Kindle Forum banner

When did your Kindle update to version 1.2?

• Has Not Updated

Votes: 50 26.3%
  • Before 2/5/09

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 2/5/09 (Thu)

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • 2/6/09 (Fri)

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • 2/7/09 (Sat)

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • 2/8/09 (Sun)

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • 2/9/09 (Mon)

Votes: 19 10.0%
  • 2/10/09 (Tue)

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • 2/11/09 (Wed)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • 2/12/09 (Thu)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2/13/09 (Fri)

• 2/14/09 (Sat)

1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsing the threads at Amazon, there is one discussing that several Kindle owners have had the latest 1.2 version downloaded. Apparently there are only a few minor changes. Curious if anyone here has any knowledge of 1.2.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Well that number hasn't made it to the Kindle support area yet.  I turned on Whispernet and no update for me and the 'Update Your Kindle' link is greyed out.  Here are the comments from Amazon
--------------------
My Kindle just updated with version 1.2 yesterday, but sounds like not a whole lot of people have received the update yet. Found absolutely NO information on it -- even Amazon still shows version 1.0.8 as being the latest version.

Only things I've noticed so far:
- NowNow is nownow gone from the Experimental area. Only "Basic Web" and "Play music" remain.
- "Check for New Content" is now "Sync & Check for Items"
- New option on a book's menu -- "Sync to Furthest Page Read"

The Syncing features are intriguing. What does it mean exactly?
I opened up one of my books and checked the "Sync to Furthest Page Read" and got the following message:
"You are currently at location 257. The furthest location read is 1 from "Timothy's Kindle" at 10:43 AM EST on October 09, 2008. Go to that location?"
I'm guessing this means that you may need to sync often in order for the numbering to not be so screwy.
Has anybody else received this update at all? Any information of other new features that I'm missing?
---------------------
Sync's instead of Checking for new items (and appears to know the difference between multiple kindles on one account now, so it can keep track of last page each).

NowNow gone

Content manager can sort by Oldest First, not just newest first.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I subscribe to Len Edgerly's Kindle Chronicles mailing list, and just received this message from him:

Hi all,
I just learned that Amazon yesterday began rolling out a firmware update for the Kindle via Whispernet. I'm going to talk about it on the podcast today, and I'd love to hear from anyone whose Kindle has received the update. If you go to your home screen, press the cursor roller at Menu, then choose "Settings," and you'll find what version you have at the bottom of the screen. Mine is still Version 1.0.8 but if you've got the update, you should see 1.2.0 .
The interface change is very minor, apparently. If you share more than one Kindle on the same Amazon account, you can leave off reading a book on one Kindle and then sync to that same place on another Kindle. Also in the "Experimental" area, they've removed the "Ask Kindle NowNow" area, catching up with the discontinuance of NowNow.
I'd love to do a quick, three-minute phone interview ASAP with anyone who has 1.2.0 on their Kindle, so if yours has been updated and you'd like to be on the podcast, please give me a call at the cell number below and I'll ring you back on Skype to record your impressions of the new version.
I wonder if this might be a trial run for a more significant firmware update to coincide with the launch of Kindle 2.0.
Cheers,
Len

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
What happens to the folks who don't live in Whispernet area or have a slow connection? Does Amazon eventually post a firmware update on their site? or is this the first update for the Kindle?

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Maybe there are some families where people pick up whatever Kindle and read on it instead of having their own dedicated Kindle so the syncing thing might allow people who are reading a book on one Kindle to pick up in the same place on a different Kindle?

No idea

·
Registered
131 Posts
Megan, thanks for posting my Kindle Chronicles Email Alert item on 1.2.0 here.  It didn't include my cell number, which I'm glad to share here in case anyone has 1.2.0 and would be willing to call me so we could do a quick interview for today's podcast.  It's 303-919-7187.  Thanks.
Len

·
Registered
544 Posts
LenEdgerly said:
Megan, thanks for posting my Kindle Chronicles Email Alert item on 1.2.0 here. It didn't include my cell number, which I'm glad to share here in case anyone has 1.2.0 and would be willing to call me so we could do a quick interview for today's podcast. It's 303-919-7187. Thanks.
Len
No problem! I knew you'd pop over here pretty soon but thought I'd share what I knew in the meantime.

·
Registered
268 Posts
so, since it is unavailable on Amazon and the "Update your Kindle" option is greyed out, is there anyway to get the update beside being patient and leaving Whispernet on? I have 1.1.1, so does this mean I will have to wait longer than people who have 1.0.8?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I really, really hope that when the update is in general release (one poster said that CS advised not released to public yet), that Amazon addresses at least ONE item that has been asked for (folders?) The updates that have been described sound lame, err...not as useful to me as I would like. :-[

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
This synch update seems awfull. Suppose a husband and wife are both reading the same book. They will be in different places in the book. You don't want the book to update on both so that they are both on the same page.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
On the amazon boards, they are speculating that the sync is so that each copy of the book would have its own "last location," but I don't know.  I turned on Whispernet, went to settings, and clicked on the menu to see if "Update Your Kindle" was active, but no go.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Each copy of the book already has its own "last location" stored.  If my husband and I are both reading the same book, we both have our places kept, so what needs "fixing".

After this much time, I think the change I'd want most is the addition of "Show only Kindle memory and SD card" in the Content Manager.  Now, you can show All, Amazon only, or Kindle only, or SD card only.  Showing everything the Kindle has locally would be nice. 

I've kind of gotten used to not having folders by now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Atunah said:
I was just reading that too. Then some have a 1.1 version. I must have the "ancient" version with 1.0.8. :D

Anyone here got any updates?
I still have 1.0.4. I must be way behind the game!!

G

·
I have ver 1.1.1 and a greyed out Update Your Kindle selection. sounds like they just wanted to get rid of the NowNow selection in Experimental

1 - 20 of 478 Posts