Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
I write YA contemporary this way and have been successful. Ironically, my editor on my next novel is the same editor of the Hunger Games. LOL.

·
Registered
409 Posts
All of the above.

Also, I've had some moderate success with my FPPT book, You Are Mine. I think it depends on how you write and the market, but the possibility of doing well is definitely there.

·
Registered
344 Posts
FPPT... I don't want to ruffle any feathers, because everyone's taste's are different, but there's no quicker way to turn me away as a reader than FPPT. I will simply not read anything written in FPPT. It's 70-80k separate instances of nails on a chalkboard for me.

W

·
0 Posts
Craig Andrews said:
FPPT... I don't want to ruffle any feathers, because everyone's taste's are different, but there's no quicker way to turn me away as a reader than FPPT. I will simply not read anything written in FPPT. It's 70-80k separate instances of nails on a chalkboard for me.
That's neither here nor there though. You're probably not the target audience for this type of narrative. So what? There are plenty of readers (especially in romance and YA) who love it.

To the OP, check popular books in your genre. That's where you will find the answer to your question. For what it's worth, my bestselling series is written in FPPT.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Probably one of my favorite series of all time, the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown, is first person present tense. The way he writes, it feels like the story is unfolding right around you. You experience all the protagonist's emotions along with him.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Joseph John said:
I'm the opposite. FPPT all the way. Anything else and I'm all like, ugh, what is this rubbish?
This for real?

I mean, I can understand somebody hating a specific person/tense combination, I myself tend to find FPPT jarring (but not FPPaT, as it works great in some categories - particularly YA.) But hating everything but a specific, rather niche tense? Please tell me you jest :p

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tizzy said:
This for real?

I mean, I can understand somebody hating a specific person/tense combination, I myself tend to find FPPT jarring (but not FPPaT, as it works great in some categories - particularly YA.) But hating everything but a specific, rather niche tense? Please tell me you jest :p
I jest. It seems that online sarcasm is still broken. :)

But in all seriousness, there are a ton of examples of authors who have done very well with FPPT. And there are a ton of examples of authors who have done very well with other tenses and POVs. What really matters is, what works best for you?

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Are you looking at the charts? There are tons of first person present books doing well.

It's the only way I write. It's very common in all genres of romance, though it is most common in new adult and erotic romance than in the more tradpub/BookBub style contemporary romance.

Of course, YA has tons of first person present as well.

I vastly prefer FPPT to any other combo as a reader and as an author.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
It's pretty mainstream these days, especially in the aforementioned genres. It's amusing to see the way trends shift over time - I remember when I wrote Dead(ish) back in the dark ages, FPPT was a lot less popular. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
In a few months I should know. I had no intention to do so but when I opened a doc and started writing, out it came. And I'm not writing a YA novel but a historical about Alexander the Great in Persia.

·
Registered
605 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Joseph John said:
But in all seriousness, there are a ton of examples of authors who have done very well with FPPT.
There may be a ton of authors who've done well with FPPT, success wise. That doesn't mean they've actually mastered writing in FPPT. Almost no one can use it effectively. The vast majority (of the samples I've read, 95% at least) can't.

Yes, it's popular in some genres and subgenres. That doesn't mean you should jump off the bridge with the rest of the pack.

·
Registered
309 Posts
First person or third person, present or past tense are the most common combinations. I wouldn't say the choice is invisible, but none of them feels better than the others. They're all good. If you want to go into second person or future tense, just make sure it's meaningful. There's an impression that no one ever does second person... but the reality is that the slush I've read has a good amount of it done poorly. "Do we publish work done in second person?" -- "Yes, did you find a good piece?" -- "Well, no, not a good piece."

But that's more of a literary problem. First person and third person should be invisible =]

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Present tense is like nails on a chalkboard to me, but I have read some stories where it wasn't like reading a daily diary entry. It really depends on the quality of the writing. What's weird though, is I made my character's dreams all present tense and had no problem. In fact, it flowed a little too well back into the normal section of the story and I had to go back and fix it to past once I realized what I'd done.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts