Kindle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been writing and self publishing for years, and I have over 665 Word Files. I thought I had them organized, but last night I had to hunt and hunt for something and realized my Word filing system ... well, it sucks.

My problem is I don't know how I should organize my files. The things I'm currently working on, I keep them in the My Documents folder so they're easiest to access, and I like doing that. I did have a folder for each series, but as they grew some of it got hard to sift through. But I also had a folder for "Writing" and my books are writing, but they weren't in the writing folder, they had their own folders. In general, it feels very chaotic and unorganized. Some folders have subfolders with subfolders with subfolders. It makes for a lot of clicking when I want to open something up.

There's SO much stuff and I'm feeling really overwhelmed with how to better organize this.

How do you label your files and how do you organize folders? Especially series writers and those who may write under more than one pen name.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Here's how I do it:

Code:
Writing/
  Obsolete/
    dump all versions, scrap, whatever else that I don't want to delete
  vF/
    only the latest final versions of my books - e.g., jenny the serial killer v2.2.vF
  WIP/
    series folder/
       individual file
    series folder/

My typical file move sequence: WIP -> vF -> obsolete/ (when I create a new update)

I'm quite disciplined with this structure and anything that's not the proper full manuscript/published version goes to obsolete/ and vF let's me get to the last best version quickly for any reason (e.g., updates) and then it goes to the WIP as a new working version, and once that's done, it goes to vF from WIP, and the older version goes to obsolete/ and so on.

HTH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I like that idea. I find I go through a lot of versions because I tend to pick at editing so it never feels like I have a 2nd draft, 3rd draft etc, it always feels like a rolling update.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts