Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we lived in Pa we had the best vet ever!!! When our rescued stray got very ill and had to stay at the vets...she called every evening to let us know how he was...sometimes even from her home after her workday. Then when he came home she would call the first week or two to see how he was. We even tried to talk her into moving to Florida with us!!! LOL.
Since we have been here in Florida we have gone to 5 different vets and for different reason with each we still haven't found one we like...and there seem to be soooo many here just in the Clearwater area.
I am not bashing vets at all...I do know ther are many excellant ones out there, we had one!
But what are some good tips to finding a good vet BEFORE I need one?

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
I don't know, I guess I just got lucky. Found the right vet the first time around. And best of all, she's only a five minute drive from my house.

When my last dog (before this one) got really sick and almost died she nursed him back to health and was really caring the whole time. During that first night when we thought he would die she actually took him home with her, rather than leaving him alone in a kennel. It comforted me a lot to know he was with someone who was taking such good care of him. And he pulled through in the end.  :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow Dara, that is a GREAT vet...to take your furbaby home with her. I would definitely keep that one!

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I will hopefully be getting a puppy in two weeks.  So I am looking for a vet too.  Loved the vet we had in late '50s - early '60s for my Bro Beagle (below).  I plan to name my puppy Burke in honor of that vet Dr. Walter Burke. 

There are a few vet practices in this area.  Would you recommend single vet practice or a larger practice?  Single vet I'm thinking of is in same building where Dr. Burke's practice was.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
It's like finding a good doctor - one that not only cares, but like T.L. said stays on top of science and research and will think outside the box and not just treat the symptoms, but try to find the cause of an illness or injury.

I've found word of mouth is the best way to find a good vet (or doctor, for that matter). Check with people at work/school/church or in your neighborhood. Ask on FB, that is if you have enough FB friends locally to get recommendations within driving distance.

Another good place to get recommendations would be your local dog training club or kennel club. People who are into dog activities talk to each other a lot.

We have a vet who is 5 minutes away who's good for routine things and emergencies. For hip x-rays or eye exams we go to different vets. And for more complicated or serious things, we go to a clinic with multiple vets. If one of them can't figure something out, they go ask one of the other vets. Love the place, but they're at least twice the price of our regular vet. Some things are worth the money, though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Word of mouth is good.  Also, it's worth asking if they will speak to you for 10 minutes.  Then you can ask what their general philosophy is regarding care (do they go by what owners comfort levels are?  Will they advise you or just present the options with no perspective?  My comfort level for my pets is whatever it takes if the pet can have a quality life after recovery and the treatment isn't so hard on them it affects their trust (I had a cat with diabetes whom I gave insulin shots twice a day for years.  She had a good quality of life, and she tolerated the shot routine well.  I have a cat now who would be so freaked out by daily injections that I would never consider that as a treatment--his life would be awful for him.  Bt, I have a friend who will bot do much treatment at  all, and another who will do whatever it takes even if there is no good outcome).  You have to know that you and the vet understand each other about this.  Also, always ask if you can see the back rooms (where they keep recovering pets) without giving any notice, and ask what their sanitation routines are for exam rooms. 

Sorry for so much advice :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
T.L. Haddix said:
I know a few things to look for - full-service facilities, and I would say younger doctors. Meaning doctors not over 50 or so. Yes, it's slightly prejudicial of me, but younger docs tend to a. have more bills to pay and so are hungrier, and b. keep up with the science of veterinary medicine more.
The flip side of that is that IME younger vets tend to make up for their lack of experience by opting to do costly testing right off the bat, whereas an older vet with lots of experience under his/her belt can often make an accurate diagnosis based on owner-described symptoms and physical examination.

I prefer a group practice. There are four vets in the group I use, and over the years I've "learned" them all very well and can pick which one I think would be best for any particular illness/condition one of my pets has. I'm fairly good at "diagnosing" many things myself. If one of my pets has a puzzling problem, I usually choose to see the older vet, because I've learned he can usually make a fast, accurate diagnosis with minimal testing. But he's not quite so personable as a couple of the younger ones, so if one of my pets has a condition that I think might require some ongoing detective work between me and the vet (something like allergies), then I usually choose one of the younger vets.

If I were new to an area, I'd use Petfinder to locate a couple of humane societies and rescue groups in the area and e-mail asking them for vet references. They usually know the best vets in the area.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I would go to a specialty pet food store and ask the staff (who might not tell you because it looks like an endorsement.).  Anyway, people like vets for certain reasons.  I have one vet for my cat, and another for my dogs (drive about 45 minutes to get to the dog vet).  Love the cat vet, but have met someone who doesn't like him at all.  Go figure.

You might also go to dog parks and ask around.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great advice. It has been a crap shoot so far in finding one I like, my pets like, and doesn't want to test for everything under the sun. I have asked quite a few people around here. We live in the "pet section" here and I know most of the people who walk their dogs past here. I get a different vet recommendation every time I ask someone! LOL.
Lots of great advice here so I will keep searching.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts