Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having published five books under another pen-name through a publisher, I thought I'd share my reasons for believing self-pubbing through Kindle really does ROCK.

1. IF YOUR BOOK SUCKS, IT'S NOBODY'S FAULT BUT YOUR OWN.
One of my most frustrating experiences as a writer was when I had to change the ending of one of my novels, making my heroine choose a path that I didn't believe was right for her. I felt the ending sucked, but what was I to do? Pull my book and not finish out the series?

2. KNOW HOW YOUR BOOK IS SELLING FROM DAY TO DAY, SO YOU CAN ADJUST YOUR MARKETING STRATEGY. If you only get royalty reports every month, quarter or (gasp) year, you won't know if your marketing has paid off and you may miss a lot of potential sales. On the downside, we Kindlers can get a little obsessive with checking our earnings. Guilty as charged!

3. IF YOUR COVER SUCKS, IT'S YOUR FAULT, TOO.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What the heck? My computer went wacko and sent my post before I finished. It's possessed!!!!

3. IF YOUR COVER SUCKS, IT'S YOUR FAULT, TOO. That's right. You have to power to shop for artists. Though artwork may be costly, that's one of the downsides of self-pubbing, but, IMHO, it beats having a publisher tell me 'too bad, so sad' if I don't like my cover.

4. YOU DECIDE WHEN THE BOOK IS RELEASED. And you don't need to wait a year after you've finished the book for it to come out. I've had readers email me after a book was released asking me questions about my heroine's motivation, etc... I honestly forgot what happened in the novel. I was too wrapped up in my upcoming release.

5. BACK TO NUMBER ONE - IF YOUR BOOK SUCKS....YOU CAN FIX IT!!! That's right. You've learned a little bit more about the craft of writing since pubbing that bomb a few months ago. Your plot had more holes than FLABIO'S underwear after a spicy chili eating contest.  So go pull the darned thing, fill in those holes and upload it again. That's the magic of self-pubbing through Kindle! PJ

·
Registered
46 Posts
So agree with you.

But here is one more for the list.

6.  If the book doesn't "sell enough" in the first six weeks, no one is going to yank it from the books stores, killing any chance of the book becoming a success.

M. Louisa Locke,
author of self-published Maids of Misfortune: A Victorian San Francisco Mystery

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I say YES on all five counts! :)

I have not worked with actual publishers other than anthologies but I do like having control.  I have NOTHING against traditional publishing - and I personally hate the "rift" between indies and trad publishing... but anywho... the control is important.

But I will say... *cough cough*... there was an antholoy from a bigger publisher I was in due out a year ago... it's still not out and just yesterday they emailed me saying I'll get paid for my story "soon" and they apologize for the delay.

I could have uploaded the story in a book of my own and sold X amount of copies already...

-jb 8)

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
7 ) Whenever you want to have a meeting between the author, artist, editor and publisher, you only have to order food for one.
8 ) Two words:  Ebook Groupies
9 ) Splurging on the Big Bucket at KFC when those royalty payments arrive.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate the rift between trad pubs and self-pubs, too. I remember a similar rift in the romance community several years ago between the erotic authors and traditional authors. Now, everyone has jumped on the ero bandwagon. I have a lot of friends who are traditionally pubbed rooting for ROMANCE NOVEL to do well. My crit partners are traditionally pubbed and they felt my frustration in trying to get NY to accept this book for almost two years. I think it was too trashy for them. Now that I've self-pubbed, I wish I would have tried it two years ago.

LOUISA, I really like your reason #6! So true! My publisher pulled their entire YA romance line. We were all left stranded, and many of us with unfinished series. I don't have to worry about that here. PJ

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Swolf! I was able to get a big bucket and two sides this month! Finger licken' good!

I really like your extra reasons. Now we have nine! Anyone else have more? PJ

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
swolf said:
7 ) Whenever you want to have a meeting between the author, artist, editor and publisher, you only have to order food for one.
8 ) Two words: Ebook Groupies
9 ) Splurging on the Big Bucket at KFC when those royalty payments arrive.
This is funny! I would add, not having to listen respectfully to some very young junior editor or intern tell you how you should consider writing in the genres that are 'hot' and maybe even tone yours down and make it JA, or some other such crap.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul, I remember one such editor about six years ago standing in front of a packed writers' conference and telling us that historical and chick-lit romances were 'dead'.  It totally sucked to be a historical or chick-lit author at that conference. At the time, self-pubbing was too costly and risky. I've seen some historical and chick-lit ebooks here doing very well, so I guess that editor was WRONG! PJ

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dr. Dln, my holistic MD said I need to breathe better. I'm downloading your book and sharing the Amazon link with my thyroid support group. Thanks! PJ

1 - 20 of 44 Posts