Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Tupper -- I've merged your questions into one thread and will move them to the Forum 'suggestions and comments' board.

Welcome!

You can access your profile under the 'MyKBoards' tab in the menu along the top. There you can set email notifications.

On each thread you start you can click 'add bookmark', a button that appears at both the top and bottom of every forum thread. You can then access any thread you start -- or indeed any thread you bookmark -- by going to 'my bookmarks' which is also in the 'MyKboards' tab.

It looks like you've found the "Writer's Cafe" -- that's the place to ask any and all questions about writing or publishing your books.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ann in Arlington said:
You can access your profile under the 'MyKBoards' tab in the menu along the top. There you can set email notifications.
I don't see any options to do that...

Ann in Arlington said:
On each thread you start you can click 'add bookmark', a button that appears at both the top and bottom of every forum thread. You can then access any thread you start -- or indeed any thread you bookmark -- by going to 'my bookmarks' which is also in the 'MyKboards' tab.
So it sounds like there isn't such an option?

Bookmarking sounds annying because the bookmarks won't go away after the thread becomes dated, right?

It's pretty standard fare on online forums to have an option to see all of your current threads.

If I start several threads, and then am gone for a few days, I'll never be able to remember or find the questions that I asked?!

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
TupperLake, you may have missed the link at the top left saying "Show new replies to your posts." Clicking on it should narrow down activity enough to find your own recent threads easily.

Alternatively, you can go into your profile and look at your own posts, choosing "topics" as the view preference. You'll then see only the threads you have initiated rather than every post you've made in every thread.

The way to navigate to the notification function Ann mentioned is MyKBoards > Profile > Account Settings > Modify Profile > Notifications. To activate notifications for a particular thread, use the "Notify" button at the top right of the thread.

The forum software we use is called SimpleMachines. You can study up on the details here, if you're interested.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Becca Mills said:
TupperLake, you may have missed the link at the top left saying "Show new replies to your posts." Clicking on it should narrow down activity enough to find your own recent threads easily.
Yes, I did notice those links. The only limitation is this...

If someone posts to my thread, it shows up when I click that link. But after I read the latest new post, it no longer appears in that list.

Often I want to go back and read threads I have started because I forget questions I ask.

So if there are no new posts to a thread, then that link won't help me find threads I have strated.

Follow me?

Becca Mills said:
Alternatively, you can go into your profile and look at your own posts, choosing "topics" as the view preference. You'll then see only the threads you have initiated rather than every post you've made in every thread.
That is one thing I was asking for... "Threads created by me"

I'm not following where what you decribe is located?!

What is the navigation path, please?

Is it MyKBoard > Profile > something > something???

Becca Mills said:
The way to navigate to the notification function Ann mentioned is MyKBoards > Profile > Account Settings > Modify Profile > Notifications. To activate notifications for a particular thread, use the "Notify" button at the top right of the thread.
I don't have a choice for "Notifications" at this path:

MyKBoards > Profile > Account Settings > Modify Profile > Notifications

Becca Mills said:
The forum software we use is called SimpleMachines. You can study up on the details here, if you're interested.
Okay.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
TupperLake said:
Yes, I did notice those links. The only limitation is this...

If someone posts to my thread, it shows up when I click that link. But after I read the latest new post, it no longer appears in that list.

Often I want to go back and read threads I have started because I forget questions I ask.
So if there are no new posts to a thread, then that link won't help me find threads I have strated.

Follow me?
Yes, true. Well, bookmarking would work and is what we generally recommend, but one does have to be willing to clear out bookmarks periodically. I do it once every couple years.

If you lose track of a thread you really need, you can always do a Google search. For instance, the search string site:www.kboards.com computer book piracy tupperlake takes me right to the thread you started a couple days ago, and probably always will. The SimpleMachines native search function isn't good, so I don't recommend that.

TupperLake said:
That is one thing I was asking for... "Threads created by me"

I'm not following where what you decribe is located?!

What is the navigation path, please?

Is it MyKBoard > Profile > something > something???
Yes, you go MyKBoards > Profile > and then choose any of the three options (Summary, Account Settings, Forum Profile). All of those three screens have the orange words "Profile Info" partway up. If you hover over those words, you get a drop-down menu. Go to "Show Posts," then choose "Topics."

TupperLake said:
I don't have a choice for "Notifications" at this path:

MyKBoards > Profile > Account Settings > Modify Profile > Notifications
You go to Account Settings through the first three steps of the path you quoted above: MyKBoards > Profile > Account Settings. On the resulting screen, look for the orange words "Modify Profile" and hover over them with your cursor. A drop-down menu will appear, and "Notifications" will be one of the options. The Notifications screen is where you control settings for how you want to receive notifications (weekly, right away, etc.).

You turn on notifications for a particular thread on the thread itself, so that's a separate step.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Becca Mills said:
Yes, true. Well, bookmarking would work and is what we generally recommend, but one does have to be willing to clear out bookmarks periodically. I do it once every couple years.
As long as I can delete bookmarks, I can live with them.

Becca Mills said:
If you lose track of a thread you really need, you can always do a Google search. For instance, the search string site:www.kboards.com computer book piracy tupperlake takes me right to the thread you started a couple days ago, and probably always will. The SimpleMachines native search function isn't good, so I don't recommend that.
True.

Becca Mills said:
Yes, you go MyKBoards > Profile > and then choose any of the three options (Summary, Account Settings, Forum Profile). All of those three screens have the orange words "Profile Info" partway up. If you hover over those words, you get a drop-down menu. Go to "Show Posts," then choose "Topics."

You go to Account Settings through the first three steps of the path you quoted above: MyKBoards > Profile > Account Settings. On the resulting screen, look for the orange words "Modify Profile" and hover over them with your cursor. A drop-down menu will appear, and "Notifications" will be one of the options. The Notifications screen is where you control settings for how you want to receive notifications (weekly, right away, etc.).

You turn on notifications for a particular thread on the thread itself, so that's a separate step.
Okay, that helped me figure things out!! Thanks!!

(Whoever designed and wrote your forum software should be smacked!!)

Thanks again! :)

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
Happy to help, TupperLake! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts