Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've converted some old Sony reader books and other docs from PDF files, but  chapter formatting has disappeared.

Is there any way to find specific original page numbers using K1 location system, so one could get to (approximately) a specific part of a book on the K1?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If your book doesn't have a linked table of contents, the only way is to approximate.  You can take the total number of pages in your original document and determine what percentage of the book your place is.  Say you want about 20% into the book.  Then you look at the total number of locations in the Kindle version, and you determine the same percentage.  Say there are 2000 locations.  So 20% would be location 400.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
marianner said:
If your book doesn't have a linked table of contents, the only way is to approximate. You can take the total number of pages in your original document and determine what percentage of the book your place is. Say you want about 20% into the book. Then you look at the total number of locations in the Kindle version, and you determine the same percentage. Say there are 2000 locations. So 20% would be location 400.
That certainly makes sense -- IOW, do the math! :) I was hoping there would be some magic formula, but I guess its different for every book and font size. I guess I could make bookmarks when I find particular chapters so I could find them again...thanks!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Bookmarking chapters is probably your best bet unfortunately.

I have very little experience with converting books/documents/files unless it's attaching them to an email and sending it off to Amazon. I know there are many more knowledgable people who can give great advice.

It's actually something I want to start working on so that I can make an ebook for myself of all of the Customer Service posts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
luvmy4brats said:
Bookmarking chapters is probably your best bet unfortunately.

I have very little experience with converting books/documents/files unless it's attaching them to an email and sending it off to Amazon. I know there are many more knowledgable people who can give great advice.

It's actually something I want to start working on so that I can make an ebook for myself of all of the Customer Service posts.
Some of the books I had were in .lit format which Amazon cannot convert. But I found a program that converts .lit files to .text or word.doc, which Amazon will convert to the kindle format. I wish there were a way to retain chapter formatting, but it kook like there isn't.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
skanter said:
Some of the books I had were in .lit format which Amazon cannot convert. But I found a program that converts .lit files to .text or word.doc, which Amazon will convert to the kindle format. I wish there were a way to retain chapter formatting, but it kook like there isn't.
If you feel like spending a little bit of money (because the book is really important to you) I can highly recommend Joshua Tallent at www.kindleformatting.com. Joshua does a great job and if you say, "I want this book to have chapter breaks, a linked table of contents, etc." Joshua will deliver it it you.

He also has a book coming out (any day, I believe) on formatting books for the Kindle, so you can learn to do it yourself. Apparently, the best way to format books is in HTML so you need to learn some of that (and get an HTML editor of some sort, you probably don't want to do it all on Notepad in Windows) but I gather that the actual process is not too hard, once you figure out what you are doing. For me, I haven't bothered figuring it out and just pay Joshua to do the job.

If all of this seems like too much trouble then you'll probably end up with somewhat crummy looking books. Like I said at the beginning, it really depends on how important the book is to you.

L

1 - 6 of 6 Posts