Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Theme: College Must Haves



Description (700character max):
Three things that a college student must have: a laptop, Emergen-C, and rechargeable batteries/devices. Living in the dorm with a hundred plus other students could lead to exposure to people with various and sometimes questionable or nonexistent personal hygiene routines. Take Emergen-C or Airborne with you as a precaution, because spending the first semester of college in bed sick isn't much of an experience. Then for the book-loving college student, an Amazon Kindle is recommended. Having to choose what books to take with you can be traumatizing to some and can be avoided. The Kindle holds 200+ books, as well as music, weighs less than eleven ounces, and there's no need to travel to the bookstore with its internet access with Amazon's/Sprint's Whispernet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Cool Entry!  I totally agree.  I sent my college freshman away with a Kindle to keep her company - when she is not diligently studying of course  ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
College must haves are so different from the gazillion years ago that I was in college!  Wouldn't it be fabulous to have all those huge textbooks on your Kindle? No more hundred pound backpacks!  Maybe books wouldn't be one of the bigger expenses of college either!  Great picture and the Emergen-C is a great idea!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,456 Posts
Wow, is that a black 30GB Zune? Yes it is. Nice to meet a fellow Zuner.

(I frequent (and own) another forum, for Zune owners, called Zunerama.com.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ShellyD said:
College must haves are so different from the gazillion years ago that I was in college! Wouldn't it be fabulous to have all those huge textbooks on your Kindle? No more hundred pound backpacks! Maybe books wouldn't be one of the bigger expenses of college either! Great picture and the Emergen-C is a great idea!
Tell me about it. I had five thick books for a single medical class. One workbook (1 1/2 inches thick), one dictionary (2inches), and three different textbooks (stacked together: 6.5 inches). they costed me 250 dollars.
As for the Emergen-C, I ahad to use it myself. I spent a great amount of time of my first semester sick with various illnesses. I was not a happy camper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harvey said:
Wow, is that a black 30GB Zune? Yes it is. Nice to meet a fellow Zuner.

(I frequent (and own) another forum, for Zune owners, called Zunerama.com.)
I love my Zune and I am an original owner. First of all my friends and family to get one...course I got it when it released. My bro has the limited edition Halo 3 Zune. No offense to iPod users, but my family and I prefer Zunes over iPods. They are just more user friendly and I love the fact that I can change my background anytime I wanted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Wow!  Times have changed.  I went to college before people took desktop computers with them - ha ha ha.  Before cell phones....  omg.....  I am so old!!

Love your entry!  Where are you going to attend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
In college I was happy that I had an electric typewriter. Rewrites and corrections were really fun.

As far as staying healthy, you may want to check out vitamin D. You may be one letter off.
www.vitamindcouncil.org
Anne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One downer about laptops in class and free internet across the campus is the fact some students surf the net and instant message during class instead of taking notes. I notice this because i sit in the back of class near the power outlet. Meanwhile the phone is a must have considering my mother is always checking where I am, or where my brother is (my bro and I were in the same college)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Kirstin said:
Wow! Times have changed. I went to college before people took desktop computers with them - ha ha ha. Before cell phones.... omg..... I am so old!!

Love your entry! Where are you going to attend?
Lol..I hear ya Kirstin! Us old timers..back in the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
Kirstin said:
Wow! Times have changed. I went to college before people took desktop computers with them - ha ha ha. Before cell phones.... omg..... I am so old!!
Susan B said:
Lol..I hear ya Kirstin! Us old timers..back in the day.
Yep, Kirstin and Susan... I am right with you! When I began college the only computers I had seen was our Vic20 and Commodore 64!! :) ...and that was 10 years after high school! I would have loved having a Kindle to replace text books back then!

BTW V_A... nice entry! :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
ShellyD said:
College must haves are so different from the gazillion years ago that I was in college! Wouldn't it be fabulous to have all those huge textbooks on your Kindle? No more hundred pound backpacks! Maybe books wouldn't be one of the bigger expenses of college either! Great picture and the Emergen-C is a great idea!
Can't you get textbooks on the Kindle? :eek:

Betsy (ducking and running for cover)!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
LOL Betsy!  Too funny!!!

I'm sure someday....

And V_A, I know what you mean about the textbooks.  I have a rolling backpack for nursing school because the parking lot is SOOO far away.  If I had to actually carry all those texts, my back would surely break!  My Med-Surg book alone is 4.5" thick, and weighs 14 pounds!  It's a BEAST!!!

Great posting btw!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
colleen said:
LOL Betsy! Too funny!!!

I'm sure someday....

And V_A, I know what you mean about the textbooks. I have a rolling backpack for nursing school because the parking lot is SOOO far away. If I had to actually carry all those texts, my back would surely break! My Med-Surg book alone is 4.5" thick, and weighs 14 pounds! It's a BEAST!!!

Great posting btw!
Which med/surg book are you using?

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Leslie said:
Which med/surg book are you using?

L
Brunner & Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing, by Smeltzer, Bare, Hinkle and Cheever. I found out AFTER I purchased it and had been using it a while that it is available as a 2 volume set. That would be SO much easier!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
colleen said:
Brunner & Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing, by Smeltzer, Bare, Hinkle and Cheever. I found out AFTER I purchased it and had been using it a while that it is available as a 2 volume set. That would be SO much easier!!!
Yes, really.

If you have to use the care plan book by Ackley & Ladwig, I have two care plans in there, co-authored with my son. Latex Allergy Response and Potential for Latex Allergy.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
annelb said:
In college I was happy that I had an electric typewriter. Rewrites and corrections were really fun.
Shoot...I'm at least thankful for the correction on my typewriter...I remember the days of those correction sheets and White-Out ;-p If I really want to date myself...I remember making punch cards in HS ;-p
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top