Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my first flight with my Kindle 2.  The woman sitting next to me was ooohing and aaaahing over it!  She had me show her all of the different features, and told her husband that she had to have one.  Has anyone else had a similar experience on a flight?  I wonder if I'll have a similar experience on my flight home?!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I recently few with my K1 - it is wonderful 9especially with long layovers). On thre different flights/segemnts i had people next to me ask about it/admire it. one segment the flight attentendant was wanting to see it and ask about it. On one layover, the bartended and a couple next to me at the bar was asking me about it.

Was funny when one flight attendent when it came time to turn of electronic devices) called it "my electronic reading device"....

·
Registered
37 Posts
One of the main reasons I got the Kindle was to cut down on the number of books I carry on trips.  I fly very often and I'd say that I get questions about the Kindle on at least half of the flights.  If I could get a commission, I think I'd almost break even on my books purchases!  People really do seem enthusiastic about Kindles as soon as they see them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been on 6 planes since Monday.  No one has said anything, but I have seen a lot of people looking.  Quite a few double takes, like, "what was that thing"?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently took my K2 on trip to see some family members. On the way down I had a gentlemen next to me admiring it, asking questions and looking sadly at the massive oversized book he lugged onto the plane with him. That 3 hour portion of the flight was easily eaten up by showing off my newest toy.

Sadly the return trip wasn't as pleasant. While waiting for my flight I had one guy leaning over my shoulder so far that he may as well of been holding my K2 himself. Never once did he ask me anything about it. He just invaded my personal space for a good 20 minutes. On the final leg of my return trip the woman next to me fell asleep and knocked her drink down my leg and almost all over the screen of my K2. At that point I decided it was best to put it away and try to sleep the rest of the flight home with a soggy leg and a sneaker full of soda.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Everytime that I fly with my Kindle I get questions and a lot of interest. My husband borrowed it from me while I was using my PSP and he didn't get 2 pages read before he was getting asked questions. At that point he handed the Kindle and the conversation over to me LOL.

But it is not restricted to airports for sure. I take my Kindle almost everywhere with me and rarely do I sit down in a waiting room or a lobby and not get asked questions about it. As a confirmed Kindleaholic I am always eager to answer the questions, but sometimes when I am in the last few pages of the book...

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
When I was returning from a trip a week ago, I was on the Rental Car bus and there sat another traveler with a Kindle. That was my first time seeing someone else with one. I was eating lunch before my flight and I had someone come up and ask me about the Kindle and then on the plane the passenger next to me saw it and wanted a demo. I have been asked about it a couple of times before, but it does seem that since the K2 has come out more people realize what it is.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Kathy said:
When I was returning from a trip a week ago, I was on the Rental Car bus and there sat another traveler with a Kindle. That was my first time seeing someone else with one. I was eating lunch before my flight and I had someone come up and ask me about the Kindle and then on the plane the passenger next to me saw it and wanted a demo. I have been asked about it a couple of times before, but it does seem that since the K2 has come out more people realize what it is.
There is so much publicity around the K2 launch that there is much more awareness about the Kindle. I have one of my Google feeds keyed on the Kindle and ther are still new articles throughout the day.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I've been on about a dozen flights since I got my Kindle and so far, no one has asked me anything. I was on a flight to Germany last fall and the man in the seat in front of me had a Kindle. That's one of the few times I've seen one "in the wild." I didn't talk to him, though. It was a night flight and all the people around us were trying to sleep so it wasn't a good time to try to start a conversation.

L

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been on 4 flights since getting my Kindle in Nov and every time the person next to me has asked if that was a book I was reading. On a side note, I have continuued reading after the "annoucement" and never once have the flight attendants said anything.

T

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dang, I think my K2 is defective.  I've leapt off the roof with it several times and I still haven't taken flight with it!

Maybe I need to jump off something higher?  :p

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Tritryst said:
I have been on 4 flights since getting my Kindle in Nov and every time the person next to me has asked if that was a book I was reading. On a side note, I have continuued reading after the "annoucement" and never once have the flight attendants said anything.

T
I have been on several flights and have been asked to turn it off about 1/2 of the time. Since I've put the DecalGirl skin on it and Oberon cover, I haven't been asked. Maybe it looks more like a book with the cover and skin?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Actually, I think one should be happy that nobody asks you about it sometimes. Let them ooh and ahhh all they want, but, please, don't interrupt my reading!! Sorry, I know that's rude, but, yesterday (not in a plane), I was at Quiznos eating my meatball Sub and reading from my Kindle 2 when, all of a sudden, some dude decides to interrupt my reading. I was on a very good part in Pillars of The Earth, and, somehow, he took pleasure interrupting my read, and asked, "Hey, what's that?" I responded politely, and then he said, "Eh, I'm not into that E-book stuff. Hey, Charlie! Have you heard of that thing, Kindle? You're all about that IT stuff." At that moment, I wanted to "stuff" my fist in his face, but all I gave was a simple smirk. His partner responds with, "Yeah..." There was no sense of interest in the IT guys visage. And that was that!

Boy, was I mad. :mad:

Sorry, it wasn't an on-the-flight Kindle experience, but it was an absolutely annoying at-Quiznos-eating-my-sandwich-reading Pillars of the Earth-and-being-Interrupted-by-an-airhead moment.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
ElLector said:
Sorry, it wasn't an on-the-flight Kindle experience, but it was an absolutely annoying at-Quiznos-eating-my-sandwich-reading Pillars of the Earth-and-being-Interrupted-by-an-airhead moment.
You'd think if they're going to interrupt you they'd at least have the courtesy to be interested. . . .LOL!

Ann

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
hmm...play with the Kindle on the flight or mess around with the touch screen tv right in front of you.  8) 8)

·
Registered
71 Posts
People seem really interested in the Kindle on planes.  I have had several flight attendants ask about it.  I'm thinking that they could really benefit because of the weight.  I turn the Kindle off during takeoff because it has "an on/off switch."  I, of course, leave the Whispernet off for the entire flight.  There have been no issues about using the device in flight (at cruising altitude).  I now have a K2, but when I had the first version, I could have sold a dozen of them on planes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts