Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would tell you all that I highlighted a TON of typos (run-together words, etc.) in a book I bought from Fictionwise (Sten, by Allan Cole and Chris Bunch), pasted them into an email, and sent to Fictionwise (and the publisher).  A couple of days later got an email back thanking me, and telling me that they had corrected the errors, and that I could download an updated copy.  Hurray!

Complaining worked!

·
Registered
116 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
I just thought I would tell you all that I highlighted a TON of typos (run-together words, etc.) in a book I bought from Fictionwise (Sten, by Allan Cole and Chris Bunch), pasted them into an email, and sent to Fictionwise (and the publisher). A couple of days later got an email back thanking me, and telling me that they had corrected the errors, and that I could download an updated copy. Hurray!
I have heard great things about this series. I don't see that it is available on Kindle though. Where did you get a digital copy?

·
Registered
737 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
I just thought I would tell you all that I highlighted a TON of typos (run-together words, etc.) in a book I bought from Fictionwise (Sten, by Allan Cole and Chris Bunch), pasted them into an email, and sent to Fictionwise (and the publisher). A couple of days later got an email back thanking me, and telling me that they had corrected the errors, and that I could download an updated copy. Hurray!

Complaining worked!
"TON of typos" - "an updated copy"

I think they owe you more than that!!!!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
You should have gotten some cash out of this! Or some free books. This is totally something I can see myself doing.  ;D Awesome job! Now there is an e-book out there that won't annoy people with typos.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Fictionwise is totally lame and has zero credibility with me. The descriptions for their books on Amazon are filled with blatant lies (click here for an example from the bargains thread) and I'd certainly never give any of my money to the actual Fictionwise website. Shame too, because they seem to have good books. Not worth it though, when you don't actually know what you're getting - and in Susan's case, what you do get may be full of errors. I agree that she should have gotten a hell of a lot more from Fictionwise for essentially doing their job for them.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the Sten books from Fictionwise.com. Some of the books on Fictionwise are carried by Amazon, so I always check Amazon, if I find one I like on Fictionwise.   I also buy lots of books from Baen Books (www.webscription.net).  Most, if not all, of Baen's books are not carried by Amazon.  

I doubt Fictionwise gets all the blame.  Some has to be the publisher.  I've been happy with much of the stuff I've bought from there.  The only problems I encountered are typos, which have been just as prevalent on Amazon (some even worse), and bad writing.  They do tend to carry a lot of relatively unknown authors, and sometimes the reviews are higher than I would rate the book.

C.S:  Fictionwise is usually very clear if the "book" is a short story.  It gives the estimated reading time, even.  Obvious if it is a short story.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
C.S: Fictionwise is usually very clear if the "book" is a short story. It gives the estimated reading time, even. Obvious if it is a short story.
That may be true on Fictionwise's own site, but many of their books listed on Amazon are incorrectly described. Click the link in my above post, and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have seen a bunch of stuff on Amazon's site apparently ported over from Fictionwise.  Most of the stuff on Amazon with Fictionwise listed as the publisher are short stories, split out from anthologies, etc.  I was already aware of that, and have used Fictionwise itself off and on for years.  I don't know how they ported the book description information over to Amazon. 

Did you report the inaccurate listing to Amazon?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts