Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After screwing around for six months (I'll not tell you my excuses - though the first was a doozy), I finally finished up my cover for my paper copy of Have Gun, Will Play, and uploaded it. I hope I can get my proofing copy before I go out of town next week (then I can take it along -- but it would also be fine to have it waiting for me, I guess).

I feel so accomplished, especially since I have a shoulder RSI issue, which has been keeping me from typing -- but I only had mouse-work to finish the cover, and I can do that with my other hand.

I hope to do the paper copy soon after the e-copy for every book in future. (Now that I've got the techniques down, and InDesign set up with templates.)

Must stop typing now... but I'm jazzed!

Camille

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rexjameson said:
How long will your shoulder recovery take? That would drive me insane. Best of wishes for your swift recovery and congratulations on the cover.
Because it's a repetitive stress thing, the problem is re-injury. Luckily it wasn't caused by typing. (It has to do with day job issues at the end of the semester, when I'm not paying attention and work is piling on.) Typing and driving both aggravate it, though, so I have to stop using that arm instantly as soon as it shows any sign of fatigue.

Now that I'm done with the day job stuff for the season, I can give it a few days with only mild typing, and I hope I can get back to normal by the weekend. Once it heals, I can start doing strengthening exercises which should prevent it from happening in the first place.

The biggest problem, if you're prone to RSIs is that stuff you do to relieve one joint can screw up another. That's what's going on with the shoulder -- I had a hand RSI a few years ago, and now my hands are happy as clams. It took a couple of years, though, to get them strong.

Camille

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah ha!

So, they found only one problem -- I mentioned that Createspace was the publisher on the copyright page. (I must have misunderstood -- I thought if we took their ISBN, we were supposed to list them as publisher of record.)  They plan to excise it from the existing file, but frankly, I'm sure I'll find a belated typo or two (plus I may want to change the promo at the back) so I'll fix that.

Now I have to decide whether I want to create a publisher name, and what it should be.  I didn't want to do this because it's the sort of thing I can NEVER make up my mind about.

So here are some thoughts for my press name:

*Pitchlady Press (I used to do business under that name, and I own pitchlady domain)

*Daring Novelist Press (my blog's name -- sounds a bit arrogant when you take it out of the context of the "novel dare" on the blog)

*Wet Mallard Press (my cat's favorite toy, which he dunks in his water dish)
*Damp Duckie Press (alternate to above, which might occur earlier in alphabetical lists)

*Scatterbrained Books (because my genres are so scattered)

*Scattered Mind Press (same a above)

*Dizzy Duck Books (combining several of the above)

I could also do something related to one of my books -- use a name from a made up place in one of them: "Awarshi Press." "Pixiterra Books," "Potewa Press," "Lifbau Books" or "Acteron Books."

Anyway, I won't get the copy to proof until I'm back from my trip so I have time to think about it.

Camille

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I like having a DBA for branding purposes (the world is full of Jennifers), but that's just me.

You must be so psyched to have your physical book in progress! Huge congrats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts