Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I uploaded my first books ever published for profit, and I got sales for both of them within the last few hours.  Their category is erotica and I read recently on this forum that someone had a quick sale and found their book on a pirated site.  Should I be worried about these quick sales?  How can I find if my books have been pirated?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
MacWillard said:
I uploaded my first books ever published for profit, and I got sales for both of them within the last few hours. Their category is erotica and I read recently on this forum that someone had a quick sale and found their book on a pirated site. Should I be worried about these quick sales? How can I find if my books have been pirated?
This is getting worse and worse. The last book I published was pirated when just 8 copies were sold!

Try doing a Google search for the name of your book in quotes. If it's on a file sharing site, you can send a take down notice (a link is usually on these sites), but I think they sometimes ignore them.

Once it's on a Torrent, there's not much you can do. Just keep telling yourself that in the long run you'll pick up some new fans--some of which will buy your next title.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MJAWare said:
Try doing a Google search for the name of your book in quotes. If it's on a file sharing site, you can send a take down notice (a link is usually on these sites), but I think they sometimes ignore them.

Once it's on a Torrent, there's not much you can do. Just keep telling yourself that in the long run you'll pick up some new fans--some of which will buy your next title.
Dang. Well, I'll just have to look on the bright side and hope some free advertising comes out of this (should it prove to be pirated) ;D

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Boy, talk about glass half empty.

Maybe someone was browsing to see what new erotica was out there and decided to give yours a try!  At least spend a day or two enjoying your sale before you decide it's all doom and gloom. 

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
You got sales so quickly after publishing because you write erotica. I have only seen a few instances where a piece of erotica doesn't sell at least one or two copies within 24 hours of becoming available to the public.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
David Scroggins said:
You got sales so quickly after publishing because you write erotica. I have only seen a few instances where a piece of erotica doesn't sell at least one or two copies within 24 hours of becoming available to the public.
Challenge accepted!

(As in, the challenge to write erotica so horrible nobody dares buy it. I already have a cover. Comic Sans for the font.)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Dalya said:
Challenge accepted!

(As in, the challenge to write erotica so horrible nobody dares buy it. I already have a cover. Comic Sans for the font.)
Are you going to use a pseud? Remember, you also write YA books. Or are you just going to settle for corrupting the little darlings?

Be prepared in case the thing turns out to be your best seller. And your main buyers are all those YA kids.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't mind my stuff getting pirated. And if it's erotica more the better. The genre gets zero effort from me but many times the pay out whenever I throw another line in the water.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Dalya said:
Challenge accepted!

YES! You HAVE to post it when it's published!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts