Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about a month away from pushing the publish button. I'm trying to keep the "what-ifs" from consuming me, but I'm getting less and less excited about this. Not in a "Let me get this out of the way" way, but in a "The more I think about it, my book is crap" way. Is this normal?

I don't want to talk about it to my friends or family because all they will do is roll their eyes at me, as much as I've been talking about the novel. Besides, they are, for the most part, excited for me. I don't want to let them down. I've put too much time, money and most importantly, my energy into this.

I just want to feel better than "meh" about this. I want my butterflies to come back!

Not looking for any sympathy, just want to know if it's normal?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi Stephanie
I sympahise, I really do. I'm about to hit publish on my second short story and because it isn't traditional horror like my first story I'm plagued with self doubts, moreso because I'm donating 20c from each copy to a mental health charity. I keep thinking, what if it doesn't sell? What will I tell the charity? What if readers of my first story hate it? etc.
I understand that your fears would be greater than mine because you're launching a full novel.
All I can say, it's normal but when you see that first sale or review you will be jumping up and down with excitment.
Good luck with the novel and your future success Stephanie ;D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Definitely a common feeling and the only way to get past it is to develop the professional attitude and put it out there. At this point, you don't have the perspective to be a good judge of your own work and it makes no difference anyway. The only real judges that matter are your readers and, believe me, you will see their response (even if it is ignoring you).

This is just the beginning of your ride and the roller coaster hasn't even left the start yet. It looks kinda lame at the moment, but it will still take you up and down and will leave you thrilled and nauseous (sometimes at the same time). Get it done and buy the E ticket (press the submit button).

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Oh, god yes. I've written 11 books now, and I still think that every book I publish is crap. Not really, but I'm always afraid that my readers will think it's crap. It's the hardest thing in the world, pressing that "publish" button and, for me, it never.gets.easier.

But yeah, on my first book, oooo boy, was I nervous! People can be mean, and I thought that my baby would be ripped to shreds. Imagine my overwhelming joy when the very first review was a five star. Followed within a few days by a one star review. LOL. Story of my life. It takes guts to be in this business and endure the criticism.

The rewards, however, are more than worth the nonsense and fretting. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Stephanie,

I am a month away from publishing my first children's book and I know exactly how you feel. I believe in this book and I have carried this story in my heart for years. Don't worry, you will be absolutely fine and your book will be brilliant! Just believe and don't fall into the self doubt trap.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's probably the single most normal feeling you'll have an author. You're sending your "baby" out into the world to fly, it's normally to wonder if it's your best work and if you're ready. But if you've done all the things you can do, then you have to trust yourself and your talent. The butterflies will abound shortly after the book goes live: With the first sale, the first really good review, the first e-mail from a reader praising you because you're a new author she's going to one-click.

Congratulations!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
What you're feeling is perfectly normal. I spent whole months believing my book was crap. I pushed through my fear and uncertainty and kept working to make my first novel the very best I can. When the time came to hit the publish button I was so focused on getting it over with that I didn't even think about the implications until I'd done it.

The moment I did the butterflies were back in full force. Getting my first pre-order did wonders for my self-confidence, but as my release date rolls around the butterflies are multiplying. (My first book will be out on Monday, March 2nd.  :) )

Persevere and don't let your fears hold you back. Your sense of anticipation and excitement will return in due time.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Awww Stephanie *hugs* When I uploaded and published on kindle it was very anti-climatic. I was scared and worried, and my husband brought me a hard apple cider and told me to "chill." lol I think a lot of people feel that way. The beautiful thing about publishing ebooks is that it give the author a chance to tweak the book after it's published, so that helps.

Congrats for being so close. It's a weird stage. Hang in there. :)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hi,

I hit publish last night and even though the book is live I'm still waiting for the cover to update so I'm not really sharing this with anyone cause my book page makes my first baby look rather... shall I say... naked, without the book cover (though now it is showing up on the 'look inside' part)

And yes, I have that "OMG, what if my debut novel is 'crap' material?"  "What if I'm a phony pretender wanna-be?"  Way too much of that and I took almost all of February to edit it, proof it, review it, format it and I've read as many posts, articles, blogs and other materials to make me a better writer, publisher and overall reader.

I guess it is normal after reading what others posted and finding myself in the same boat.  I am very glad you posted this question :)

Best of luck to you next month!
SM

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Hugsssss and Jelly beans.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Of course not! I'm in the final stages of publishing my first novel and lately I've been thinking it's trash lol

It's good to see that it's a normal feeling. I've already gone this far and made the investment, so no going back!

Lots of luck with your release!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Here's a thought that may help your nerves a little Stephanie. Why not plunge yourself into your marketing activities like promoting on your social media, author site. I just uploaded my new story yesterday so today I'm getting my author site ready with mail sign ins etc. I'm also posting on my social media sites generating future interest. I've been so busy I haven't had any time to think or my success or otherwise. Try it, you may find it helps ;D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts