Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had a lot of talk around here about the new converters at Amazon and how if you upload html, you end up with bugs on the PaperWhite and other KF8 devices. If you upload doc or docx, you end up with indent problems and missing paragraph spacing and other "dumbed down" formatting.

So I put together a guide for how to beat both of these bugs using Word and Calibre. In addition to getting the indents right and working on the PaperWhite, it will produce a file with a valid html and NCX table of contents and an epub that passes validation (though I can't vouch for Apple as it seems to reject epubs that pass every other validator.)

I've tried to make it as simple as possible and show most of the steps or at least graphics of what buttons I'm talking about. It's not perfect. It will only work for basic text books, not picture books or anything like that. However, I think it will be a big help for people.

The guide is on my site and to be blunt, my partner and I write fetish erotica under this set of pen names. The specific link is not explicit and no explicit material will appear on the page, but if you start going clickety click click, well, you were warned. You probably also don't want it appearing on the web access logs at work.

Any feedback on it, particularly if something was hard to understand, or if you found you had different results, is more than welcome.

Link to guide

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone has any of the Nook devices and wants to check out whether or not the epub on the site works, I'd appreciate it. It's one of the things I don't have a good testing platform for.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Katie Elle said:
We've had a lot of talk around here about the new converters at Amazon and how if you upload html, you end up with bugs on the PaperWhite and other KF8 devices. If you upload doc or docx, you end up with indent problems and missing paragraph spacing and other "dumbed down" formatting.

So I put together a guide for how to beat both of these bugs using Word and Calibre. In addition to getting the indents right and working on the PaperWhite, it will produce a file with a valid html and NCX table of contents and an epub that passes validation (though I can't vouch for Apple as it seems to reject epubs that pass every other validator.)

I've tried to make it as simple as possible and show most of the steps or at least graphics of what buttons I'm talking about. It's not perfect. It will only work for basic text books, not picture books or anything like that. However, I think it will be a big help for people.

The guide is on my site and to be blunt, my partner and I write fetish erotica under this set of pen names. The specific link is not explicit and no explicit material will appear on the page, but if you start going clickety click click, well, you were warned. You probably also don't want it appearing on the web access logs at work.

Any feedback on it, particularly if something was hard to understand, or if you found you had different results, is more than welcome.

Link to guide
This worked like a charm!!!! Thank you so much! You saved me hours of time. It was an easy upload to Kobo and reloaded at Amazon with the updated Mobi file. (I'd resorted to a Word document since the end of summer because of the format issues with black text on a black background not working properly via InDesign). I'm still waiting for B & N Pubit to get it together and Apple to re-open, but I'm ready with the file. Awesome step-by-step directions! Thank you again!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts