Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I can't say I expect it, I hope they give us some info on folders. Will there be an update for older Kindles. Of course I don't even know that K2 will have them, but if not there must be some big hardware problem with indexing. Amazon knows everyone wants folders or some form of indexing, and if it isn't at least in K2, then we may never get them.

Steve

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I don't really see what problem there would be with folders and indexing....  if you subscribe to a paper or magazine you essentially get a folder for that subscription.  It shows up on the home page with an open rectangle to the right of it instead of the solid rectangle next to books.  Clicking on the item then shows up a list of the issues in that subscription that are available to you.  Seems like a folder to me, just one created by the system.  Not sure why a user defined folder would be that much harder to deal with....

Of course, perhaps it's more like the header fields I used to create for database print outs...

Betsy

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I don't really see what problem there would be with folders and indexing.... if you subscribe to a paper or magazine you essentially get a folder for that subscription. It shows up on the home page with an open rectangle to the right of it instead of the solid rectangle next to books. Clicking on the item then shows up a list of the issues in that subscription that are available to you. Seems like a folder to me, just one created by the system. Not sure why a user defined folder would be that much harder to deal with....
The periodical "folder" is actually a feature in the Mobipocket program. You can actually create this for your (non-amazon) books, but it seems like a complicated process, and I haven't actually tried it yet. Anyway, it's not the same thing as creating a folder on the system. I think they kind of inherited the Mobipocket stuff when they acquired the company and now have to figure out how to work within it (not that easy), or rewrite the whole thing. Personally, I'd prefer to be able to "tag" my books and sort and filter with the tags. That seems like it would be somewhat easier to implement, but I don't really know. I've never done a project like that myself.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It is my understanding that the "folder"-type representation of newspapers is just a user interface, and not physical folders at all.

However, the Kindle runs Linux, and Linux certainly supports directories (folders in Windows-speak).  Due to the narrowness of the screen, representing folders hierarchically might be a problem, if they allowed multiple levels.  What I mean, is that if you have directories 3 or 4 levels deep, the indentation and names would soon run off of the right-hand of the screen.  Showing only the previous level (to keep the indentation to a minimum) might cause confusion.  People would end up calling Kindle Support because they had thought they'd lost some files.  If you showed just the directory name on one line, and tried to compress it that way, it still might be tricky.  I would have to really think about how to present multiple levels through the user interface to make it easy to use and understandable to all users.  Those are the reasons I can think of that they may not have done it yet.

When I first got my Kindle, I wished for folders, but now I don't even think about it.  I have 10 or 11 pages of stuff on the Kindle to be read (Home Page).  When I get through with a book, I just delete it.  It is backed up at Amazon or on my pc, if I downloaded it from some place other than Amazon. I feel no need to keep my entire library on the Kindle at all times.

But, that's me.  :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Personally, I don't understand the big deal of folders. It might be a nice feature, but I have no idea why people make it out to be life or death. Same with the SD card slot. If K2 has it, great. But if it doesn't, why does it matter? If the K2 scrapped the SD card, I'm sure it has quite a bit more internal memory. Think about the people who don't understand what an SD card is, or how it works? Or where to get one?

Not only that but if someone got an SDHC card instead of an SD card, for the K1, and/or got more then a 4GB card it can cause freezing/indexing issues with the Kindle. But in the K2, if there is no SD card, no one has to worry about that problem anymore. From the pictures that have leaked, the K2 looks real nice. Real sexy. I guess we'll find out Monday what really exists, and what doesn't. However, I wouldn't at all be upset if there was no SD card slot, or no folders options.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I want to be able to sort my books into genre types just like I do my DTB on my bookshelf. Folders would allow me to create an organizational system that makes sense to me and not have to scroll through pages of books looking for what I want or have to do a search.

Think of folders as a version of the IPod playlist. Playlists are a collection of music that already exists on your IPod. But they allow you to put the music in that you like in an order that you like.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
I bet it'll come as a software update, and not necessarily at the same time as a new hardware model is released.

·
Registered
364 Posts
AcBush said:
Personally, I don't understand the big deal of folders. It might be a nice feature, but I have no idea why people make it out to be life or death.
Well, right now I have 325 books -- and counting! -- on my Kindle. I have no way to mark which ones I've read and no way to categorize them. Sorting 325+ books by only author name or title is very cumbersome.

Sharyn

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think if Amazon was interested in what we the Kindle Users want they would have made the necessary software changes by now.  Just how difficult an update could folders be?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I'm with Sharyn - I don't necessarily want folders, just some way to move read books to another place that does not show on my home page unless I ask it to.  Some of the sorts by author don't work if you have to get Amazon to translate free books as it will show the author as your e-mail name.

·
Registered
788 Posts
In addition to folders, I would love an option that allowed you to hide samples, or show only samples.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Harvey said:
I bet it'll come as a software update, and not necessarily at the same time as a new hardware model is released.
I hope you're right Harvey, but I doubt it. Folders was high up on everyone's want list. I think if they could do it they would have done it for the K2 intro. There must be some technical problem in getting the Kindle to have user defined folders. I can't believe if it was just software that they wouldn't have implemented it yet.

Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm going to bump this again because I want folders on my Kindle. Really, really want folders. Heck, the people over at Ubnutu can update an entire version of their Linux OS in less time than Kindle owners have been asking for folders - what's the hold up? I mean, Amazon has some really talented programmers - why aren't they implementing something as simple as this ???

</RANT OFF>

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I would like folders. I do either move or delete books I've read off the Kindle, but I'm adding books faster than I can read them.

(Also there was a post about SD cards that mentioned cards over 4GB causing problems.  I have a 16GB SD card in Eleanor the Kindle and have had no problems.  It did take awhile for the Kindle to move things over....)

Betsy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts