Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience buying ebooks from them? It looks like for the Kindle you have to buy multiformat but alot of the books are secure versions. They do have rebates on books also but again looks like mostly for secure versions. Any one that has any thoughts I would appreciate it as I am new to all this as I ordered my Kindle 2 and am very excited as I read about 1 book every 2 days. Also new to this board so hello to everyone out there! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've bought quite a few books from them.  Only buy the Multiformat books.  You can't input a Kindle-format PID for Secure Mobipocket books, so you can't use the kindlefix.py script to get them to work.

They have quite a few badly written books, so check the reviews for the book (and check for equivalent reviews on Amazon) if you aren't familiar with the author/book.

They do offer rebates occasionally, or sales, which bring the prices down some.

If you like science fiction or fantasy, also make sure to check out Baen Books at www.webscription.net.  They have non-DRM Mobipocket books, including a bunch of free ones.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Also, even on multi-format books, make sure there is a MOBI (best) or PRC version if you want it to look good on the Kindle. You can, of course, convert most of the other formats (Calibre is probably your best bet for a single tool to do so) to mobi, but that will involve varying amounts of extra work.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have used Fictionwise for years, but as the others mention, be sure to purchase the Multiformat. I have close to 600 ebooks that I have purchased from Fictionwise, mostly in the ereader format, that I can read on my iPhone but not my Kindle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts