Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a series of posts about tactics for finding free ebooks through library sites.  Most large universities have digitization projects that specialize in certain topics or collections & they aren't always easy to find.  I catalog books so I have a good idea how to make searching easier. 

This will take a lot of time, so are you all interested?

I plan to test downloads and suggest the best format or conversion process for the Kindle.  I'll also try to include a good description of each collection.

I'll be posting a few results I've already compiled shortly.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
wi4 said:
I'm considering a series of posts about tactics for finding free ebooks through library sites. Most large universities have digitization projects that specialize in certain topics or collections & they aren't always easy to find. I catalog books so I have a good idea how to make searching easier.

This will take a lot of time, so are you all interested?
I'm absolutely interested, especially if there are links to historical documents from the 18 and early 19th centurys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most libraries haven't caught onto the mobi format yet, it'll mostly be converted html or other file types.

·
Super Moderator
67,250 Posts
I checked Arlington County library.  Seems like you can get them but they expire in 15 minutes.  So then you just ask for it again. Seems silly, and I may not have the whole story as I didn't actually log on. . . .don't have my library card handy to do so.

Ann

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
I checked Arlington County library. Seems like you can get them but they expire in 15 minutes. So then you just ask for it again. Seems silly, and I may not have the whole story as I didn't actually log on. . . .don't have my library card handy to do so.

Ann
Are you sure that's not the length of time to have it in your cart? Mine will expire in 30 minutes if I haven't checked out by then.

·
Super Moderator
67,250 Posts
Could be. . . as I said I didn't actually sign in and try to do anything. From what I could tell, you could only read it through the computer anyway, which I wouldn't want.

This is what it said

More information:

NetLibrary eBooks can be viewed online for 15 minutes.

Effective August 2006, the online checkout feature for NetLibrary eBooks was discontinued.

To read eBooks online, click the option for "View." eBooks will expire and close automatically after the 15 minute viewing period. To continue reading, click "View" again.

The link references, separately, Project Gutenberg, Bartleby, and the UPenn on line library.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Could be. . . as I said I didn't actually sign in and try to do anything. From what I could tell, you could only read it through the computer anyway, which I wouldn't want.

This is what it said

More information:

NetLibrary eBooks can be viewed online for 15 minutes.

Effective August 2006, the online checkout feature for NetLibrary eBooks was discontinued.

To read eBooks online, click the option for "View." eBooks will expire and close automatically after the 15 minute viewing period. To continue reading, click "View" again.

The link references, separately, Project Gutenberg, Bartleby, and the UPenn on line library.
If that's the case, it doesn't seem very user friendly especially if you get to a good part and the book disappears :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts