Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if most readers keep every book they purchase loaded on their Kindle Just curious

·
Registered
277 Posts
I do. I know I don't have to but for some reason I do. I would love folders.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I actually did for the first year or so - I had a Klassic Kindle then of course.  Since I started using the K2 I've started deleting them and just letting Amazon keep them for me.  The archive format is a lot simpler on the K2, and they just seem easier to get back if I decide to.  It's also partly I've gotten a little more comfortable with the idea of Amazon keeping the Kindle around for the long term - something you just never know when they're first released.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I do for some reason and I'm not sure why.  I guess it feels more like I have something for the money I spent than if it was on some amazon server somewhere.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't.  I usually get all of the free books, and tend to shop the bargains.  I've found some that after reading, or even after a few pages, I know I'll never finish, or never be desperate enough to read again.  Those I get rid of, its the same with DTB's I keep most, but have no problem getting rid of something that's just not me.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I don't keep all my books on my K2 because I would have way too many pages.  If there was a good way to organize the books I would keep them there.  I also have all my non Amazon books backed up on my computer and on the SD card I used to use on my K1.  Yeah, I'm a little anal.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I keep saying that I am going to. no WN. Its also fun to see all that is available. I have a flight for dentests in the the city I may download a bunch from my shelf. between cleanings and my daughter getting braces I may save for awile.
Sylvia

·
Registered
40 Posts
It would depend on whether the book were one I bought through Amazon or one I got through another source. For those I purchase through Amazon, I can always go back and re-download it, so I have no problem in killing it on Fiona. And if those I get from other sources are archived in Calibre, I can still hook up the USB cable and re-download it from there.

My criteria, is, is this a book that I expect to refer to from time to time or enjoy reading occasionally. For example, I have the works of Shakespeare on Fiona, along with Mark Twain, Moby Dick, and a few others that will stay there just in case I want to revisit a beloved work. It would be neat if someone came out with an encyclopedia - I'd keep that too.

And just in case you are wondering, my count presently is 91 items, two of which are magazines.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
For books I have really enjoyed, I like to go back and re-read passages, so I keep those on my Kindle. Otherwise, I delete them and let Amazon do the keeping.

Books I've bought from other places (not Amazon), I keep on my Kindle. It's easier than storing them on my computer and transferring with the USB.

L

·
Registered
71 Posts
I keep a reading list on my Kindle (via a converted Word document).  After I update my reading list, I tend to remove the books I have read from the Kindle.  Doing so required a "mindset change," but once I got over that I found I like the lack of clutter on my Home page(s).  Would I fall back in the saving habit, if there was a folder on my Kindle that I could relegate those read books to?  Perhaps.

Van...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I used to.  I kept all my purchased amazon books in the Kindle memory, and samples and books from other sources on my SD card.  Until one day my Kindle memory got full.  I could have moved some amazon stuff to the SD card, of course, but I decided not to confuse my "system," and I deleted some stuff instead.  I only got rid of some freebies (mostly romances) that I was unlikely to read.  I still have the vast majority of the books I've purchased on my Kindle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did for awhile but now I just archive them as I finish them.  I found that when I finished one book and started to look for the next book, it was just easier to have a short(er) list to go through to see what struck my fancy at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Samples go to the SD card.

Free stuff/classics/reference works go to the SD card

Books "to be read" are in the main Kindle memory.  When I've read them, I delete them and then go to my Media Library on amazon and give them a star rating.  In other words, I let Amazon keep track for me.  :D

I used to keep back issues of the newspaper and blogs, but decided that was silly. I just make notes if there's something I want to refer to later and keep the note. . . I can always go on-line to find the blog or newspaper article later.  Though if it's a 'special' one time issue purchase I do keep that on the SD card -- like I just picked up this week's Newsweek with Stephen Colbert as guest editor.  I'll keep it for sure at least until my son gets to see it.

When I get my DX I expect that will be used for newspapers, work stuff, and sheet music.  I'll keep my 'casual' reading on my K1 -- though I may download a book or two there to have just in case.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
When I get my DX I expect that will be used for newspapers, work stuff, and sheet music. I'll keep my 'casual' reading on my K1 -- though I may download a book or two there to have just in case.
Ann,

"When I get my DX," not "if"?

Van...

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Oh, it's definitely a 'when'. . . .. just not sure how soon. . . . I'd really like to get it before I go to my music camp in mid-July, but that might not be possible $$-wise.  DH says Christmas, but I'm pretty sure I can't wait that long. . . .. :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts