Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Ooh, I saw it the other day. Looks pretty good. I thought OotP was pretty good, but I'm concerned that they left out
Sirius's two-way mirror, since that was pretty important in DH
. Harry Potters are some of the only movies we're willing to go to a theater to see.

·
Registered
273 Posts
July is so far away.  I saw HPTOOP in Imax 3-D. Wish I could see the future ones that way.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
marianner said:
Ooh, I saw it the other day. Looks pretty good.
Yes, it came out last week.

Thanks for posting it. It gives me chills every time I watch it. So does the one that features young Tom Riddle. Hero Fiennes-Tiffin is definitely chilling. Then it's ruined by Dumbledore in Planet of the Apes makeup and hair.

I thought OotP was pretty good, but I'm concerned that they left out
Sirius's two-way mirror, since that was pretty important in DH
They're always leaving out important things. The Marauders were never identified, for one. I definitely agree with you about your spoiler. I'm guessing they'll find a way around it, or they'll cut out the scene in
the Malfoy's basement
entirely or work it another way. The fact that they have split DH into two movies might mean they are going to keep a lot of the book. Hope springs eternal.

Harry Potters are some of the only movies we're willing to go to a theater to see.
Yes, I do spring for a ticket for the Potter movies ... popcorn, lemonade, hot dog. I do it up right. For almost any other movie (Indiana Jones being another exception), it's a waste of money for me when I can wait for the DVD and enjoy it at home.

I did get to see GoF at an IMAX theater. It was the first time I had ever been in an IMAX and we got to sit in the top row. What an experience that was.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
There are going to be some sneak peaks on ABC Family.

To add to the magic, ABC Family will also be airing exclusive first looks at the new film, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" (opening in theatres July 17, 2009), throughout the weekend's three-day event. Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson and Michael Gambon discuss the upcoming film's exciting storylines, as well as revealing insider information. ABC Family's first looks at the latest Harry Potter feature film also offer viewers a sneak peek of never-before-seen footage of love running rampant through Hogwarts, a look into Tom Riddle's past and an introduction of Hogwarts new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Horace Slughorn.

Below is the schedule for the films that weekend:
Friday, December 5th:
(7:30 - 11:00 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"

Saturday, December 6th
(1:30 - 5:00 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"
(5:00 - 9:00 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"
(9:00 PM - 12:00 AM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"

Sunday, December 7th
(12:30 - 4:30 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"
(4:30 - 7:30 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"
(7:30 - 11:00 PM ET/PT) "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (extended edition with deleted scenes)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
gertiekindle said:
To add to the magic, ABC Family will also be airing exclusive first looks at the new film, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" (opening in theatres July 17, 2009), throughout the weekend's three-day event. Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson and Michael Gambon discuss the upcoming film's exciting storylines, as well as revealing insider information. ABC Family's first looks at the latest Harry Potter feature film also offer viewers a sneak peek of never-before-seen footage of love running rampant through Hogwarts, a look into Tom Riddle's past and an introduction of Hogwarts new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Horace Slughorn.

But
Slughorn wasn't the DADA teacher!
I hope they didn't screw that up in the movie!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
marianner said:
But
Slughorn wasn't the DADA teacher!
I hope they didn't screw that up in the movie!
Obviously an error in the article. The trailer clearly shows Slughorn teaching
potions
. Remember that Harry thought it was the other way around in the book. Another JKR red herring.

If they do the mirror, they'll probably have Dumbledore give it to Harry some time during their "lessons."

The only good thing about this delay is the shorter time between the release of HBP and DH-1. It would have been two years between them otherwise. Some lucky people have seen the HBP test runs ... unedited, no music, etc. These are die-hard Potter fans, and they came away pretty happy. So, I have hope, but then again, I always do.

B

·
0 Posts
After OotP, I am leary of getting too excited. But will probably still see HBP within the first week of release.

B

·
0 Posts
LuckyRainbow said:
After PoA, I am leery of getting too excited. But will probably still see HBP within the first week of release.
Fixed. Twice. ;D

B

·
0 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
PoA
DH
DH-1
OotP

feeling dumb and totally out of it. I get HBP....

Betsy
PoA---Prisoner of Azkaban
DH---Deadly Hallows
DH1---Deadly Hallows Part 1 (They are splitting the book into 2 movies)
OotP---Order of the Phoenix

B

·
0 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
As long as I don't re-read the book beforehand and go in with low expectations, I should enjoy the movie.
I am sure Jim will second that. He hates when I re-read Harry 1-7 every 3 months or so.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
So do we (including my husband). As a matter of fact, I'm currently reading PoA to the "little ones". I just can't read the HBP book right before the movie. I did that with GoF and I got myself all excited because it's my favorite book of the series. I sat through the entire movie SO dissapointed.

My whole family adores Harry. We went to the last 2 midnight release parties for the books. We had to buy 3 copies of the book and 1 CD so we wouldn't fight over them. I think we've been to the first showing of the last 3 movies. I have the entire series in HB, PB, CD and if they were to ever kindlize it, I'd buy them all again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
As long as I don't re-read the book beforehand and go in with low expectations, I should enjoy the movie.
It's the only way to do it. Then read the book after so you can fill in the blanks.

With HBP, it's going to be a lot different. I started crying with The Cave and didn't stop until well after I closed the book. I don't think I'll have the same emotional reaction with the movie. On the other hand, when
Sirius died
in OotP, it happened so fast in the book, I didn't have time to take it in. That scene was done much better in the movie.

Have y'all got the schoolbooks? Have you pre-ordered Tales of Beedle the Bard? I went for free shipping, but I think I'll probably break down and go to WalMart to pick up a copy.

Betsy, sorry about the abbreviations. I'm used to the HP forums, and we use them a lot. DD used to be Dumbledore but after HBP, I started using Albus instead. (a moment of respectful silence, please)

Thanks for the corrections, BJ. I just don't know what I would do without you.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Have you listened to the audio version of HBP? Jim Dale has always done a good job, but OMG! I can't even listen to the end of the book because I'm crying so hard. The cave sceen is his best ever.
I'll have to see if they have it at the library when I go Friday just to listen to that part. Audio books are usually too slow for me. I always race through a good book the first time and then go back and read it for enjoyment the second time.

I don't know how I'm going to handle The Forest Again in DH-II. Dan is so good at portraying Harry's thoughts from the books. Remember the cemetery scene in GoF? Harry is behind the rock and finding the strength to come out from behind it and face Voldie. Dan did that so well.

BTW, have any of you seen Dan in My Boy Jack? It's a three hankie movie for sure. Dan was great. I didn't see a trace of Harry.

Rupert did a very good job in Driving Lessons with Julie Walters and Laura Linney who were both wonderful.

I just got my DVD of Emma Watson in Ballet Shoes yesterday. Hopefully, I'll have time to watch it tonight.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I'm the same way, rush through it once and re-read. My daughter and I both had Deathly Hallows finished before noon.

The Audio books are great for a re-read. We often have them on when we're running errands or running back and forth between soccer or gymnastics practice. My husband commutes over an hour each way and it's the only way he'll "read".

I've seen both My Boy Jack and Driving lessons and enjoyed them both. I haven't seen Ballet Shoes yet. Those kids have really grown in their acting ability since Sorcerer's Stone. Especially Emma.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts