Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I read that gaming music is designed for concentration so if you're having trouble focusing playing it will help you stay in the zone. I tried it and it really worked on a day when my husband was home because the heating in his office is broken, the son was home recovering from gastroenteritis, and my daughter is home with some other weird virus. I still had a pretty good writing day--and my downstairs neighbor is remodeling too!

Anyway, I listened to Skyrim's soundtrack. Worked great.

I don't have time to be a gamer (kids, part-time job, writing, you get the picture) ...

For those of you who do game ... have you tried this? Do you have any favorite soundtracks?

Here is a link to the post I read: http://warsawmouse.tumblr.com/post/113964912016/candyskies-warchirf-petepaintswarhammer

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Any recommendations? I don't play video games at all, and have no clue. I'm about to start writing right now. (see? I'm here instead--really need to focus!)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The Skyrim music is beautiful and you can find up to 10 hour loops of it on YouTube.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
MyraScott said:
The Skyrim music is beautiful and you can find up to 10 hour loops of it on YouTube.
Thanks! I'll take a listen. I found a good playlist on Prime of music by John Williams soundtracks. They tend to evoke a lot of emotion. Not sure if I should have that or not since if I'm writing action, it might suddenly turn to tragedy based on the music's influence.

I often listen to music by Explosions in the Sky while writing, and that's great too, but I didn't feel like listening to it tonight. Although, now that I'm thinking of it, Your Hand in Mine would be nice to hear for the upcoming scene I have planned.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used to listen to music from my favorite games all the time. I'm not sure if the tunes increased my focus or not. Perhaps I should try again and find out!

I prefer older game soundtracks from the Super Nintendo era.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
MaryMcDonald said:
Any recommendations? I don't play video games at all, and have no clue. I'm about to start writing right now. (see? I'm here instead--really need to focus!)
Dragon Age Inquisition's soundtrack is stellar. Gorgeous. Sexy. Angry. Quiet. Vast. Sexy. Did I mention sexy?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I've definitely listened to a lot of gaming soundtracks (including Skyrim) while writing/editing/working. I find that other sources of instrumental music work well also. Just about anything without lyrics, within reason, seems to do the trick. Recently I edited a novel listening to a Karaoke version of Tool's Lateralus album. I also have a few 'epic music playlists' that I use often. Two Steps From Hell have some great ones (look on YouTube).

And of course I use rainymood.com on a near daily basis, but that's a bit different. :p

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
If you're wanting game soundtracks specifically, anything composed by Jeremy Soule is quite good. Skyrim, Oblivion, and he did a Star Wars game score too--I think it was Knights of the Old Republic.

I listen to a lot of movie and television scores too. Really helps to evoke a specific mood when writing a genre piece.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
All the Elder Scrolls games have good music. I like the old Halo music too, although it might be too intense for writing quiet scenes. And a lot of music by John Williams would be good to write to.

·
Registered
100 Posts
As a massive fan of the Halo games, I've often listened to the soundtracks of them. Deus Ex: Human Revolution has some good music as well.

The track called Lorna's Pass from Guild War 2 is beautiful:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I listen to various epic music, like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuS27il9LAs

With the right levels of caffein, I can type 1000 words in 45 minutes listening to this
(but with approximately 50% of the word misspelled, but nevermind... :)

For darker parts of my story I've recently found the Penny Dreadful soundtrack
by the insanely talented Abel Korzeniowsk. It makes the inner critic distracted and
it's an immensely beautiful soundtrack.

Happy writing everyone!

·
Registered
262 Posts
One I personally find occasionally helpful is the Shadow of Israphel soundtrack. It's a custom soundtrack for someone's Minecraft series, and it's amazing.

G

·
Fallout has some super good music like 'I don't want to set the world on fire' by The Ink Spots. Works for me. However, it's hard to find proper quality tracks for most of the music.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts