Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Kindle since about Oct 09 and even though I live in a very large city here in the UK, I've never seen anyone else with a Kindle (other than my SIL, who had my K2 when I upgraded to a K3). In fact I've never seen anyone else with an ereader of any kind.

Then this morning, on the bus to work, there was a man reading on a K3. I had to stop myself from rushing over to him and asking him all about his Kindle experience, giving him loads of unsolicited advice and telling him all about KB. ::)

Mind you, I was a little shocked. I mean I know the weather's been fairly mild of late, but he had it right there, out in public *whispers* naked! :eek: ;D

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
LOL!

I predict that within 3 years you'll be seeing them all over.  I got mine in June of '08 and the next spring when I was working I'd notice one now and then but it was really rare.  Last year, spring of 2010, I'd notice them much more regularly, and this past spring I saw several every day at the bus station.

Maybe you'll see the guy again and you can talk to him and enlighten him as to how he really should use 'protection'. ::)

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Lol.  The kindle is still very rare here in Australia.  I'm yet to spot any although I've heard rumours of their existance.  I have seen 2 Sony's.  I think ereaders will catch on here now that ALL the Borders will be closing.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've seen a few and I'm sure they will become more and more common as time goes by.  The Kindle and eReaders in general are revolutionizing the publishing industry and the reading habits of the population.  To quote "Choose Your Future" (one of my short stories) "progress waits for no man".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Reading doesn't really attract many people. I didn't know about kindle either, neither would I have known. I luckily had a friend who enlightened me!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I often read my Kindle in the pub, I've never seen another Kindle user there but I have been questioned about it several times.

I did see another Kindle in the wild a while ago, at the Fleetwood Beer Festival of all places!

[Hmmm, just realised this story doesn't reflect all that well on me. My life doesn't entirely revolve around beer! ;D]

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm a Londoner. One who happened to pre-order the K2International (may it rest in peace!) the day it was announced, and I have to say I didn't see a single Kindle 2 in the wild.

Once the K3 was released, especially with a dedicated UK store, sold by the UK amazon website and top UK shops, I've seen them everywhere. They are common enough that I haven't been asked once what my K3 is. My K2, back when I first had it, drew a comment every time I had it out on the bus though.

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
Morf said:
I often read my Kindle in the pub, I've never seen another Kindle user there but I have been questioned about it several times.

I did see another Kindle in the wild a while ago, at the Fleetwood Beer Festival of all places!

[Hmmm, just realised this story doesn't reflect all that well on me. My life doesn't entirely revolve around beer! ;D]
Well. . . . .I see both anecdotes as postitives. :)

(I prefer a ploughmans or Cornish pasty with a real ale. . . which is not easy to find on this side of the pond. :( )

·
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Morf said:

Maybe this is where I'm going wrong - I'm just not going to the pub as often as I should. ;D

·
Registered
997 Posts
Linjeakel said:
I've had a Kindle since about Oct 09 and even though I live in a very large city here in the UK, I've never seen anyone else with a Kindle (other than my SIL, who had my K2 when I upgraded to a K3). In fact I've never seen anyone else with an ereader of any kind.

Then this morning, on the bus to work, there was a man reading on a K3. I had to stop myself from rushing over to him and asking him all about his Kindle experience, giving him loads of unsolicited advice and telling him all about KB. ::)

Mind you, I was a little shocked. I mean I know the weather's been fairly mild of late, but he had it right there, out in public *whispers* naked! :eek: ;D
It's a growing phenomenon and we'll be seeing them all over the world soon enough. I know they're great for reading at the gym, you can work out and read beautifully, without having to constantly slow down to turn the pages like you do with a physical book.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In my little part of OZ, they are not so rare, my girlfriend had one, and after seeing hers my hubby got me one for christmas, another girlfriend who had seen it bought one for her hubby, from there my sister in law bought one for her hubby, my other girlfriend bought one for her daughter, and then was so jealous of her daughter she bought one for herself, the original girlfriend has now got a hubby who owns one, so you can see from one purchase the love of kindle has grown, before we know it it will be taking over the world mooohaaaaahhaaaaaaa ( evil laugh lol)
jen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts