Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've talked about current occupations, but what was your first paying job?
When I was 13 I would go to work during the summer and on weekends with my godmother at a dog grooming shop. I would help bathe and brush the dogs. It was fun. My first job with taxes...I worked in an indoor amusement park, hostessing birthday parties!
What about you?

·
Registered
904 Posts
When I was 13 I took a job it the fields with immigrant workers.  I picked vegetables all day.  The job lasted 1 whole day.  My next job started at 16....
jp

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My first job was when I was 14.  I worked in the late spring, summer, and early fall at a drive-in theater.  I worked in the concession stand.  I did that for three summers before I got a year round job. 
deb

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I was a baby sitter extraordinaire starting when I was 13 and doing that for years. I actually babysat much longer than many of my friends and I think because I was older, parents trusted me with fairly little babies. Plus, I had my license so I could drive myself so the parents didn't have to worry about driving me home, which was a plus for them.

My first "real" job was at McDonald's. I was 17 when I started working there and stayed for about 6 months. The manager wanted to send me to Hamburger U but I politely declined because I wanted to go to a real U, which I did. ;D

L

·
Registered
921 Posts
My first job that actually gave me some money was when I was 13-------I cut grass around the neighborhood.  I was money hungry and had lot of yards that I cut every week.  That paid for a lot of things I wanted when I was that age.  The first job I had the started taking taxes out of my check was when I was 16 and I worked in a shopping mall.  I picked up trash around the mall.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
My first job was selling watermelons at a stand with my cousin, Michael. We were both 11 years old. My Uncle owned a gas station on a busy highway leading to a lake. He also owned a farm and raised vegetables. He always let put in a watermelon patch. We did that until we were about 16.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
My first job at 16 was selling donuts.  This shop had the best homemade donuts!  Since then I couldn't eat a  mediocre donut (dunkin donuts, grocery store donuts) until Krispy Kreme came along.  Even with Krisy Kreme they have to come right off the donut line. 
The second best part of my first job was trading a pound of french fries for a dozen donuts with the Henry's Hamburger's across the street.  I'm not sure how I didn't gain weight...oh to be young again!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Mowed grass for money when I was 13 to 15, then got a job bussing tables at a stake house in downtown Wichita. Was in the big money then! $1.75 an hour with tips from the the wait staff if I kept their tables clear quickly. Wow, some weeks I brought home $30! My first aircraft job was at Cessna in 1973. They paid the whopping figure of $2.445 an hour. I was making $2.50 at the job before, but aircraft had and paid overtime! (Yes I meant to type that half cent, Cessna was famous for paying that way. Figured over twenty thousand workers, that ha' penny came to quite a sum in a year.)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Working behind a counter at Woolworths! I HATED it. The next was filing papers which wasn't anywhere as bad as Woolworths.

patrisha

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
You do know that many of our members are thinking, What is Woolworths?  Been worse if you had said Kresses, I guess.

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
My first paying job was getting $7 every summer Saturday to mow the nine greens of our local golf course. Actually, it was a rancher's pasture converted into a makeshift golf course.

I would have done it for free because I got to use a riding lawn tractor. It's how I learned to drive in circles.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
intinst said:
You do know that many of our members are thinking, What is Woolworths? Been worse if you had said Kresses, I guess.
My first "Real Grown Up job" was working in a downtown area...wasn't making a lot of money so I would eat lunch at the worthworth lunch counter....quick, cheap and not bad!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I always had to babysit growing up...probably why I don't have kids! ;D

BUT, my first paid job that the government and state actually got their kick-back from, was working at Rotten Robbie's gas station when I was 15. They didn't have a shirt with my name so I got to wear the manager's shirt who's name was Mark. This was when the attendant pumped gas and actually went out to the customer and exchanged monies. I was known as Mark and they never let me pump their gas. Really easy job!

Mark - oops, I mean...

Sailor

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Leslie said:
I was a baby sitter extraordinaire starting when I was 13 and doing that for years. I actually babysat much longer than many of my friends and I think because I was older, parents trusted me with fairly little babies. Plus, I had my license so I could drive myself so the parents didn't have to worry about driving me home, which was a plus for them.

My first "real" job was at McDonald's. I was 17 when I started working there and stayed for about 6 months.
Me too!

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I worked as a file clerk/phone person in an insurance agent's office when I was 17 (I wasn't allowed a job before then; my Dad's answer every time I brought it up was "School IS your job..." I thought he was terribly mean back then  :D ) I think I stayed there for about 6 months, and quit after the 10th time the boss "forgot" to sign my paycheck.

I then entered the wonderful world of Fast Food with a job at Wendy's. Hated it, but I learned more working there than I did filing and answering phones.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Thumper said:
I worked as a file clerk/phone person in an insurance agent's office when I was 17 (I wasn't allowed a job before then; my Dad's answer every time I brought it up was "School IS your job..." I thought he was terribly mean back then :D )
My parents had the same attitude and I've done the same with my children. As I am fond of saying, once you start working, you'll be working for the rest of your life, so it's nice to put if off as long as possible.

L

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Thumper said:
I worked as a file clerk/phone person in an insurance agent's office when I was 17 (I wasn't allowed a job before then; my Dad's answer every time I brought it up was "School IS your job..." I thought he was terribly mean back then :D ) I think I stayed there for about 6 months, and quit after the 10th time the boss "forgot" to sign my paycheck.

I then entered the wonderful world of Fast Food with a job at Wendy's. Hated it, but I learned more working there than I did filing and answering phones.
I can steal half of this post! :D I worked as a file clerk for an insurance company when I was 17 (I wasn't allowed a job before then; I was in the U.S. on a visa that allowed me in as a dependent of my father's and did not permit dependents to work at all. Went back to Germany at 16 after finishing HS and got my first job there.) Quit after about six months, as soon as I decently could, because it was boring and didn't pay very well. :p

Then had a (thankfully also short-lived) job as a waitress in one of those eat-in movie theatres. Hated it. Learned a lot about human nature. But that was probably the worst job I've ever had.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
First job (outside of a few babysitting gigs) was as a cook at the local Burger Chef. That lasted about 1 week before I quit. I had a summer job the next year as a grill cook at a local family restaurant. It wasn't quite as bad as the Burger Chef job, plus I was more motivated to make the money, so I stayed with it until it was time to go to college in the autumn.

After college, my first full-time job was as a sales clerk in a music store (records and tapes, stereos, and guitars). That lasted about 3 years until I got a job as a text editor at a typesetting company for a big pay raise up to $5.00/hour. ;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.