Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series and I stumbled across two prequel short stories in the last few days..

Dates From Hell has the story Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil. It tells the story of Ivy's first 6 months working in I.S. It goes into the politics of the vampire world and how Ivy is stuck in an entry level job at the IS. She would have to sleep with her superior, Art, to get ahead. it also stars our favorite vampire Kirsten. Sadly I am not a huge Ivy fan so I wasn't thrilled with the story but the last paragraph is worth the price of the book ;)

Holidays Are Hell has the story Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel. Its a story about how 19 year old Rachel got to get into the I.S. Its Winter Solstice and Rachel has an application to enter the IS but she needs a guardian to sign it (no one under 21 is allowed into the IS without one). Her brother makes her a deal. If she can raise the ghost of her father and he says its OK her brother will sign the form. As usual for Rachel all hell breaks loose. What I liked about the story is how it goes into the childhood 'sickness' of Rachel's. She is still recovering from it so she isn't quite the kick ass girl we all know and love yet.

Anyway I strongly recommend these two prequels to anyone into the Rachel Morgan series.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Thanks! I knew that there were Kim Harrison stories in those books but didi not realize what their story line would be. Will have to read.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thank you for the information on the prequels.  Based on recommendations here and on goodreads.com, yesterday I ordered the 1st 3 in the Rachel Morgan series.  Audible.com has #2 and #3 in audiobook for sale for $4.95 each right now.  Unfortunately, the 1st one was not on sale, but $14 didn't seem bad considering the savings on the others. 

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Now all Kim needs is Jenks' background! I love Jenks!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
As much as I like the series, what bugged me about the first books was how Kim Harrison seemed
kinda cagey about the relationship with Ivy. It was like she played the possibility of romance between the two for titillation and comic relief -- the latter in the sense that it freaked Rachel out that she might be accidentally seduced into "teh gay." It was strange that she was so urban, but a lesbian vampire, or half vamp, wanting her freaked her out unduly. I just got the impression that had it been a male, she would have been in less of a dither.
I don't know if that changed in subsequent books, but it just seemed dated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts