Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever use the company for an audiobook? If so, what is your experience? About how much money would it cost?

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
446 Posts
There are so many different variables. Will you use them for to find a narrator, or do it yourself. A narrator can cost a fair amount there, but the quality was impressive. You can get bids from a variety of them with varying cost based on experience and so on. But that should be the same (more or less) across platforms because the narrator sets their price.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too expensive.
Thanks. Do you know of a service that works on percentage of sales? I understand that Findaway Voices will accept audiobooks just for distribution if one has already been narrated.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Thanks. Do you know of a service that works on percentage of sales? I understand that Findaway Voices will accept audiobooks just for distribution if one has already been narrated.
ACX has many producers who will work for a share of the revenue.

·
Registered
446 Posts
There are split revenue options. And there narrators all over who work for a variety of prices and royalty share arrangements. I got a great one on Fivver for a short audiobook (a work for hire) and I've found them on twitter. You need to audition them, but that's true no matter where you find them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use Findaway to distribute and upwork for talent. It’s more money up front, obviously, but you own all rights and all royalties.

I typically pay about $100 to $200 per 10,000 words. But you can find talented newbies for even less.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use Findaway to distribute and upwork for talent. It’s more money up front, obviously, but you own all rights and all royalties.

I typically pay about $100 to $200 per 10,000 words. But you can find talented newbies for even less.
When you can do that, hire a narrator to do a work for hire instead of royalty share, it sure makes life simpler. On ACX your agreement with the narrator runs for seven years and keeps you exclusive to them. Many top narrators seem to prefer that as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When you can do that, hire a narrator to do a work for hire instead of royalty share, it sure makes life simpler. On ACX your agreement with the narrator runs for seven years and keeps you exclusive to them. Many top narrators seem to prefer that as well.
Unless ACX has adjusted the terms, even if you hire a narrator for hire, you still are locked into the 7 year agreement. The only difference is if you ask, they'll probably cancel it and let you out--but it's really at their discretion.

Find Away is the better option, in my opinion, for the mere fact that you can get Chirp audio deals--a single chirp deal can often pay the cost of a work for hire narrator.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Unless ACX has adjusted the terms, even if you hire a narrator for hire, you still are locked into the 7 year agreement. The only difference is if you ask, they'll probably cancel it and let you out--but it's really at their discretion.

Find Away is the better option, in my opinion, for the mere fact that you can get Chirp audio deals--a single chirp deal can often pay the cost of a work for hire narrator.
You can go nonexclusive if you paid for the narration. You can't if it's a royalty share. That's what I was referring to. You are stuck with only ACX for 7 years if you do a royalty share. With a DYI it's different. I took one out recently to put into Findaway, but I left it in ACX because why pay Findaway a % to put it back?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I came on to start a thread about finding a narrator and this was the top thread! There was a forum I used once years ago to find some voice actors for an animation I was doing, and I was so disappointed to find it had shut down when I started to think about audiobooks.

It's interesting to see things like Upwork and Fiverr being suggested to find narrators - I wouldn't have thought of those. How hard have those of you who have found narrators this way found it to do so? I'm assuming you were able to find people who read and acted the work well...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I came on to start a thread about finding a narrator and this was the top thread! There was a forum I used once years ago to find some voice actors for an animation I was doing, and I was so disappointed to find it had shut down when I started to think about audiobooks.

It's interesting to see things like Upwork and Fiverr being suggested to find narrators - I wouldn't have thought of those. How hard have those of you who have found narrators this way found it to do so? I'm assuming you were able to find people who read and acted the work well...
I did one on Fivver with a narrator who had a good record and it was brilliant. The audio passed ACX without a hitch.
I also had the audiobook cover done by a fivver artist cheap (I provided the photo from Canstock).

·
Registered
246 Posts

Yes, they changed the seven year term as a result of the Audiblegate uproar. I believe it's now 90 days but I'm not sure. If you are an author who did Royalty Share, you have to get the agreement of the Narrator to go wide or leave altogether.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes, they changed the seven year term as a result of the Audiblegate uproar. I believe it's now 90 days but I'm not sure. If you are an author who did Royalty Share, you have to get the agreement of the Narrator to go wide or leave altogether.
Yeah, if its a royalty share its complicated. Of course, now they've changed things so that if you change the blurb and cover art the narrator has to sign off on it as well!!!
Crazy people over there.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I did one on Fivver with a narrator who had a good record and it was brilliant. The audio passed ACX without a hitch.
I also had the audiobook cover done by a fivver artist cheap (I provided the photo from Canstock).
Thanks. I've started to look through people on Fiverr. Now to get my head around the different between broadcast and commercial rights...

·
Registered
403 Posts
What you are after is someone who will do a work for hire... a buyout. Then you own all rights.
What I'm looking at are actors who have add-ons on their profile for commercial rights and broadcast rights - am I wasting my time with these, then, and I should just find someone I like and contact them?

The problem is that I always thought of having audiobook versions of my books as being a nice bonus further down the road, but recently someone with dyslexia asked about an audiobook version because he can't read books, and now I feel bad for not having that option for people who can't read the text versions for various reasons. So it's not something I've been able to look into in detail just yet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
What I'm looking at are actors who have add-ons on their profile for commercial rights and broadcast rights - am I wasting my time with these, then, and I should just find someone I like and contact them?

The problem is that I always thought of having audiobook versions of my books as being a nice bonus further down the road, but recently someone with dyslexia asked about an audiobook version because he can't read books, and now I feel bad for not having that option for people who can't read the text versions for various reasons. So it's not something I've been able to look into in detail just yet.
I would focus on people who specialize in audiobooks, not actors. You need someone who can produce an audio that meets the specifications of ACX and Findaway. An actor might produce a lovely trailer but not have a clue about the technical requirements for audiobooks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sorry, looks like I didn't send my reply :rolleyes:. I meant to say narrators, yes, or audiobook producers. It's hard work finding the right voice, narration style, sound quality, etc. all rolled into one person, but I might have found someone!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts