Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a common food or drink you don't like? There are so many foods I refuse to eat my hubby accuses me of only pretending I don't like them just to be stubborn.  :-X Here's a few:

Oysters
Olives (of both black and green variety)
EggNog
Onions
Sour Kraut
Creamed Spinach
Guacamole
Pimento Cheese
Hot Links
Sardines in Mustard
Shrimp

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Sardines creep me out so I have never tried them.

As a kid I hated peanut butter, corn dogs, and ice cream.  I can tolerate them now but still not my fav.

Hard to come up with what I hate now but I guess blue cheese is at the top.  Especially blue cheese dressing.  Monte Cristo Sammie are pretty gross too.  Oh and French toast.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I can agree on the oysters (raw) & other seafood with similar textures.
Blue cheese in general, but I have one favorite recipe I really like it in.
The rest of these items above are fine with me.

Mine is lamb.  I made a moroccan style lamb stew that made me ill just to smell it - forget trying to eat it or be in the same room with it - worst recipe failure ever (it was the combo of ingredients - the lamb was fine) that ruined me for any lamb forever.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well, let's see:

anything with cabbage in unless the cabbage is raw

sushi because I hate the idea of eating raw fish. And yes, I know most of it doesn't have raw fish in it, but I always think there might be! ::)

guacamole. I have to be honest and say I have never tried it but the color just looks wrong to me...

cottage cheese. I accidentally ate some without knowing what it was and it was OK, a bit bland, but I've never eaten any since then because I hate the way it looks! {Are you seeing a pattern here? LOL}

crab legs. and, again, it's the look of it that gets me. I have no problem with crab in any other form

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hmmm... Actually hate? There are plenty of things I just don't eat (veggie), but not a lot of things I actually hate.

Mushrooms (and allergic)
green bell peppers
peanut butter
eggs
skim milk
sweet pickles
anything that goes "squish" first, *then*goes "crunch" (shrimp, half-cooked cabbage, almond choco-bar, etc)

I used to be able to tolerate eggs, then I spent a month in Africa. For half the time I was on an organized tour, and the only thing they could think to feed me (other than tuna....) was eggs. Every meal. For two weeks. In a region where the average person eats meat maybe once a week. Maybe. The guides and porters and whatnot were chowing down on beans and corn mush, I was starving on fried eggs. Will never knowingly eat them again.

I don't get the guac hate. I prefer my avo's whole, but still....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Almost any kind of seafood (especially shellfish)--I can't stand the texture or the smell.
I used to hate mushrooms but my husband's been putting them in everything recently (he does all the cooking) so it's eat them or starve.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Almost anything cooked in a cafeteria in large, tasteless quantities. (Hospital cafeteria, student cafeteria)

Fried crickets, grasshoppers, & silkworms (you see them everywhere you go in Thailand).

sorry, don't like pretzels either--should be banned from calling itself food.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Unfortunately, most green vegetables range from barely palatable to horrible on my taste buds. Only way I can eat most of them is to cook the crap out of them and mix them in with other ingredients and potent sauces. (I can deal with fresh lettuce on a sandwich with lots of good non-lettuce things, since lettuce just tastes like cardboard to me.)

Interestingly(?), when I took biology in high school, we did a test that checks for a recessive gene where your taste buds do not react to certain chemicals, which typically are important taste elements in many such vegetables. Out of a class of two dozen or so, I and one girl were the only two who just tasted paper when we chewed on the test sample, while everyone else got a strong flavor of some sort. So when I eat many green vegetables, they actually do not taste the same to me as they do to most people, and I'm only picking up what may be background elements to the flavor to others -- often rather nasty sulfur compounds.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Canned beets
Lamb (got a funny flavor to me, it's just too strong I guess)
Goat Cheese (same exact flavor I dislike in lamb)
Bleu Cheese
Milk (wont drink it unless I have to, in stuff like cream sauces or coffee it's ok)
Prunes
Capers (breaks my DH's heart since I won't put them in dishes, it's like adding sweet pickles to sauces just not right)
Sweet pickles (with the exception of relish ONLY in tuna sandwiches)
Not a huge fan of peas but I'll eat them in some foods

Wasn't a huge fan of avocados for the texture but I've gotten past that.  Still can't stand the texture of jello.

Ironically, this thread has made me hungry.....  ::)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Oh - this thread topic is like opening a can of worms for me! I'm an incredibly finicky eater and convinced I'm a Supertaster and that's why so many things taste awful to me. Some of the common foods I won't eat:

Pizza  (hate tomatoes in any form ) except white pizza
Hamburgers  (dislike the texture and taste of most meats, with a few exceptions)
Hotdogs
Bananas (find the smell and texture extremely off-putting)
Any type of seafood whatsoever
Mushrooms (too slimy)
Majority of vegetables, but I do love snow peas!

Plenty more I could list here. I do like many types of grains, fruits, cheeses, and just about all kinds of nuts. I have no trouble coming up with healthy meals I like at home, but it's an ordeal to eat in many restaurants or at someone else's home. I usually eat a light meal at home first so I can honestly say I'm not very hungry, and then just find something light to eat. (hopefully)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
About the only thing I really didn't like was snails and I think that they may not have been cooked right so would be willing to try again. All the stuff I used to hate passed so I really don't have anything I just won't eat. I'm not likely to eat bugs I guess but who knows, I'm pretty adventurous.  :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Don't really hate anything just dislike or won't eat:

snails
frogs legs
mussels (bad allergy)
octopus
squid
fennel (even thought I love Ouzo!)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Oh yes cilantro - VILE! I first encountered that when a fancier restaurant used it to completely ruin mashed potatoes. I mean, how can you ruin something so basic like mashed potatoes? I took one bite, wouldn't take another, and then spent the rest of the meal trying to get that awful taste out of my mouth. I see from your own comment and the link that I'm not alone!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
gdae23 said:
Oh yes cilantro - VILE! I first encountered that when a fancier restaurant used it to completely ruin mashed potatoes. I mean, how can you ruin something so basic like mashed potatoes? I took one bite, wouldn't take another, and then spent the rest of the meal trying to get that awful taste out of my mouth. I see from your own comment and the link that I'm not alone!
Yes, evil, evil stuff. To me it gives anything it's in a metallic taste. I often noticed it in salsa, but didn't know what it was. One day I wanted to try a new recipe and it included fresh cilantro. I bought a bunch and--fortunately--tried a taste before putting it into the mix. After gagging and spitting the stuff out, washing out my mouth with water, juice and, very nearly, battery acid, I shouted out in triumph, "So that's what IT is!" and into the garbage went the bunch. Now I read ingredient lists very carefully.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I can tolerate most tastes, but there's only a few I really hate and will not eat:
Bleu cheese
Lamb
Liver of any kind
Duck

There are things I've never tasted on GP:
Head cheese
Scrapple
Brains

1 - 20 of 32 Posts