Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.  I've noticed a lot of you sell your books and others from your blog sites (with a link set up via Amazon.)  I'm revamping my blog, and I'd like to do the same with my own books.  Can anyone give me feedback on how they like this system?

Also, for those of you with paperbacks, do you have users connect to Amazon or to Createspace for purchases?  I get a higher royalty from CS, but it seems like more sales on Amazon gives me more of Amazon's amazing marketing power, so I'm not sure which is the best course of action.

Thanks, Folks!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I'm not sure how useful it would be to try and sell from your site unless you've already got a following or a large amount of traffic to your site.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I do a mixture of both from my site. I have the main page link to the various channel distributors: Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, etc... and then on my "Buy Books" page, I have paypal setup for "signed" author copies.

Honestly, though I don't get much in the way of sales via my site, I think having the option there helps. Most people though, click through to the distributor they are used to buying from.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Katie Salidas said:
I do a mixture of both from my site. I have the main page link to the various channel distributors: Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, etc... and then on my "Buy Books" page, I have paypal setup for "signed" author copies.

Honestly, though I don't get much in the way of sales via my site, I think having the option there helps. Most people though, click through to the distributor they are used to buying from.
That's my plan... I'm going to set up a small "Bookstore" on my site, usuing paypal. That way if you want a signed copy, here you go... I doubt it'll make a HUGE difference in sales, but it's an easy outlet. Paypal is easy to setup. Just another page on your site. :)

-jb 8)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The best way to do it is to join the Amazon Associates program, and post a link to your book from your site.

Early last month Godaddy messed up and assigned my domain name to a former website client of mine. That person received my renewal notice, and did not forward it to me. When the domain expired, neither he nor I could get it back. One day my website was simply GONE, and irretrievable.

The site had been up for 10 years, and was pulling in tens of thousands of hits every month because I was on Page 1 of Google searches for "Anne Boleyn," "Hever Castle," and "Whoso List to Hunt" by Sir Thomas Wyatt (that poem is apparently studied in colleges all over the world). I hadn't checked in years, but it was probably close to Page 1 for the other topics I addressed because I drew traffic in with every one of my 20 web pages.

When I lost the site, my Amazon sales didn't miss a beat. I probably lost some Amazon Associates points, though. However, in the early days I attempted to sell the book from the site and never got any takers. People don't want to buy books from the author. You can't even sell them on Ebay or Amazon Marketplace under your own name - I took a pseudonym to sell autographed copies on Amazon Marketplace, and that's the only way they moved.

The point is, even with a high-traffic site, you won't sell books from your website.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nell, Sorry about what happened to your site.  But thanks for the info.  It's very helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts