Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reading my first book on my Kindle 2 and find quite a few formatting errors, or at least that's what I would call them. The three most prevalent errors are (1) all apostrophes are missing (such as in don't, etc.); (2) while the text is fully justified, many times the next-to-last line in a paragraph is not fully justified; (3) the letter "a" is often missing from the word "are".

Whose errors are these, and are all Kindle books replete with such errors?

Thanks,

Bondaddy

·
Registered
78 Posts
What book are you reading?

The few I've read from Amazon "No Angel" and "The Accidental Time Traveller" were fine.

B

·
0 Posts
This sounds like a formatting error. You may want to let Amazon or the publisher know about the problems.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I am currently reading book number 13 on K1 and this is the first book with some real issues.  There are a couple of places where the beginning of a letter is on one line and the rest of the letter is on the next line.  There are some blanks in paragraphs, letters missing in words.  Nothing I haven't been able to figure out, but enough to be irritating. 
deb

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Definitely let Amazon know. . .they want to be able to fix these things but won't know about them unless you tell them. . .and it's possible that if a fix comes in you'll be able to re-download the book with better formatting.

Ann

·
Registered
921 Posts
No, luckily the poorly formatted books are fairly rare.  There are several different methods of creating E-books from existing books, and some of them work much better than others.  Some publishers do a better job of converting their text than others.

I would probably EMail Amazon with the title and explain, although don't expect them to be able to actually fix the errors.  They may or may not offer to refund the book price, but either way they usually pass the concerns back to the publisher.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Actually, I have had several books with poor formatting.... Little ? in boxes... Missing first letters in chapters.... Fonts getting bigger and smaller for no apparent reason... words dropping to the next line.... All books purchased from Amazon.... I won't buy a book anymore without verifying that the sample looks OK.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
Actually, I have had several books with poor formatting.... Little ? in boxes... Missing first letters in chapters.... Fonts getting bigger and smaller for no apparent reason... words dropping to the next line.... All books purchased from Amazon.... I won't buy a book anymore without verifying that the sample looks OK.
Same here. In fact, I think I may have never gotten a book from Amazon that didn't contain some sort of formatting error.

Mike

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Any formatting errors I have had were so minor that it was not worth it to pay attention to them.  I don't get samples, so can't check that way.  If I did get one that was overly obvious I would contact Amazon though.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread. I'm currently reading a book that I paid $9.99 for and it is filled with errors. Most apostrophies are missing. All words that end with tle are changed to de (little - litde or cattle - catde). There are some words with a capital letter in the middle. Plus many other spelling errors. It's very distracting! I'll either call or email customer service tomorrow. It's been over 7 days since I bought it though so I don't know if they will be able to do anything about it.

Lynn M

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Anju said:
Any formatting errors I have had were so minor that it was not worth it to pay attention to them. I don't get samples, so can't check that way. If I did get one that was overly obvious I would contact Amazon though.
If Amazon (and/or publishers) wants me to pay $10 for a book, it had better well not have any formatting errors.

Mike

·
Registered
679 Posts
The worse erros i have seen come from Topaz formatted books. I refuse to even buy that format, even if I want the book.

i have found some minor erros otherwise, but not enough to bug me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A couple of newbie questions:

1.  How can you tell if it is a Topaz formatted book?

2.  If people are not getting their books from Amazon, where are they getting them?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
adl27, topaz is a format sometimes used to convert print books to e-books. . .it's akin to scanning the paper and using something like Optical Charactrer Recognition.  Consensus seems to be that overall formatting is not as good and quality of the visual image on the Kindle is frequently sub-par as well.

As to where to get books, check out the sticky thread in the Book Corner called "Book Lover's Links".  Tons of info there!

And welcome to KB. . .head on down to Intros and Welcomes and let us know a little about yourself if you wish!

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
adl27 said:
A couple of newbie questions:

1. How can you tell if it is a Topaz formatted book?
A couple of ways. One, if you open the book or sample, you can usually tell immediately, because it looks like a scanned book, as Ann said.

Two, if you look at the file extension (on your computer, using Windows explorer) it will be .azw1 (more common) or .tpz (rare).

Three, the size of the file is usually much larger than a typical book, ie, several megabytes (MB) instead of measured in kilobytes (KB).

Four, in the Kindle book description at Amazon, the size of the book is usually listed only in pages, not KB and pages or just KB, like this:

# Format: Kindle Edition
# Print Length: 328 pages
# Publisher: Da Capo Press (May 11, 2004)
# Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
# ASIN: B001C4TPW2

I am reading a Topaz book now and it's fine. Occasionally, in Topaz books, you'll have weird problems, like jumping ahead or back by 10 pages instead of just one.

L

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
I would urge everyone to report formatting errors to Amazon for two reasons:

1. Only Amazon can change the file in your personal library. If the publisher uploads and edited file, new readers get the new file but exiting owners will download the same file that they bought, even if they remove the original from their Kindle and download again.

2. I'm no longer 100% sure that some of the formatting errors are not actually the fault of the internal Kindle software. Several people have reported errors in my books to me that I cannot find in the source file or on my own Kindle. One example in this review on Amazon by our own FearNot:

[quote author=FearNot "BPalesch" (Lakeland, Fl USA)]
Now, if I enjoyed this so much, why didn't I give it a five star rating? It's not the author's fault. There are a few problems with the translation to the Kindle version - very small, but for some reason my eye picks them up. For example, a couple of times it appears that in the translation the "rn" combination was rendered as "m" (or maybe it was the other way around). Absolutely nothing that detracts from the story itself, just something that my eye picked up and caused a "stutter", if you will, in my reading.
[/quote]

I've done global search in the Word and HTML source documents for erroneous r+n combinations. They do not exist. My conclusion is that only Amazon can solve this particular error.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts