Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I LOVE discovering new novels/authors on my Kindle. It's one of the many reasons that I love it so much - it's allowed me to explore genres I might never have discovered otherwise.

Here's what I do:

I get emails from Barnes & Noble, Random House and the "Whats New on Kindle" email. When I get those, I go directly to Amazon, to the Kindle store and search to see if it's there. If it's there, and I'm interested, then I download the sample (hence the many pages of samples I have!) I have found soo many wonderful stories that I would otherwise have never come across this way, or would never have explored, I guess I should say.

The other thing I do, and I LOVE doing this, because I love bookstores (surprise, surprise!) is to go to Borders or B&N and stroll around, making a list of any book that catches my eye. Then again, I'll cozy up with my computer and Amazon and see if the book is on the Kindle, and if so, I download the sample.

Life with a Kindle is good! :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I use message boards. If someone says something that makes me interested than I'll check out a sample, otherwise I have no need to go out of my way looking for something to read. However, if I did need to look on my own I would use Gnooks. Type in a known name and other names pop up.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, that sounds neat, Selcien. I'll check that out. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
ScrappingForever said:
I LOVE discovering new novels/authors on my Kindle. It's one of the many reasons that I love it so much - it's allowed me to explore genres I might never have discovered otherwise.

Here's what I do:

I get emails from Barnes & Noble, Random House and the "Whats New on Kindle" email. When I get those, I go directly to Amazon, to the Kindle store and search to see if it's there. If it's there, and I'm interested, then I download the sample (hence the many pages of samples I have!) I have found soo many wonderful stories that I would otherwise have never come across this way, or would never have explored, I guess I should say.

The other thing I do, and I LOVE doing this, because I love bookstores (surprise, surprise!) is to go to Borders or B&N and stroll around, making a list of any book that catches my eye. Then again, I'll cozy up with my computer and Amazon and see if the book is on the Kindle, and if so, I download the sample.

Life with a Kindle is good! :)
That is pretty much my story, too... Kindle has opened up so many avenues for new authors and books I would have never considered before!

btw - I don't believe I have said hello and welcome to you ScrappingForever!! Hello and welcome!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
All the new authors I have discovered in the past 8 months have come from a email list/yahoo group that I belong to: GWR (gay writers and readers). It's fun being on a list with the authors because I get the inside scoop on new stories, what they are working on, etc.

L

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Not a bad idea.  I myself have fallen prey to Amazon's "Shoppers who bought what you did filed for bankruptcy and then came back for this..."

They recommended that if I liked Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, that I might also like Tom Holt.  They were right.  The first book, "The Portable Door" has been hilariously funny, even though I've left it laying on the ottoman for more than a month now.  Guess who's stuff isn't on kindle yet?

I think it's a conspiracy.

~robin

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Not a bad idea. I myself have fallen prey to Amazon's "Shoppers who bought what you did filed for bankruptcy and then came back for this..."
~robin
LOL!

Betsy

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Suzanne said:
I sometimes use the site www.WhatShouldIReadNext.com You enter in the title of a book and based on that book it makes recommendations. Now with the Kindle, if a book's on Kindle, I'll sample it.
That's kind of cool. I also like www.literature-map.com, a site that someone recommended on the amazon boards. You put in the name of an author you like, and it gives you a kind of "map" of similar authors - the closer the name is, the more likely you are to like them, so they say. For example, I put in Madeleine L'Engle, and it had very close Edna St. Vincent Millay, then Laura Ingalls Wilder a bit further out, Willa Cather, and on out. It's fun to see the names kind of explode out from the center and float around until they find their place.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
marianner said:
That's kind of cool. I also like www.literature-map.com, a site that someone recommended on the amazon boards. You put in the name of an author you like, and it gives you a kind of "map" of similar authors - the closer the name is, the more likely you are to like them, so they say. For example, I put in Madeleine L'Engle, and it had very close Edna St. Vincent Millay, then Laura Ingalls Wilder a bit further out, Willa Cather, and on out. It's fun to see the names kind of explode out from the center and float around until they find their place.
That is way cool...

Betsy

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just put Diana Gabaldon in the literature-map thing. They have Marion Zimmer-Bradley and Sara Donati as being the only close ones. Then there's a big empty space and a bunch of other authors. I agree on Sara Donati, but not so much on Marion Zimmer-Bradley. I guess Diana is pretty much a breed all to herself!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank you for the search  book links.  They are great.  They will be a part of my continual search for new Kindle reading material.  It will particularly fill my need for new mystery writers. :D

Judy

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
ScrappingForever said:
I just put Diana Gabaldon in the literature-map thing. They have Marion Zimmer-Bradley and Sara Donati as being the only close ones. Then there's a big empty space and a bunch of other authors. I agree on Sara Donati, but not so much on Marion Zimmer-Bradley. I guess Diana is pretty much a breed all to herself!
I don't care so much for Marion Zimmer-Bradley myself. I'll have to look at Sara Donati.

·
Registered
869 Posts
ScrappingForever said:
I have & do read Zimmer-Bradley books. Generally speaking, her "Darkover" series follows a family or two across time and generations, and that may be why there are both somewhere on the map for Gabaldon.

Marci

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Suzanne said:
I sometimes use the site www.WhatShouldIReadNext.com You enter in the title of a book and based on that book it makes recommendations. Now with the Kindle, if a book's on Kindle, I'll sample it.
I have added this to my links on my tool bar so it is always handy. Thanks, Suzanne!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts