Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be recieving my replacement Kindle today. I had the very popular hairline crack in the lower left corner of my Kindle. Many people have said that the replacement usually comes with another USB plug, and in the email from Amazon it says to keep the one I already have but mentions nothing about the new one.

Do you keep it? Or send it back with the other Kindle? I'm assuming send it back, but just curious as to what others have done or been told.  :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
The first replacement kindle I got (hubby left his in the seat back pocket on an airplane) came with a new cable, and I had been instructed by the CSR not to send the old one back, so we ended up with an extra.  The second replacement kindle I got (hubby drowned the first replacement by dropping it in a pool!) did NOT come with a new cable..... The 2nd one was done as a "service replacement" for $65 and I am guessing that one was probably a refurb- but it looks and acts just like a brand new one!
The hubby is on his own if he does something to this one- I have had my K2i for 2 years and never lost or damaged mine!  I am NOT replacing another one for him if he does something stupid/clumsy with this one!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I've got an extra cable now then. Nifty. On a side note, I also remember everyone pointing out the tiny little "R" in the tree on the box that is supposed to stand for replacement. I thought it was interesting that the replacement I got today did NOT have this tiny "R". Struck me as a little odd, but there it is. I'm just happy I don't have to constantly be checking that little crack anymore. :)

Love Kindle and CS.

·
6,006 Posts
CandyJ9 said:
I guess I've got an extra cable now then. Nifty. On a side note, I also remember everyone pointing out the tiny little "R" in the tree on the box that is supposed to stand for replacement. I thought it was interesting that the replacement I got today did NOT have this tiny "R". Struck me as a little odd, but there it is. I'm just happy I don't have to constantly be checking that little crack anymore. :)

Love Kindle and CS.
I think the 'R' stands for 'refurbished', not 'replacement' so it looks like you got a brand new one! ;D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You might want to set aside when your refurbished Kindle arrives. I was surprised when I first got mine, and realized that I'd have to download all of my e-books again out of my archive.

I put it off, and then kept having the experience of discovering that the book I wanted to read *wasn't* on my Kindle, and I'd have to complete the downloading before I could read it. So finally I just sat down and downloaded every book that was in my archive -- and then I was fine!

·
Super Moderator
67,500 Posts
Another thing is to make sure you DON'T disassociate the old kindle with your account until you've downloaded books to the new one AND moved over the collections -- assuming the old Kindle was one that supported collections.  That way, once you're books are all downloaded, you can just import the same collections you had before and your books will sort themselves.  But if you've already de-registered the old Kindle there won't be any collections file to reference.

And you also want to do a 'reset to factory' on the old one so all your licenses will be restored.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much, everyone. I did manage to get all of my books downloaded to the new Kindle and my collections moved over from the old one as well. I do believe it's a brand new Kindle now, especially because once I took out the new USB wire it had the wall charger plug as well. :)

This one also has different keys than the one I'm sending back. My first one had the more "clay" style keys we talked about and my new one has the shiny plastic keys. So far I like the shiny plastic ones better. Couldn't be happier that I went ahead and called Amazon CS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.