Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing my first ever countdown on Kindle Select for my first Indie novel (SBR) and so far, first day, I have 155 sales (that's despite Amazon UK being down). I think that's pretty good but I do not have the Kindle Sales Rank calculator, I expect it should get me close to the top 100 in a few non-countdown categories. So a couple questions:

1, Can someone tell me roughly the number of books sold/borrowed to get me into the top 100 in Romance, or even Romantic Comedy (regular lists not countdown)?
2. Lets say I fall close to that (top 100) but a little short, would doing a little better tomorrow do the trick? I have more promotions planned, including one with OHFB tomorrow
3. Anyone have advice on how to handle the latter days when I have fewer promos going and also after the price goes back up?

Thanks in  advance,
Charlotte Hughes

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Wow, 155 is really a good day's work! Well done. Sorry, I can't answer your questions, but I don't think anyone can say for certain how many sales are needed for any specific position. It varies according to what else is going on. But with sales like that, you should pour the beverage of choice and sit back to await a stellar ranking.  ;D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the congratulations Michael and Pauline, looks like I am going well over 200.. however down side is I am going to have to do the obsessive looking thingy...

I will try not to post it here more than once or twice more today.

I think some of it is coming from my email list, when I told them I was doing this promo in celebration of my bad boy novel coming out, I guess it got any that hadn't read it off their duffs...now can I ever get them to pay full price again? (for this, or for my other books for that matter)

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Hi, Charlotte--

Congrats on your Countdown!

Romance is at least half of all Amazon, rankings-wise. That is, if it takes, say, 1500 sales to get into the overall Top 100 (which will depend greatly on the time of year and so forth), it takes at least 750 sales to get into the Top 100 in Romance, and almost that many to get into the Top 100 in Contemp Romance, because it's such a gigantic subcategory. It's a hard genre to chart in, for sure. (I could have that percentage a bit off, but I'm not that far off.)

Romantic Comedy will take many fewer sales, but I don't know the number.

And yes, doing better tomorrow will help move your ranking. Amazon's algorithms favor upward movement over days.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the support everyone. So far, with about 320 sales I am:

#802 overall in paid Kindle

#8 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Romance
#50 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Romantic Comedy
#55 in Books > Romance > Romantic Comedy

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rosalind James said:
Hi, Charlotte--

Congrats on your Countdown!

Romance is at least half of all Amazon, rankings-wise. That is, if it takes, say, 1500 sales to get into the overall Top 100 (which will depend greatly on the time of year and so forth), it takes at least 750 sales to get into the Top 100 in Romance, and almost that many to get into the Top 100 in Contemp Romance, because it's such a gigantic subcategory. It's a hard genre to chart in, for sure. (I could have that percentage a bit off, but I'm not that far off.)

Romantic Comedy will take many fewer sales, but I don't know the number.

And yes, doing better tomorrow will help move your ranking. Amazon's algorithms favor upward movement over days.
By 8 am, with yesterday's sales at about 390 (negligible so far today), was doing good (best by far as an indie):

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #382 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#5 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Romance
#27 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Romance
#28 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Romantic Comedy

This all reminds me of when I was promoting with the traditional publishers and they would rent space at the front of the book store. Pretty good for no Bookbub (declined) or ENT, (had used in an earlier promotion)I've got to give some credit to FKBT and BargainBooksey as well as some of the smaller guys whom I had lined up to fill the Bookbub void.

Today I have OHFB and a few others to see if I can move a little further up front of the store...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may have spoken too soon, OHFB may have forgotten me today. Has anyone gotten a newsletter from them today, and if so is See Bride Run! in it?

I got into the 300's overnight but am slipping back because some of my bigger promotions seem to have gotten lost, still I know I should be happy with these numbers.
I actually had today more booked than yesterday, but a few of my smaller ones came through.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
OHFB's newsletter should be showing up in a few minutes--it's always after 4PM PST. They didn't forget about you--your book was in their earlier FB posting, so it'll be in the newsletter, too. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts