Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all have those skeletons in our closets (or tucked away in a desk drawer for no one to see).  
I'm sure we can all recall the worse thing we ever wrote...

For me, it was a scifi novella inspired by Star Wars (tm), and religious missionaries (yeah, it was that weird).
My protagonist was a total Mary Sue, combination of myself and Princess Leia.  The Han Solo type character was inspired by my fiance at the time, and the villian was a composite of every ex boyfriend ever...and one really stalkery kid that had a crush on me in High School.  

Oh, geez...when I think about it I can't believe I wrote such shallow, juvenille,  cheesy crap.  

Well it was beneficial in showing me that I had no business writing scifi.  LOL  

·
Registered
982 Posts
It was half-UF, half-PR that was heavily inspired by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes' books, along with a bit of Blade. I didn't know how to do dialog at the time, so entire conversations were covered in a single paragraph.

*shudders*

If I still had it, I might try to fix it, but it might be easier to create a new version from memory.

·
Registered
181 Posts
When I was a noob writer? Not sure if I'm out of that phase, yet. ;)

My first answer was: anything I wrote in college. I remember one story where the protagonist went through an existential crisis in his search for Listerine strips. Really. Heavy stuff, man.

My final answer? The story I wrote last week. I finished it and realized I'd written a knock-off of Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak with a supernatural twist and a serial killer that pops up at the end (without any foreshadowing).

There was (in my opinion) some good writing in there, but the plot... worthy of the drawer, I think.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The one in my signature  ;D

When I started writing Swallow, I was writing in a very literary style, which did not suit the subject matter, characters, or audience at all. It was flowery, highbrow and just didn't work for the genre. A million rewrites later, and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
When I was in high school, I wrote a terrible fantasy romance. The worst part was that the characters were TOO HAPPY. They were gathering together to kill the main character's dad, who had imprisoned her mom, and the main character (a teenage girl) was happy as could be and thought it was just a big adventure. Oh, and then they were saved in the end by a convenient plot device. I went back and read it through a year ago and couldn't believe it was so bad. I thought it was amazing when I wrote it!

·
Registered
571 Posts
In Jr High my friend and I wrote a script for the TV show "SWAT."
We were determined to send it to the studio. Thankfully, we never did.
Oh, dear.  :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
As a (much) younger man (say, about eight), I wrote a story about Gorbachev and Fidel Castro dogfighting in a pair of flying Jeeps over one of the little towns near where I grew up.

I think this is how I accounted for some unexplained fireworks over the next hill one night.

I have no idea where even the idea of flying Jeeps came from.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ilyria_moon said:
The one in my signature ;D

When I started writing Swallow, I was writing in a very literary style, which did not suit the subject matter, characters, or audience at all. It was flowery, highbrow and just didn't work for the genre. A million rewrites later, and I am very happy with it.
Three cheers for perseverance! :) I can't tell you how many things I've rescued through massive amounts of revision!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I wrote a kind of YA romance in high school. It was semi-autobiographical. Very semi. Also more than a little spoofy. The part that was accurate was that the heroine didn't end up with a love interest at the end, much like most of my high school career. So you couldn't say I put any Mary Sues in there *heh*

·
Registered
876 Posts
Joseph.Garraty said:
Three cheers for perseverance! :) I can't tell you how many things I've rescued through massive amounts of revision!
Hehe thanks ;D

I'm several chapters into Voice, btw. Loving it!

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
When I was real young, I read the book Bambi, and decided to write my own book about a female deer named Candy.  I got about two pages into it before I lost interest.

But because of that experience, I can relate to all the authors wanting to write Twilight clones.  :p

·
Registered
901 Posts
Mine was a fantasy novel, (which I still plan to re-write, someday). But oy vey! was it bad. It was filled with a sparse spattering of actions, and then a n entire chapter of he-saids and she-saids, with punctuation in all the wrong places, and paragraph breaks were few and far between, and seemingly at random. I was 16, so give me a break. =) Oh... it makes me cringe to read it, but then I keep it around to remind me how far I've come. Here, let me give you a sample.

Joe walked over to the window. "I didn't do anything." He said. "Yes you did!" Juliana said. "Prove it." He said.
"I would if you weren't so stubborn." She said. "Well, I'll show you." He said.

I think you get the idea. (* cringe *) But we've all moved on from those kinds of stories.... right?

·
Registered
876 Posts
jhanel said:
Mine was a fantasy novel, (which I still plan to re-write, someday). But oy vey! was it bad. It was filled with a sparse spattering of actions, and then a n entire chapter of he-saids and she-saids, with punctuation in all the wrong places, and paragraph breaks were few and far between, and seemingly at random. I was 16, so give me a break. =) Oh... it makes me cringe to read it, but then I keep it around to remind me how far I've come. Here, let me give you a sample.

Joe walked over to the window. "I didn't do anything." He said. "Yes you did!" Juliana said. "Prove it." He said.
"I would if you weren't so stubborn." She said. "Well, I'll show you." He said.

I think you get the idea. (* cringe *) But we've all moved on from those kinds of stories.... right?
Heh, I remember it well. I said. ;D

·
Registered
632 Posts
OMG, I have too many of these to count, most of them written in my teenage years.  I kept all of them as a reminder of how much progress you can make when you write all the time.

The first story I ever wrote was when I was like 13.  It was a fantasy romance featuring Jonathon Brandis as my love interest in the role of the prince.  I was a peasant girl.  I think those were the days when all my stories had sad endings (ala Anne of Green Gables).  Needless to say, ours wasn't a love to last through the ages.

I also started a Christian Sci-fi novel when I was 17, which was a TOTAL ripoff of Anne McCaffrey and Star Trek.  I gave myself chills, I was so excited about it.  Needless to say, it was complete trash.  

I think those are my worst. :)  I've learned the value of good editing, that is for sure!

·
Registered
66 Posts
My very first full-length novel, which I lovingly refer to as "my beautifully written piece of cr*p." It's 90,000 words and I can't tell you what it's about, which is sad since I WROTE it. A girl runs away from home. Her car breaks down. Stuff happens. Boring stuff. Half-way through the book, I formed a "writing group" with another gal. Hint: Two people do not make a GROUP. She loves romance - really big, bodice-ripping, over-the-top, romance. I don't normally read romance. Guess what I'd written when we were finished critiquing each other's work?

Yeah. A romance. A really bad one.

The good news is I learned from my mistakes, and knew, if I wrote 90,000 words of dreck, surely I could write at least 70,000 words that made sense.

My next book was what I liked to read: mystery. It got picked up by a publisher. Yay, me. I can be taught.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not so much a bad work as a terrible, terrible set of lines:

"His tears fell like thunderbolts and dropped him to his knees. He shed a silent tear for mankind, and in doing so cried for himself."

I don't know what came over me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Zack S said:
Not so much a bad work as a terrible, terrible set of lines:

"His tears fell like thunderbolts and dropped him to his knees. He shed a silent tear for mankind, and in doing so cried for himself."

I don't know what came over me.
No more alcohol for you.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts