reasons.  Since I just purchased a used K2 and my biggest decision today is figuring out what cover to go with Van Gogh Irises I do not need to be thinking about another K purchase!!
deb

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drenee said:
Ann, Ann, Ann, cookbooks? I had not thought of that.
deb
I know! Right? Now, I already got the Cook's Illustrated one when it was free. . . .on my K1 I don't remember seeing any illustrations. . . .so I wonder. . . . . .I purchased it March 7 and the edition now listed has a March 23 date. . . .I'm thinking they updated it with pictures after? . . . . though some of the reviews mention pictures. . . .Hmmmm. . . .also, now it costs $9.99.

DH likes Cooks Illustrated and America's Test Kitchen -- if they had THAT magazine available I think I'd have him sold on getting the DX.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I know! Right? Now, I already got the Cook's Illustrated one when it was free. . . .on my K1 I don't remember seeing any illustrations. . . .so I wonder. . . . . .I purchased it March 7 and the edition now listed has a March 23 date. . . .I'm thinking they updated it with pictures after? . . . . though some of the reviews mention pictures. . . .Hmmmm. . . .also, now it costs $9.99.

DH likes Cooks Illustrated and America's Test Kitchen -- if they had THAT magazine available I think I'd have him sold on getting the DX.
I have the Cooks Illustrated on my K1 and love it - but it sure would be nice on the bigger screen of the DX - fewer page turns!
I had to check, mine does have illustrations (I pre-ordered it long before it became available) - I didn't come across any photographs in my quick check, but I was just looking through the index, I don't think I realized just how many recipes there are in that cookbook. I've got to start using it more often!

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Meemo said:
I have the Cooks Illustrated on my K1 and love it - but it sure would be nice on the bigger screen of the DX - fewer page turns!
I had to check, mine does have illustrations - I didn't come across any photographs in my quick check, but I was just looking through the index, I don't think I realized just how many recipes there are in that cookbook. I've got to start using it more often!
Hmmmm. . . .maybe there are illustrations and I just haven't gotten to them yet. I've only used it to look up a couple of recipes so far -- there are a ton of em! . . . but I do like it and would love it on a DX. . . . . .

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wold be surprised if there are any photographs in the Cook Illustrated Kindle cookbook, as there are never any in their DTBs or their magazines. There are however illustrations (hence the name Cooks Illustrated) in all their publications, including their Kindle Cookbook. Check out Location #15490.

·
Registered
446 Posts
ak rain said:
maybe best for DX but would they read on the K2 or with the zoom feature of K1?

Sylvia
When you click on one of the books it has a little thing that says "Optimized for Kindle DX, but will still work on other versions of Kindle" I just wonder how readable they would really be on the smaller screen.

Rachel

·
Registered
761 Posts
I hadn't really thought about it until I looked at this post, but b&w graphic novels seems cool. Maybe the DX isn't a bad idea for me after all?  Thanks for the link, Ann!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Athenagwis said:
When you click on one of the books it has a little thing that says "Optimized for Kindle DX, but will still work on other versions of Kindle" I just wonder how readable they would really be on the smaller screen.

Rachel
I downloaded a sample of this book to my new DX and my K2.

It has lots of tables which are images. At their "normal" size I can't read the table on my K2 and can barely read it on the DX. If I zoom in (I can zoom on both), I can barely read it on the K2 but on the DX it was much better -- actually readable. Someone with better eyes than me probably would find the K2 more readable than I do.

L

·
Registered
446 Posts
Didn't even think of a sample!!  So I tried Scott Kelby's photography book, and it's not bad.  I can tell that it was formatted for the DX, in that some of the pages kind of end half way through the page, so you can tell that that page with the one before it would be one page on the DX, but other than that everything fits on my Kindle 2 fine.  The pictures are the right size, not cut off or anything, though I think it's kind of weird to have a photography book on the Kindle (DX or not), since the pictures are not super awesome looking, but it would be a good reference to have in the field anyway.

I'm gonna sample another one and see how it looks.

But that is a good sign that they are at least still readable/usable for the Kindle 2!

Rachel

·
Registered
446 Posts
Okay I tried the Idiot's guide to NY book, it wasn't bad either, it's mostly text anyway.  There are some graphics that are bullet points that are barely readable because the are so small on the screen, and I assume they would be bigger on the DX.  The only disappointing thing about this book is there is no clickable TOC.  IMO a reference book like this should ALWAYS have a clickable TOC, you're not going to read something like this cover to cover.  Scott Kelby's book did have a clickable TOC BTW.

Rachel

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I already owned some books on my K1 that I recently discovered were now "DX optimized," and they displayed fine on the K1. They look amazing on the KDX, however, much more like I suspect they look in the printed book.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Greg:

I had a bunch like that too, but couldn't figure out the diffference. For example, one of the 7 Narnia books has that stamp, while the other 6 didn;t???

Edward C. Patterson

1 - 17 of 17 Posts