1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leslie said:
Classic.

(Isn't the plural of Oreo, Oreoes?)
I'm not sure what bothers me more, the apostrophe or the idea of deep fried oreos (or oreo's)

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I'm not sure what bothers me more, the apostrophe or the idea of deep fried oreos (or oreo's)

Betsy
Apparently, they are a staple at state and county fairs in certain regions of the country. I've never had one, though.

L

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:

Betsy
In a moment of (increased) insanity I tried one once. The taste wasn't as bad as expected, but the artificial flavorings were not hidden by the vast amounts of grease.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, this is too good a topic to pass up.  Mods, let's split out the recent gross food posts and start a new thread!  Can't wait to hear more about foods that should NOT have been deep fried.  We can start with mine that quote's Leslie oreo's post and leave that one in the Grammar Pet Peeves?

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, we're not talking about health considerations here, Susan, just taste!!!!

So far, twinkies and oreos.  Who knew?  I just knew about mushrooms and zucchini. and Mozzerella.

Personally, I never got into the deep fried turkey thing, either.

Betsy

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
How about... wait for it...chocolate covered deep fried bacon? A treat at the Arkansas state fair last fall. No, I did not try it.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Oh, we deep fry the turkey at Thanksgiving. It's easy and quick.

I've never had this but supposedly it's popular out west, in places like Wyoming: deep fried pickles.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Here in New England, we don't have fried oreos or fried pickles, but fried dough is extremely popular at fairs and ball games.

L

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Even though I have never deep fried a turkey.  I am here to tell you that, done right, they are goooood.  As usual the key factor is clean quality oil.  And a completely (and I do mean completely) thawed and not-wet turkey.  Even so it should only be done outdoors away from houses or overhanging tree limbs.
We have a fellow at our church who usually does about 15 or so for a church-wide sit down.  And other people bring their birds and ask him to do theirs also.  In quantity they can be reasonalbe in price to cook.
But afterwards, people get strange and bring out the twinkies.
Just sayin....

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My husband HAD to have a Deep Fried Snickers bar last time we went to the fair. He made me try a bite, not bad, but not good either. I went and got a Strawberry shortcake wih fresh berries and homemade ice cream. Yummy!
This was at the Jacksonville Fair, but I have seen these at the San Diego County Fair too!

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
OK, we're not talking about health considerations here, Susan, just taste!!!!

So far, twinkies and oreos. Who knew? I just knew about mushrooms and zucchini. and Mozzerella.

Personally, I never got into the deep fried turkey thing, either.

Betsy
Deep-fried zucchini is nice if you slice it as thinly as potato chips, and then salt after deep-frying... you end up with zucchini chips! (since you said health wasn't a consideration here...)

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Recipe for deep fried Oreos:
http://www.recipezaar.com/Deep-Fried-Oreos-42152

From the recipe:
"I had these at a local county fair and just had to try to make them. They are delicious.You can substitute your favorite dry pancake mix for the Bisquick. They are best when eaten warm. If you are want to try a lighter version, use lowfat milk, canola oil, and reduced fat Oreos."

52 cookies (change servings and units)

Ingredients

* 1 (20 ounce) package Oreo cookies
* 2 cups Bisquick
* 2 eggs
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 3 teaspoons oil
* vegetable oil (enough for deep frying)

Directions

1. Blend Bisquick, eggs, milk, and 3 tsp oil until smooth.
2. Preheat your deep fryer to about 375°F (use a thermometer if you wish to deep fry in a pan).
3. Dip the cookies in the batter mixture until totally covered and then place in the hot oil (cookies will float).
4. Keep checking and turn over the cookie when bottom side of Oreo is brown.
5. Keep a close watch because it only takes a short time to brown.
6. Remove cookies and eat warm.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Susan in VA said:
Deep-fried zucchini is nice if you slice it as thinly as potato chips, and then salt after deep-frying... you end up with zucchini chips! (since you said health wasn't a consideration here...)
But that sounds good! Off-topic!!!! That goes in the recipe thread which is around here somewhere... ;D

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MAGreen said:
My husband HAD to have a Deep Fried Snickers bar last time we went to the fair. He made me try a bite, not bad, but not good either. I went and got a Strawberry shortcake wih fresh berries and homemade ice cream. Yummy!
OK, I think we also need to know what part of the country these items are found in....

Betsy

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Recipe for deep fried Oreos:
I note that you didn't bother posting the nutrition/calorie information on this... assuming the original even thought it worth mentioning :D

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
But that sounds good! Off-topic!!!! That goes in the recipe thread which is around here somewhere... ;D

Betsy
Oooops! I wondered how long I'd last here before some mod gave me the evil eye....

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
With the exception of the chocolate bacon, all of the deep fried foods are staples of the Iowa State Fair and I will confess, I absolutely LOVE the deep-fried pickles (we ignore all fat and calorie content for the one day we attend the Fair each year).  We also deep fry a turkey every year for Thanksgiving (fresh peanut oil is the only way to go) and Geoff is right, they are good, good, good.  I think the fried candy bars are disgusting!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts