Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4% increase across the board, about what I expected after a sharper than usual January drop.

Store Currency Rate Change from Prior
Amazon.com USD 0.0046601 4.0%
Amazon.co.uk GBP 0.0035740 4.0%
Amazon.de EUR 0.0031802 4.0%
Amazon.fr EUR 0.0046273 4.0%
Amazon.co.jp JPY 0.5775726 4.0%
Amazon.ca CAD 0.0045821 4.0%
Amazon.it EUR 0.0046273 4.0%
Amazon.es EUR 0.0046273 4.0%
Amazon.in INR 0.0906437 4.0%
Amazon.com.au AUD 0.0040023 4.0%
Amazon.com.br BRL 0.0112707 4.0%
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,636 Posts
Where do you find the list of all stars? Not that I'm on it, just wondering. I put 15 of my 50 books in KU, so this is my first month. Actually, my first half a month with 24k page reads. Don't know if that's good or bad, but those 15  books weren't selling well wide, so why not? Now I'm trying to decided if I should put the rest of them in. Any advice? Do you think readers are getting burned out on the old material and are looking for new? I mean, who's still reading Harry Potter?

By the way, when I received the usual "what do you want us to work on next" email from Amazon, I suggested they put Kindle Unlimited under the description of the sponsored ads. I think it would boost page reads. Agree?

Marti not martit, or martital. It's Marti Talbott, good girl, old but good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,004 Posts
Martitalbott said:
Where do you find the list of all stars? Not that I'm on it, just wondering. I put 15 of my 50 books in KU, so this is my first month. Actually, my first half a month with 24k page reads. Don't know if that's good or bad, but those 15 books weren't selling well wide, so why not? Now I'm trying to decided if I should put the rest of them in. Any advice? Do you think readers are getting burned out on the old material and are looking for new? I mean, who's still reading Harry Potter?

By the way, when I received the usual "what do you want us to work on next" email from Amazon, I suggested they put Kindle Unlimited under the description of the sponsored ads. I think it would boost page reads. Agree?

Marti not martit, or martital. It's Marti Talbott, good girl, old but good.
There is no list of All-Stars and notifications don't go out until the end of the month. Last time I heard, the bottom threshold for All-Star bonuses was 4 million page reads a month.
 
Joined
·
745 Posts
Martitalbott said:
Do you think readers are getting burned out on the old material and are looking for new? I mean, who's still reading Harry Potter?
Well, according to the Amazon Charts weekly list of most read books on kindle, apparently half the world :p

Marti not martit, or martital. It's Marti Talbott, good girl, old but good.
If you wanted to eliminate confusion, you could capitalize the T in Talbott on your profile name so it says MartiTalbott. Just a thought :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,636 Posts
Amanda M. Lee said:
There is no list of All-Stars and notifications don't go out until the end of the month. Last time I heard, the bottom threshold for All-Star bonuses was 4 million page reads a month.
Thanks, Amanda. Does the old list disappear then? Four million pages a month divided by 15 books is only 266,666.66 each. I can do that! Noooo problem! It might just take a little more than one month.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
LilyBLily said:
Thanks for doing the math. It gives me great pleasure to simply delete Amazon's email regarding this bs.
I love that Glynn posts this each month because I've found myself returning to these threads as a quick reference every now and again. (So, don't stop, Glynn!)

That said, here's how you can do the calculation quick and easy in Excel...no math required!

* Download and open the royalty report spreadsheet.
* Click the 'KENP Read' tab.
* Scroll over to the first blank column (currently Column H).
* Click in the first cell under the headings (currently Row 3).
* Check which columns have the royalty (currently Column F) and pages read (currently Column E).
* Up in the 'fx' field, put in: =F3/E3
* Hit 'Enter'.

That gives you the US amount. You can stop there, or check out the other amounts by clicking back on that same cell, then grabbing the itty bitty square in the lower-righthand corner of that cell, which you can do when the big cursor changes to a thinner 'plus' or crosshair.

Without letting go of the corner, drag the cursor down to the last row where you have royalties showing. Only let go when you reach the end.

Voila! All the cells are now populated with the per-page amount out to 8 decimal places.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
Amanda M. Lee said:
There is no list of All-Stars and notifications don't go out until the end of the month.
There is a list of All-Star books, which can be refined by category or series too. You can't really tell which month it's for, and it doesn't get updated till after the notifications go out, so during the end of March-ish and most of April-ish, it'll show February's All-Stars. Right now, it's probably showing January's list.

You used to be able to refine by author. But when the list started being filled with scammers, Amazon kindly nixed that feature to make identifying scammers more difficult. Because Amazon likes enabling scammers these days.

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_457902022_2?ie=UTF8&node=11085390011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=special-offers-2&pf_rd_r=05B5CTZYC33KA4TCYM2M&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=2412951182&pf_rd_i=B017I0S4X4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,636 Posts
PhoenixS said:
There is a list of All-Star books, which can be refined by category or series too. You can't really tell which month it's for, and it doesn't get updated till after the notifications go out, so during the end of March-ish and most of April-ish, it'll show February's All-Stars. Right now, it's probably showing January's list.

You used to be able to refine by author. But when the list started being filled with scammers, Amazon kindly nixed that feature to make identifying scammers more difficult. Because Amazon likes enabling scammers these days.

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_457902022_2?ie=UTF8&node=11085390011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=special-offers-2&pf_rd_r=05B5CTZYC33KA4TCYM2M&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=2412951182&pf_rd_i=B017I0S4X4
Thanks, Phoenix. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know a scammer if I saw one. Interesting list. I thought it was given out according to the author with the most page reads, but it's by the book. That makes it even harder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
Martitalbott said:
Thanks, Phoenix. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know a scammer if I saw one. Interesting list. I thought it was given out according to the author with the most page reads, but it's by the book. That makes it even harder.
There are two bonus types: one by single book and one by author. The single book threshold is probably somewhere around 1.8 million page reads during the month. The author bonus aggregates all of the page reads from a single pen name. That's the one with a base threshold of around 4 million for the month.

The list at the url I posted contains the 100 single books that earned bonuses as well as all the KU books published by the 100 author names who earned bonuses. Plus the separate set of bonus-earning illustrated children's books and authors.

The UK and Germany also have their own lists. I'm not sure what the minimum thresholds currently are in those regions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
PhoenixS said:
There is a list of All-Star books, which can be refined by category or series too. You can't really tell which month it's for, and it doesn't get updated till after the notifications go out, so during the end of March-ish and most of April-ish, it'll show February's All-Stars. Right now, it's probably showing January's list.

You used to be able to refine by author. But when the list started being filled with scammers, Amazon kindly nixed that feature to make identifying scammers more difficult. Because Amazon likes enabling scammers these days.

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_457902022_2?ie=UTF8&node=11085390011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=special-offers-2&pf_rd_r=05B5CTZYC33KA4TCYM2M&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=2412951182&pf_rd_i=B017I0S4X4
haha looking through that list leaves me very little hope for humanity. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Another P-poor showing by Amazon again this month, little wonder that the other retailers are getting back into the market with amazon's obvious neglect of indie authors. With just the right nudge people could leave in droves to go wide. Couple that with the scamming and manipulation by a lot of authors on that bestseller list and KU isn't so enticing anymore. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
Atlantisatheart said:
Another P-poor showing by Amazon again this month, little wonder that the other retailers are getting back into the market with amazon's obvious neglect of indie authors. With just the right nudge people could leave in droves to go wide. Couple that with the scamming and manipulation by a lot of authors on that bestseller list and KU isn't so enticing anymore.
???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
Atlantisatheart said:
Another P-poor showing by Amazon again this month, little wonder that the other retailers are getting back into the market with amazon's obvious neglect of indie authors. With just the right nudge people could leave in droves to go wide. Couple that with the scamming and manipulation by a lot of authors on that bestseller list and KU isn't so enticing anymore.
It's certainly enticing to me. But then, it makes me lots of money, and I've always found that sexy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,639 Posts
Atlantisatheart said:
Another P-poor showing by Amazon again this month, little wonder that the other retailers are getting back into the market with amazon's obvious neglect of indie authors. With just the right nudge people could leave in droves to go wide. Couple that with the scamming and manipulation by a lot of authors on that bestseller list and KU isn't so enticing anymore.
I'd love to see some real indication that the other retailers are actually doing anything of the sort. Unfortunately I don't see any signs that the other retailers really care much about indie authors. Wake me up when any of them has done 10% as much for indies as Amazon has. However bad Amazon is (and they're *bad*), they're still light years better than anyone else, and I don't see anyone else doing much - if anything - to improve. Hint: nuking the effect of free titles, pushing indies down in search rankings or outright hiding them, deleting accounts with no warning or cause given after years, etc. doesn't exactly fit in with the narrative.

Note: All of my titles except for four under a single pen name are wide, I've been wide since 2011, and I got in as one of the first beta users on both GP and Kobo and I've seen first hand how they've changed their systems to make them *less* indie-friendly over the years. The impression I've gotten is that several would like to dispense with their indie publishing programs entirely and only continue them because Amazon does so they feel like they have to. They certainly haven't devoted anywhere near the resources to improving those programs in the last few years that the aggregators like D2D and Streetlib have, even though they have much deeper pockets and their goal as booksellers is supposedly to sell more books.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,636 Posts
KelliWolfe said:
I'd love to see some real indication that the other retailers are actually doing anything of the sort. Unfortunately I don't see any signs that the other retailers really care much about indie authors. Wake me up when any of them has done 10% as much for indies as Amazon has. However bad Amazon is (and they're *bad*), they're still light years better than anyone else, and I don't see anyone else doing much - if anything - to improve. Hint: nuking the effect of free titles, pushing indies down in search rankings or outright hiding them, deleting accounts with no warning or cause given after years, etc. doesn't exactly fit in with the narrative.

Note: All of my titles except for four under a single pen name are wide, I've been wide since 2011, and I got in as one of the first beta users on both GP and Kobo and I've seen first hand how they've changed their systems to make them *less* indie-friendly over the years. The impression I've gotten is that several would like to dispense with their indie publishing programs entirely and only continue them because Amazon does so they feel like they have to. They certainly haven't devoted anywhere near the resources to improving those programs in the last few years that the aggregators like D2D and Streetlib have, even though they have much deeper pockets and their goal as booksellers is supposedly to sell more books.
I'm not sure I agree Kobo and Google plus are less indie supportive, but I agree that promoting to those two sites brings very little reward. That's the main reason I decided to put some of my books into KU instead. I've been with them since the beginning too, and still have never been able to break into any other than the English based countries such as Australia and the UK. It's frustrating.
 
1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top