Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I visited the site and got all excited when I saw To Kill A Mockingbird listed. Unfortunately, it's still just the DTV.

I've gotten a couple of Girlebooks. Lady Audley's Secret was one of them (I think), but I haven't read it yet.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I've added it to the ebook blog thread, thanks!

·
Registered
869 Posts
This may be a good source for the future "Classics" book club  ???

Nice to find a site featuring women authors.

Marci

·
Registered
195 Posts
If the Mobipocket format isn't available, then what's the next best one to choose? I am choosing PDF currently. They have other formats available on the site: ereader PDB, Microsoft Reader LIt, and plain text. Can any of those be converted for Kindle?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Yay! Now I have Little Women and The Secret Garden. both which I couldn't find before. Thanks for posting the sight, If anyone finds The Little Princess can someone tell me! ;D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I'm the site administrator of Girlebooks. If any of you want a book that's not yet available in Mobipocket format (I'm slowly converting them all), just let me know and I'll convert it and put it up for you.

And also, if you have requests for ebooks we don't have (they have to be public domain of course), also let me know.

Regarding To Kill a Mockingbird--I couldn't find that ebook anywhere. We can't put it on our site due to copyright restrictions, but it also wasn't available in ebook on any ebook store I looked at.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would love to read "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" though I am sure it is not in public domain?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some books written about the same time are public domain, but this one looks like it has the copyright renewed in 1967, so it's still under copyright in the US.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Is The Good Earth trilogy still under copyright? I didn't know until a couple of years ago that there were two more books. I would love to have all three on Kindle if they are in public domain.

I've clicked all three on Amazon in case they are still copyrighted.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
laura1234 said:
Yes, these were renewed also. There's a good resource for looking up copyright renewals for books published between 1923 and 1963 (anything before that is definitely public domain and anything after that is definitely not):
http://collections.stanford.edu/copyrightrenewals/bin/search/advanced
So you'll see that The Good Earth was renewed in 1976.
I was looking up the criteria for the length of copyright protection. Seems to be conflicting information. 95 years after the initial publication, if the copyright is renewed. 65 years after the death of the author. One site said 70 years. I've read 50 years in other places.

The bottom line seems to be that The Good Earth will not be out of copyright protection in the foreseeable future. I can only hope that the copyright holders will see their way clear to Kindleizing this classic book.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know I think both The Good Earth and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter were released for Oprah's Book club.
I think we should email the show and ask them to push for all their "selections" to be kindled! Afterall I got my
Kindle because of her!
Here is a link to their suggestion email form:

https://www.oprah.com/ord/plugform.jsp?plugId=216

·
Registered
8 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I was looking up the criteria for the length of copyright protection. Seems to be conflicting information. 95 years after the initial publication, if the copyright is renewed. 65 years after the death of the author. One site said 70 years. I've read 50 years in other places.
The copyright law is different in different countries. For example, Australia and Canada have more lax copyright laws. Here in the US, congress passed what is known as the "Mickey Mouse act" that in effect froze the de facto public domain date to 1923.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bono_Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

I'm working on getting some of these older but copyrighted books people are clamoring for up on Girlebooks in a store format. I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
laura1234 said:
The copyright law is different in different countries. For example, Australia and Canada have more lax copyright laws. Here in the US, congress passed what is known as the "Mickey Mouse act" that in effect froze the de facto public domain date to 1923.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bono_Copyright_Term_Extension_Act
That's much clearer. Some of the sites I visited only addressed portions of the Act.

[quoteI'm working on getting some of these older but copyrighted books people are clamoring for up on Girlebooks in a store format. I'll keep y'all posted.
[/quote]

Thanks for all your hard work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts