Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for you intelligent Kindlers with vast amounts of random knowledge:

How do you go about finding a specific font?  In my case, I am trying to match an invitation, where the lowercase letters look like smaller versions of the uppercase.  (Is that called something specific?)

The typesetter is telling me it is "New Century Schoolbook" but when I look up that font it dosen't look the same.  Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Is it at least similar-looking? If so, you could try changing the settings on "New Century Schoolbook". With some fonts, simply changing from standard to boldface makes a huge difference in the way it looks. And with some of them, changing the size changes the appearance enough to make you think it's a different font.

Or if you have a printing shop nearby you could just take your sample there and ask for a second opinion.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mom of 4-

If you are using MS Word, if you go into the Font dialog box (Format/Font in Word 2003 and below, or the dialog launcher button in the Font group for Word 2007) you will see a check box halfway down the dialog box that is for Small Caps. That will automatically make the caps slightly bigger for letters you make uppercase and smaller for those you don't. This added to the New Century Schoolbook font may give you what you what.

Let me know if you have questions.

(Yes I have been a computer trainer for over 14 years and it shows :) )

·
Registered
142 Posts
Whatthefont is likely your best choice.

http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

You either take a picture or (preferably) scan the card in and edit out just the part where you want the font.

Otherwise if the typesetter is saying it's NEW Century Schoolbook it might be a bolded or italicized version of that font.

You don't happen to have it already scanned in or in digital format in some way do you? I can compare it to the font's I have as well and see. It could also be modified afterwards.

If you want feel free to PM me.

Harm

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew you people would be on it!!! :D

Rhiathame, that's it!
Harmakhet, that worked and it agreed with the typesetter.

THANK YOU ALL!  I have a tendency to spend more time picking out my fonts than I do on the project.  You just saved me from wasting the REST of this morning! ;D

·
Registered
142 Posts
No problemo.  I use that site quite often...I tend to get projects that others have worked on and forgot to bundle up the fonts as well.  So I have to track things down to be able to edit them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts