Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or are Witches making a grab at the genre crown currently held by zombies? I keep seeing witch-related projects advertised for this year.

I wonder, because my second project for the year has witches in it, but not in the title. So I'm wondering if I need to come up with an alternate title to embrace the witchy vibes.

Does that even work? With tags gone, having witches in the book won't do a lot for me.... otherwise it'd be a happy coincidence.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Witches are the reverse-swing of vampires and billionaires. It's women with power of their own, not women inheriting power from males through their sexual control. It'll reach its peak only when the economy improves.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Well there's two things I will never write about - one is witches and the other is zombies.  I'm betting on young adult tragic contemporary romance myself.  ;D

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I haven't noticed it - but then again I am 1) a male and 2) unobservant about such things.

What I have heard that, according to IBM, is that steampunk is going mainstream, which should mean, if true, that steampunk becomes a more popular genre to read.

So maybe you need to make it a steampunk witch/zombie bazillionare romance just to cover all bases.

G

·
Can I just write one where the MC is called a witch, but her witchiness only manifests itself in her being as strong and tough as a very fit man 3X her size?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hadn't thought of it that way before, but I think Dayla's onto something when she says we'll see more strong female protagonists when the economy improves. Right now, I think a lot of us would like to be rescued on some level. When you feel like you can rescue yourself, adventure becomes a lot more appealing.

I have my doubts that Steampunk will grow much more as a genre. It's mostly an aesthetic movement. People I know who really love Steampunk are in it for the pretty clothes. And yes, they're gorgeous. I can totally see the look making inroads into mainstream fashion and home decor, but the vast majority of the people I know who self define as Steampunks have never read a Steampunk book.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'd totally read more steampunk. Especially if it has vampires, werewolves, and witches. You know, what Gail Carriger writes (minus the witches). :)

G

·
ChrisRachael said:
I hadn't thought of it that way before, but I think Dayla's onto something when she says we'll see more strong female protagonists when the economy improves. Right now, I think a lot of us would like to be rescued on some level.
But what about male authors who want to be rescued by "the greatest warrior"? ;D

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Deanna Chase said:
I'd totally read more steampunk. Especially if it has vampires, werewolves, and witches. You know, what Gail Carriger writes (minus the witches). :)
So steampunk paranormal?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts