Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Here are some amazing workshops for those who have already finished their eBooks and looking for ways to promote their work and connect with readers.

This one is great for learning how to create a writer's platform, a place where you can connect with readers who will love your book and want to read it! http://bit.ly/KBWW-CWP-10

And this one will help you learn all about email marketing, a great resource for writers and authors looking to find ways to effectively market their books and find new readers via email: http://bit.ly/KBWW-EM-10

Hope they help you, and good luck on your writing, publishing and marketing journeys, all!

Sara

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I'm not alone in not following links like this. I have no idea who you are, what your concern is in these links, nor where they go. There are tons of people out there trying to scam self publishers, or just providing bad advice.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The link brings you to some site called Page Turner Awards.

A bunch of services for authors including writing contest.

Don't know why the poster doesn't clarify this upfront.

Mark

·
Registered
466 Posts
Somebody wanted to be clever and track where their clicks where coming from. Thankfully with bitly there is an easy way to figure those out without them knowing and without danger to you: just add a plus at the end and you will be sent to a bitly page showing you the full link
example:
http://bit.ly/KBWW-CWP-10+

·
Registered
516 Posts
Word choice is a bit suspect. I don't write "eBooks." I just write books and ebook is the name for some of the digital the formats I publish in.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
This poster was plugging agent services yesterday, again with shortened links and no previous posting history. I would approach with caution.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Lydniz said:
This poster was plugging agent services yesterday, again with shortened links and no previous posting history. I would approach with caution.
Ah. Well, with three posts I was suspicious, but didn't want to check post history. I certainly wasn't going to take the time to click on the links, since they could go anywhere. It is certainly wise to be suspicious of new members who seem to post nothing but links, with hidden end points.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Somebody wanted to be clever and track where their clicks where coming from.
I suppose you're right. However, for someone who is new to the forums, it's best to let people get to know you before doing this. Even some information about the links and what they led to would have helped. As is, if this is some form of stealth advertising, they need to be given the welcome for those posting as a business, and behave in a manner that lets people know what's going on without having to question them, or follow blind links.

And as Blerg et al. noted, we write books. Ebooks are simply a format to get those books to readers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone,

Sara here, and I must apologise for not introducing myself and the Page Turner Awards in my original post. I understand now how suspicious that must have seemed with the shortened links, you are all absolutely right! So I thought I would come back and firstly apologise, and then introduce myself.

I work for the Page Turner Awards, a writing awards established this year (by an author) to help both aspiring writers and authors to progress in their writing and their careers. Our inaugural awards for PTA2020 are to take place tonight, with several excellent success stories coming out of it! We are happy to have already changed a few lives for the better, and if you're interested in our 2020 winners or finding out more, keep an eye on https://pageturnerawards.com or our Twitter account, @pageturneraward for updates.

I apologise for posting shortened links before. I can assure you that our workshops are legitimate and really excellent resources for both aspiring and established writers. Here are the full links, and I hope they are helpful to some of you on your journey:

Learn how to create a writers platform: https://pageturnerawards.com/index.php/workshops-for-writers/create-writers-platform-boot-camp

Learn how to market and promote your books via email: https://pageturnerawards.com/index.php/workshops-for-writers/email-marketing-for-authors-and-writers-workshop

Lastly, if anyone is still dubious (and don't want to take my word for it), we have been really happy to have received many excellent testimonials already from our writing community. So, if anyone is interested, please go and have a look at: https://pageturnerawards.com/awards-testimonials

Anyway, hopefully this message will help clarify a few points that I should have made before. Please just ask if you have any other questions about who we are of what we do!

Thanks for reading, and have a lovely day, everyone :)

Sara
PageTurnerAwards

·
Registered
441 Posts
I do have a few questions...

When submitting for a writers' award, my read of the rules states that the judging is based on max 2500-3000 words or ten pages. Am I misreading this?

Secondly, what is not clear is what the judging criteria is for the individual prizes?

What is the difference between a finalist and a short-listed entry?

Mark

P.S. I recall years ago an awards thing called the James Patterson Page Turner awards...

·
Registered
516 Posts
SaraPage said:
Hi everyone,

Sara here, and I must apologise for not introducing myself and the Page Turner Awards in my original post. I understand now how suspicious that must have seemed with the shortened links, you are all absolutely right! So I thought I would come back and firstly apologise, and then introduce myself.
I didn't take offense. But I'm not one of the more active members either.

I think it's great when people who have something useful pop in to drop off some information. But we get a lot of solicitation for things that offer little benefit, so expect people to poke and prod at your offering to see if holds up.

My first step in assessing an awards program is to see if they have an entry on Writer Beware. There are, of course, a number of awards models that go under scrutiny by Writer Beware but come away with an acceptable rating. A lot of programs started by indies for indies have fees to cover costs and work outside of the traditional models and witers are cautioned to watch out for red flags and proceed carefully.

This seems to be a more trad-pub offering. Se expect half the forum to reject it outright. No biggie. IMO the value of the offering would depend a lot on the reputation and track record of the literary agencies and presses involved in the contest and what kind of representation or publishing deal, if any, the entrant is locking themselves into should their book win.

I did a few searches and didn't see an entry for Page Turner Awards. I would actually have been more comfortable with a proceed with caution from Writer Beware. Because then I would know the contest had been around for a while.

I'm seeing a mention on the "about us" section of your webpage that this contest is "sponsored" by Pro Writing Aid" which is a product I trust. I'm not sure to what extent a sponsorship constitutes an endoresement, but it is intriguing.

I found this interview online. [URL=https://www.writermag]https://www.writermag.com/contests/the-page-turner-awards/[/url]

Here's a line from it: Founder of The Page Turner Awards, Paula Wynne said: "When I was searching for awards to enter my novels, I found there was a gap in the market for writing awards that could change a writer's career, so I decided to set up an awards program that gave writers and authors the chance to get discovered."

Here's a line about some of the prizes:

Winners of the Writing Award may receive representation by a literary agent. Winners of the eBook Award will receive a publicity campaign for their book, and the chance to secure film rights for their book. There's also a line-up of valuable writing and authorship prizes for short-listed submission of both awards.

Also this:

The prestigious judging panel boasts publishers and literary agents, and includes Kimberley Atkins, Publisher for Hodder & Stoughton in London, Karly Caserza Literary Agent with Fuse Literary Agency, Susan Mears from Susan Mears Literary & Film Agency and Louise Buckley from the Zeno Agency.

While a lot of people here are put off by the idea of agents, I think the value of the the value of this is dependent on the reputation and track record of those involved. I'm not going to dig into that, at least not today. But I think anyone interested in the awards really should search the names and agencies independently. It could be REALLY cool. Or the opposite.

Further reassurances from the original poser aren't much help beyond this point. People will want to do the work of digging into this themselves before applying. But kudos to Sara for coming back and responding in a constructive way. :)

(Edited to add: I just checked out the testimonials page. Nobody I know on there. There are a LOT of trusted names in the indie author community. However, I don't fault a more traditional-minded UK based awards program for not having an endorsement from any of them. Still, it would go a loooong way if they did.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts