Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My niece who is a senior in high school has to do a report on
Two foreign authors. Does anyone have any recommendations. She said she would prefer romance. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Not terribly romantic (there's a "possible" romance going on) Kaye C Hill "Dead Woman's Shoes."  It's a caper--fun and funny. 

Most of the non-US authors that come to mind are not romance authors...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Gabriela Clove & Cinnamon by Jorge Amado - a Brazilian author.  Loved it! A romantic tale (among other things...)

·
Registered
405 Posts
I love Monique Roffey who is from Trinidad and the UK. Archipelago is her latest and I like it very much. It isn't exactly romance but is a lovely read about a man and his daughter who set off in a boat after floods hit their home, and the boat even seems to be haunted. I think she's one of the top UK authors and it's not a hard read although well written. The theme of global warming is contained in the theme of flooding and pollution in the Caribbean so good essays could be written about it.

Sarah Waters is another fantastic UK author. Her novel Affinity is a kind of love story although it's mainstream but also lesbian. Her school may or may not want that - I'm not sure if it's the same there as in the UK. Sarah Waters is certainly a top literary author and a great read.

Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go has love in it and is one of my favourite books although it's very sad. I'm trying to think of romance and can only think of Maeve Binchy, the Dublin author who died last year. Wonderful woman.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Yeah, my first thought: Terry Pratchett is a foreigner. :)

If what is really wanted is something written in a language other than English and translated into that non-foreign (to me) language, I really enjoyed Death and the Penguin, by Andrey Kurkov, and I think it's pretty suitable for any age (maybe a few things I wouldn't care to have our youngest readers reading, but nothing I would be concerned about if I had a high school senior who wanted to read it).

PS: my review

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I asked over on my UK readers group.  They'll probably have some good romances.  Meantime, a fantasy with a romantic subplot:  Stained Glass Monsters (author is from Australia I believe.)  Good book.  Fun.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.