Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
6,005 Posts
I would have thought that four minutes of action/plot or whatever, stretched into seven full length movies, won't be worth watching. After ten years of waiting, I doubt anyone will even care how it finishes. This sounds entirely ridiculous and unlikely to me.  :eek: ???

·
Super Moderator
67,497 Posts
It's "The Onion". . . .by definition, everything they publish is entirely ridiculous and unlikely.  Not to mention made up. ::)

Sorry Lin -- being in the UK you're probably not as familiar with it.  They're like a perpetual April Fools' Day joke. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uh oh, I didn't realize this kind of controversial announcement would lead to such a moderator crackdown. I'm not trying to start trouble, honest!

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
foreverjuly said:
Uh oh, I didn't realize this kind of controversial announcement would lead to such a moderator crackdown. I'm not trying to start trouble, honest!
Jason, you're always starting trouble ;)

And the subject made me laugh out loud when I read it...shoulda known it was from The Onion!

Betsy

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Jason, you're always starting trouble ;)

And the subject made me laugh out loud when I read it...shoulda known it was from The Onion!

Betsy
What Betsy said, LOL! I saw the post and your name, Jason. It made me smile, wondering what the joke was. Of course, curiosity killed the cat and I HAD to see what it was all about. Cute. Very funny.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
oh, funny stuff.  Kind of like a movie horcrux?  I cannot wait for the last one.  It's coming up soon.  This summer, right?  I'm sure I'll sob when it's all over.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Oh....what a great morning giggle !

I MUST have the "Gray Cloud Action figures" !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lisa Scott said:
oh, funny stuff. Kind of like a movie horcrux?
HAHA! That was an awesome connection you made. Way to add a whole new level of ingenious to The Onion.

·
6,005 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
It's "The Onion". . . .by definition, everything they publish is entirely ridiculous and unlikely. Not to mention made up. ::)

Sorry Lin -- being in the UK you're probably not as familiar with it. They're like a perpetual April Fools' Day joke. :D
Ah, now I understand. And knowing it's complete tripe, people still read it? :eek: Maybe I don't understand after all! ;D

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Well, really, much of what is reported as "news" is complete tripe anyway, at least here...and The Onion manages to lampoon that quite well....

Betsy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Linjeakel said:
Ah, now I understand. And knowing it's complete tripe, people still read it? :eek: Maybe I don't understand after all! ;D
There's a big difference between trashy tabloids that make stuff up and The Onion, which parodies current events. The jokes are rooted in reality, like the decision to cut the last Harry Potter movie into 2 parts. Then they give it a gentle nudge into the ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
67,497 Posts
What Jason said -- it's not that they're irresponsible with what they 'report'. . . .it's that they take everything in the 'regular' news and exaggerate to the point of silly, or point up small contradictions that when focused on make the whole story sound idiotic. :)  Definitely satirical. . . . in the tradition of Jonathan Swift and Alexander Pope. ;)  

·
Registered
917 Posts
I love The Onion! They're so good at making silliness look real.

The action figures of Hermione almost touching her face--and then actually touching it--great touch!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts